“Nice food but doesn't quite live up to its potential”

Aya Lebanese Cuisine
Ranked #7,256 of 22,834 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Lebanese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Nice food but doesn't quite live up to its potential”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The always packed Aya (which has two branches in the South Wimbledon and Colliers Wood area, along with a new takeaway in town) has a lot of potential. The restaurants themselves are nice and spacious, the food is pretty good (and smells great when you walk by) and there are belly dancing nights.

However, both times we went the service was a bit slapdash. One time they'd lost our booking and then told us we'd have to eat our food in under an hour if we still wanted a table (thankfully they backed down over this). The other time was better, but service was still rather slow and one dish was forgotten. It wouldn't be so bad if service wasn't added onto the bill. However, it's worth pointing out it's BYO with no corkage charge, which is definitely a bonus. If they can sharpen up the service, then this could be a great restaurant instead of a good one.

• Visited July 2013

London
“Own experience very different to reviews”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was a bit nervous about Aya having ready such negative reviews. I wouldn't normally go to a restaurant that got such bad reviews but I was going with people who had eaten there before, who liked it and booked it. However, having now eaten there on a busy Saturday night I can't work out how it got such negative reviews. We were a group of 7, on a Saturday night when the restaurant was full. We went for the cold/hot meze. I simply can't find anything to justify the criticisms that people have made about the food and the service. I would happily recommend Aya. The contrast between the reviews on TA and my experience could not be greater.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank LondonAndyG
London, United Kingdom
“Going downhill - Stay Clear”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I was a massive fan of Aya, so decided to treat my family to a takeaway. They failed to include all the items ordered but still had the cheek to charge us for it. When we realised this and gave them a call, they said that they could not have charged us because they don't sell chicken Shawarma!!! We pointed out that they had included it in the receipt, and the charming guy on the phone tells us that 'they're busy...how can they be expected to keep on top of all the orders' So why take orders and my MONEY then Aya??

Disgusted by their service and will not be eating there again!

• Visited August 2013
“Stay clear of this restaurant”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Very poor service, did not really understand English , overpriced for what I had so would never recommend this place to anyone

• Visited July 2013
“Avoid. Poor food and service”
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I go out a lot to restaurants in London. This was one of our worst experience.

Awful restaurant with poor service, rude waitress and manager. Never known any restaurant to take food off your plate because the portions was too big. Also when asked for more bread or jug of water to be refilled, was told by the waitress that she was too busy.

Food very average, cold. The grilled chicken and lamb was so dry.

The only good thing was the belly dancing.

Expensive. Avoid.

I will definitely not be returning there.

Visited July 2013