“When You Wish Upon A Star”
Review of Northern Belle

Northern Belle
Ranked #39 of 723 Tours in London
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Evoking the opulent "Belles" of the 1930s, this luxurious yet intimate train explores Britain's most beautiful countryside. The superb on-board cuisine is created using locally sourced specialities, all paired with fine wines and Champagnes. The wide variety of day trips includes visits to destinations such as Edinburgh, Bath and the Lake District, and events including Ladies' Day at Ascot and the Chelsea Flower Show. Departures from more than 65 stations around the UK.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift
Reviewed 26 June 2014

A wonderful journey on board such a beautiful train, my grandson, daughter and I will remember it always, from the staff who were polite, respectful, attentive and cheerful. We were welcomed onboard with a smile, seated in what only can be described as a luxury carriage with beautiful decor and served delicious food. A100% perfect experience not to be missed, thank you Northern Belle and When You Wish Upon A Star xx

Jeanette_Snape, General Manager at Northern Belle, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

It was our absolute pleasure to have the Wish children and families aboard our train. The work done by the When You Wish Upon A Star team is amazing. All the credit for this special day belongs with them.
It was lovely to read that you enjoyed the journey and the time at Alnwick Castle - the broomstick flying lessons were my personal favorite!
Please pass on our best wishes to your grandson and daughter from all the Northern Belle team.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I surprised my wife with this trip for her birthday. We were both absolutely blown away with the gorgeous food, the lovely staff, the fantastic service they provide and the experience as a whole. We'll most certainly be doing it again. I couldn't rate it highly enough.

1  Thank philtom
Jeanette_Snape, General Manager at Northern Belle, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

It is always a pleasure to read how much our guests have enjoyed their time with us. It really does mean a lot to our team to know they helped make your wife's birthday a memorable one.
Bath is a beautiful city all year round but it was lovely to visit on such a gloriously sunny day.

Please pass on a belated happy birthday to your wife and we do hope we will see you both again soon.

Thank you for choosing to travel on the Belmond Northern Belle.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Travelled with friends to Ascot for Ladies day. We have travelled previously on this train, the British Pullman and overnight to Venice. The service is always exemplary and adds to the whole occasion. The decadence of the carriages and the table settings makes you feel like Royalty for the day. I can only endorse all the previous positive reviews.
However, this time I would say that the dinner menu was good but not great. Chicken with butter beans and fondant potato presented a very beige plate of food. The temperature of the food was warm rather than hot. The quality of the ingredients was high, and I only mention these points as comparison to previous offerings.
The second negative point was that the timing of the train departure meant that you either had to miss the last race ( and no opportunity to sing around the Bandstand) or see the race and run like mad to get back to the station. This was not easy as the Police control all of the traffic lights meaning you could wait a long time to cross the road. We made it back to the station with minutes to spare. Sadly a number of other Customers did not. The train departed leaving them behind with their personal possessions still on board. Being stranded dressed in all your finery would not have been a good experience, never mind that the journey had cost a considerable amount of money and they lost out on the main dining experience. I do appreciate train timings, however this did leave a slightly sour note, as we were all advised we could leave the course after the last race had finished.
The day for us however remained magical and will be remembered for all the right reasons for a very long time

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review. All feedback from guests is most welcome and is a fantastic mechanism for improvement. All the team at the Belmond Northern Belle are commited to creating unique experiences and special memories for our guests.

Whilst I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the day at the races I was disappointed that on this occasion our food did not quite hit the spot. Based on your feedback our team of chefs are busy reworking this dish. We always try to use seasonal,fresh and where possible local produce all inspired by the views from the train window. We would have welcomed the opportunity to rectify this on the day and our head chef would have been happy to offer an alternative. I am genuinely sorry that we failed to wow you. This is always our aim.

In respect of the departure time from Ascot once again I am sorry that there was a rush back to the station. My understanding is that the final race of the day was delayed by race organisers. Whilst this is outside of our control I do understand your frustrstions. Unfortunately as is the case with airlines our train must depart at our alloted time slot. Failure to do so results in delays across the railway network and potentially the loss of a train path home. It was exceedingly unfortunate that some guests failed to return to the platform ready for departure. We always stress on all our literature and verbally once onboard that we cannot wait for late arrivals. We will review all aspects of our Ascot day when planning our 2015 event.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope we will see you back aboard soon.

Best wishes from all the team.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I travelled to Ascot Ladies Day on the Northern Belle . We had a great time along with service which was second to none from the representative who met us at the station through to the stewards on board and the magnificent food . My only gripe was having to be back on board for 6pm when the last race is at 5.35 , we left promptly but only just got in the train before it left after being held up by the royal party leaving and waiting to cross the road , maybe this could be addressed for next year .

Many thanks for your feedback on our recent trip. It was great to read that you enjoyed the day at the Races. It is certainly one of the highlights of our schedule made extra special this year by the glorious sunshine!
The final race at Ascot was delayed by the course organisers which did reduce the time avaliable between the last event and the trains departure. We will certainly take your comments onboard for next year.
Best wishes from all the team.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

May I publicly thank all the staff of the Northern Belle (particularly Chris and stewards on 'Alnwick') for making our first journey and experience onboard so pleasurable and memorable. Service, food, and sparkling 'refreshments' during our return day visit to Bath were first class! Thank you Maddy for organising. If you're thinking about a trip, stop thinking and do it, a tremendous experience, we'll be back, Edinburgh tattoo next year for us!
Thank you!
Ian and Julie.

Thank you very much for your kind words. It is always a pleasure to read how much our guests have enjoyed their time aboard. We do hope it's the first of many journeys with us.
Until next time best wishes from all the team at the Belmond Northern Belle.