“Great hotel with great services.”
Review of Boston Manor Hotel

Boston Manor Hotel
Ranked #787 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Great hotel with great services.”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed for nearly 2 weeks at this hotel and I was so pleasantly surprised after reading some reviews on the site.

If you're looking for a nice comfortable clean well located close to all amenities with full English breakfast included and free wifi throughout the hotel and free parking plus rooms get cleaned daily, then look no further than this hotel.

This hotel is a 10 minute walk from boston manor station, a 20 seconds walk to bus links to ealing broadway station, there is a newsagent underneath the hotel, there is a nice restaurant in the hotel as well as a lovely selection of restaurants minutes walk from this hotel.

One thing I just don't understand is why some people try to smear such hotels especially ones that offer great value for money. ln my opinion it is not fair to attack such hotels with horrible reviews, some of these reviews can be a difference between keeping a business open or being forced to close it, after all everybody read reviews before booking nowadays.

what made me write a review for this hotel today is many aspects but the most important was that the staff was very very helpful in all situations no matter how small which in itself can be the difference between a pleasant stay or not.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank docjasim
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Guest
We were all very pleased to read your favourable review, and we’re glad you enjoyed our hotel.
You’ve picked out good personal service as the biggest factor in an enjoyable stay, and this is fully confirmed across 25 years of successful hotel management. In our own case, it’s a family-run business, where the staff are also treated like part of the family, so there is none of this reluctant attitude that you sometimes find in the big impersonal outlets. Good service really is as important as the amenities themselves. And as you point out, it’s often the little touches that can add essential charm to the hotel experience - we call it the difference between ‘satisfactory’ and ‘satisfying’.
You also say that you’re baffled by some of the hostile reviews written about us on Tripadvisor. So are we. Many of the claims can be disproved outright. Others are so exaggerated that they cannot be taken seriously. It is hard to see why anyone would want to damage our good reputation in this way, and it is also abusing a much-respected travel website. But favourable reports by people of goodwill like yourself may help to redress the balance. So once again, thank you. And we hope to welcome you again before long.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Llanberis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

On the outside, this hotel looks fairly decent. However, the room we were given was filthy. There was a strong pungent smell of dampness and urine, the light switches and bathroom pull-cord were brown with dirt, the carpets were sticky, the furniture was old and grotty.
The shower was a pathetic electric affair without any force whatsoever. I refused to use it
The bathroom tiles were covered in grey mould.
Cold water would only trickle out of the taps.
The kettle was broken and dirty.
The window looked out on to a fire escape and there was a smell of sewage outside
I hardly slept a wink in this doss house and would have been happier sleeping in my car.
This is probably the worst £60 I ever spent.
Do not stay here!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Iwan P
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Guest,
I would not normally reply to a review that is so wildly inaccurate, but I feel I cannot leave it up on the site, where readers may think it reflects the true standard of our service.
All our rooms are cleaned daily, and inspected by the management before new guests are allowed to occupy them. This totally rules out your claims about dirt, mould and damp, which could not possibly have built up in the way you suggest.
Hotels have to have fire-escapes, which are bound to be overlooked by some of the rooms, and it is not too surprising that these will be among the cheaper ones, as in your case. Our drainage systems have been in proper working order as long as we can remember, so the complaint about bad odours is inexplicable. And your reports about the shower and the cold-water tap are equally far-fetched.
The ageing furniture is possibly the one shortcoming that we would acknowledge. Guests do mention this from time to time, and we have found that it can make the rooms look less hygienic than they really are.
But as we make clear to all guests, there is a 24-hour reception, where your complaints can be attended-to without delay. If this number of grievances were all genuine, the person on the desk would immediately have offered you another room without question.
Finally, your mention of the broken kettle sounds like an earlier complaint, when we did, very exceptionally, provide a kettle that had become unserviceable. Some recent respondents have clearly been combing the back-reviews for negative comments, and then reproducing them afresh, for malicious reasons. It is impossible not to feel that you may be one of these respondents.

incidentally below is a review posted by a guest who recently stayed with us.

A review has been posted by 'Mr. Robert Veal' see below:

Review:
'Comfortable & quite sufficient room and suited us well for a modest price. A bit tight getting up stairs with luggage but that is quite common in UK & Europe, but staff were helpful in regard to that anyway.'

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

After reading some of the reviews for this hotel I must admit I was sceptical at best when booking this hotel for a 10 day business trip to London, But I was so surprised by the welcoming aspects to this hotel, nice clean well-sized rooms with clean en-suits, Free WiFi Throughout, Full Breakfast included, Free Parking, Welcoming, smiling, "happy to help" hotel staff. There is an in-house Nepalese restaurant as well.

All in all it was a pleasure to stay at this hotel, conveniently located, 10 Minutes walk to Boston Manor Tube Station, 2 Minutes Walk To Elthorne Park, Bus Link To Ealing Broadway In Under 12 Minutes, All That For £60 Per night for 2 people. Now That Is a BARGAIN !!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for your appreciative report about your recent stay at Boston Manor Hotel.
Like other visitors, you sound almost surprised that a comfortable room with friendly service and good amenities can be found at such a low price, so close to central London. Well, it’s true that there aren’t many quiet little village-enclaves in the inner suburbs, so we do enjoy a virtually unique location. And a hotel run by the same family for 25 years is liable to provide a degree of personal service that can’t be found elsewhere. A 10-day business trip is easily long enough to test the facilities in detail, so your report carries special credibility.
On that point, we’re glad you chose to ignore some of the more extreme critiques that have been arriving here on Tripadvisor in the last few months. Perhaps you felt they rattled a bit. We can certainly confirm that most of them are totally without foundation, though we do not understand why this smear-campaign is being directed at us at all. But it is a serious abuse of the site, where frank and honest opinions are meant to be posted for the attention of management and guests alike. As professional hoteliers, we are always ready to listen to constructive complaints, though we have found that very few of them actually demonstrate poor value for money.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I’ve stayed at this hotel a number of times now because it offers superb value for money (for London); is within walking distance from the Tube; and the food is absolutely delicious (and plentiful!!).

There is a Nepalese in-house restaurant and I have recommended it to my London friends as a superb place to dine – I do not exaggerate – the food tastes so fresh and is amazing! The breakfast is always really good and plentiful to the point that I usually skip lunch.

As for the rooms that I have stayed in, these have varied in sizes but have been of a good size and the beds are very clean and comfy. The hotel is a large conversion of residential properties, I think, which is why the room sizes can vary but I have never experienced any issues with the amenities. I’ve read some other reviews before writing mine and have to say that it is easily forgotten what excellent value for money this place provides – most essentially, the rooms and bathrooms are clean and well maintained. The linen and towels are clean too. I see that someone on here has mentioned fire escape routes? Really? This is a hotel and I’m sure its subject to some stringent regulations!!

The fact that breakfast , parking and wifi is included in the price makes it a bargain.
Something that I hate when I stay within UK hotels generally is the staff’s lack of genuine desire to provide guest-service. At this hotel, the staff are always very welcoming, happy, smiley and genuine.

I am happy to stay here over and over again. If you want value for money in London, its fantastic.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for highlighting our principal benefit, which is exceptional value for money within easy reach of central London.
A lot of people use the nearby main roads for years, without ever realising that there is a quiet backwater just round the corner, able to provide low-cost accommodation and free parking in a long-established family-run hotel with high standards of service.
We’re glad you got the point about fire-safety - so obvious really. All hotels have to pass official safety inspections, so if we didn’t provide adequate exits, suitably signed, we wouldn’t be allowed in business. And like most guests, you didn’t find the layout of the corridors to affect the enjoyment of your stay. Some reviewers are just hard to please - either that, or they may be complaining for vexatious reasons.
Finally, it’s also nice to know that our generous breakfast servings may have saved you the cost of a lunch! And that you appreciated the quality of the Nepalese cuisine in our much-acclaimed restaurant - something well beyond what you would expect to find at our price-level.
Happy travelling, and I hope we may have the pleasure of seeing you again.
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Nice, clean, comfortable hotel. Nothing fancy but the prices are extremely reasonable. Our room was clean and bright with a huge bed!

The free parking in the car park behind the hotel was a real boon.

The service is really helpful and friendly; our greeting at reception was warm and welcoming and we were shown to our room by a very friendly gentleman who carried our luggage. The service at breakfast was also good.

Although the location isn't that convenient for public transport, it's only a 10 minute walk or quick bus ride to the nearest tube station.

We've stayed a couple of times now, and will probably stay again - a testament to the hotel in itself!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to place your comments.

It was most heartwarming to hear you confirm the many advantages that we provide over competitively priced outlets.

A friendly and helpful reception service makes a big difference to the relationship between management and guest, and this goes with the culture of a family-run hotel  -  as does the generous cooked breakfast, which is a popular speciality of the house.

We’re glad you were comfortable in your well-kept room with its big bed. More and more of our rooms are being refurbished to this level, as we are steadily raising our game, while remaining highly affordable.

Like many other visitors, you were struck by the rare privilege of spacious free parking, which is not only most convenient, but contributes to the restful atmosphere at the back of the building  -  almost like a peaceful country town.

As for the public transport links, these may actually have been better than you realized, as Hanwell is a less-known suburb. But within a few minutes’ walk, you’ve got a vast range of options for rail, bus and tube links to all parts of the city and beyond  -  as you may discover next time round, since you kindly say you’re considering a return visit. My staff and I very much hope it happens.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Don't expect the Ritz but if you're looking for a cheap place to stay in London, this is ideal. Decor is a bit dated but clean room and en suite bathroom. At little noisy if you are at front of hotel because of traffic. Nice breakfast and excellent service. Ideal for Wembley as only 20 min drive or you can get the bus or tube. Also ideal to get back on M40.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jo W
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you taking the time to share your comments about your stay.

I’m glad that you and your friends found Boston Manor Hotel to be such a good stopover for the Wembley concerts.

As not everyone knows Hanwell, people are pleasantly surprised to find how easy it is to travel between the two locations, and back on to all the main arteries too. Of course, the road at the front does generate unavoidable traffic-noise at times, as you found, but many of our rooms on the other side feel like a quiet village backwater.

No, you won’t get luxury at our prices, but you will get the cheap, clean and comfortable stay you were wanting. We hope the dated decor didn’t impact too much on your enjoyment; in any case, furnishings and fittings are being steadily replaced, as part of our ongoing refurbishment programme. Meanwhile we’re glad you appreciated the quality of our personal service, as well as the cooked breakfast which has become very much of a trademark, often commented-on by satisfied guests.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We thought about keeping it a secret, but others need to know that for a cheap, no-frills London stay this hotel is a gem of a bargain.

After acquiring some Killers tickets a few weeks before the show, I charged my husband with booking the hotel. On coming home from work his face was full of glee at finding a room for 2 with breakfast for £60. Sceptical I asked, "Does it have parking?" he replied even more pleased, "Yes, and free parking at that!" Even more sceptical: "Did you check the reviews on Trip Advisor?" "Erm, no," came his sheepish reply. I logged on and the first review was along the lines of, "We pulled up to the hotel and didn't even venture in." As you can imagine I was less than impressed, but with no hotel room available in West London for under £200 we decided to go for it. Bracing myself for a dirty weekend of the wrong kind (I joked about packing our own sheets) we set off down the M4.

Finding the hotel was easy, come off at Junction 3, onto the A312, then the A4, and a sneaky left turn onto Boston Road and we were at our destination. The street frontage of the hotel looks markedly different from the photos here, and the back has had a lick of paint in shades of blue with fancy new signage. Slightly more encouraged we ventured in to be met by a very friendly receptionist, who advised us that the best route to Wembley is the direct bus (83) that you catch just down the road. So far so good.

Yes, it does smell like curry in the lobby which is due to the Nepalese restaurant on the ground floor, and the delicious spice aroma has subtly permeated the intriguingly quaint maze of corridors upstairs. So if curry's not to your liking, you may want to steer clear, it was a shame we didn't have chance to sample the food ourselves, though.

We were shown to our room - a nice touch and something of a necessity given the lay out - and on entering with baited breath we were met with a small, comfortable and clean room (238). The bathroom looked like it had recently been redecorated, the bed had crisp, white linen and my only real niggle was the fact that there was a single duvet on the bed instead of a double which was no biggie to us - I would have requested a bigger one had it been winter, though. Tea and coffee facilities were a nice addition, however I will suggest to maintenance that the TV socket be replaced as when we arrived the cover was on the floor. Although we didn't stay for the breakfast, it did look nicer than some more expensive places I've stayed - but don't expect a buffet of glutinous proportions found in some chain hotels.

So to sum up, yes it's cheap, but it's clean, friendly and has great access to Wembley. Probably not the setting for a romantic rendez-vous, but perfect for bedding down for a night or two while exploring London and taking in a show.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Rajsondh, Guest Relations Manager at Boston Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Dear Guest ,

Thank you for your stay.

You’ve positioned us perfectly with your summing-up - cheap, clean and friendly.
Clearly our personal service registered favourably with you, especially the cordial greeting at reception, and the courtesy of escorting you to your room. (Incidentally, the receptionist would have been happy to replace your single duvet with a double, if you’d asked.)
As we’ve been conducting a major refurbishment programme, it’s nice to know that the quality of the accommodation is appreciated. I also note that you were quite surprised to find such good value within easy reach of the centre, with spacious free parking too.
We acknowledge that the appetising scent of gourmet Nepalese cuisine may not be everyone’s preference, and guests cannot avoid these odours at certain times. Remember that our standards of catering have been praised again and again, as being far above the normal at our price-level.
On that point, I’m sorry you missed your chance to sample either our fine dining, or the generous cooked breakfast that so many of our guests comment on.
Finally, thank you for deciding not to make a secret of your appreciation, and for kindly contributing this review to Tripadvisor!