“Dirty rooms and surly staff”

Holiday Villa Hotel and Suites London
Ranked #852 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 September 2008

Reception staff on our arrival can best be described as 'surly' and very uninviting. We felt that we were intruding on their domain and not welcome guests. These people even went as far as to have loud arguments about whose roles was what regarding guests. One such argument happened in front of the room full of breakfast patrons.
There was an occasional exception to this sort of attitude but that was rare. Staff didn't seem to know what their roles were and there seemed to be areas of overlap causing friction.
We overheard one American Guest in the elevator commenting about the computerized voice that announced the floors " you know this is the friendliest voice I have heard in this place". This captured our thoughts as well.

The management of the breakfast facility was lax---only on one day of our 8 day stay was there any check of who was attending the included breakfast---any one off the street could have wondered in!

We wrote to the Hotels' headquarters 2 months ago with pictures but got no answer---they are obviously not interested in fixing the problems

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 September 2008

I spent four nights at the hotel in September 2008. It's a short walk from the Queensway tube station, so easy to get to (if the tube line is working!) and nearby Bayswater road provides good bus links. On foot you are close to Notting Hill, Hyde Park, Marble Arch and Portobello Market.

I shared a twin room with my friend. It was average sized, all you need really if you're sightseeing all day. And most importantly was clean. There was a fan in the room and a television with freeview channels. The hairdryer supplied was old fashioned - girls take your own if you are fussy about your hair! The room was serviced everyday.

Breakfast was served between 7am and 10am and was pretty standard - bread, crossaints, cereals and jams. As well as tea, coffee and fruit juice. Nothing fancy, but again enough to set you up for the morning. It was set up like a buffet so you could go back for more.

The staff were friendly and polite. We also bought discounted tickets from the front desk which saved us money on some attractions.

Overall a pleasant stay, no major complaints. Perfect if you just want somewhere to crash after a long days sightseeing.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2008

I stayed at the HV London from the 31st July till 4th Aug this year with my elderly parents. We got lost looking for the hotel because our taxi driver did not know the exact location!

When we arrived, my father went to check us in and when we
got to our room (which was a double), we were surprised because the room was just big enough for the double bed and dressing table! Tired and feeling nausea, I stayed in the room while my father went back to the reception to ask for a bigger room. I made myself a cup of hot tea, and feeling revived, I was about to look for my parents when a hotel staff came to the room and told me that our luggage will be taken to our new room. Hmm... I thought, my father must have worked his charm with the lady on duty that afternoon at the reception counter!

The second room was big enough, it had a double bed and 2 tvs with a sofa sitting area. The bathroom was really nice and big too! Yes, as a Muslim, we found it hard to find space to place our prayer mat and perform our daily prayer, but we managed to find space.

Before arriving at the hotel, I've read some of the reviews and found them not helpful at all, because how could I judge something I've not seen and experienced? I was prepared for anything, and some things that stood out for me was the friendliness of the "lady" on the day that we arrived, Ms.A, she even came to our room, once, to make sure everything was okay, she apologized to me and tried to explain a mistake she made on the bill she presented to MY father, she issued me a new hotel room card without extra charge when I accidently placed the original elsewhere and everytime she saw us she waved and gave us a big smile. Little did I know she was from Malaysia, because during our first encounter, she spoke English with British accent and when she suddenly spoke in Malay, I was pleasantly surprised! During our stay, I had a chance to meet the Manager of the hotel's son, who worked part-time at the restaurant, very helpful and always ready with a smile, a Malaysian student working part-time, A, who showed me places of interest on the map one evening at the reception counter when there were no customers, Ms. N, whom I met one bright morning, she was very cheerful and friendly, Mr. M, who also showed me places of interest on the map, another Mr. M, whom I called one early morning to ask for the iron, and he said I can use it at no charge, because I think he was leaving his night shift in half an hour and said to just mention his name when I return the iron and board to the reception, and when I did, the staff just nodded and smiled at me! (the hotel asks for a 10 pound deposit and for each hour, they charge one pound)!

The food... no complains. I'm grateful that the breakfast and dinner that we had at the hotel was adequate and full of variety. I don't want to sound bias, since I am a Malaysian and a Muslim and HV is a Malaysian run hotel, but the food was good and HALAL. The restaurant staff, every morning, never fail to smile and serve us well. The breakfast spread which consisted of cereals, buns, juices, jams, toasts, slices of cheese made it easy for my father to choose what he wanted, since he was a fussy eater and was on medication. And you can even order nasi lemak (rice cooked in coconut milk with condiments such as egg, slices of cucumber, fried chicken), roti canai (3 pieces of this famous Malaysian breakfast with a big bowl of chicken curry serving!). I can never forget the creaking sound of the wooden floor at the food area every morning during breakfast, I didn't know whether to laugh out loud or tell the stranger next to me about it, guess I'll keep it as special memory of my exprience in Holiday Villa, London 2008.

Location wise, like been said in previous reviews, HV is situated very conveniently. As you step outside the hotel, (while I was there, the front facade was adorned with colorful flowers and a sight to behold), the shops are all within walking distance. Tesco, Boots, Whitleys shopping centre (they have a Mark&Spencer department), tube station, travel agency, post office, groceries, souvenir shops.. So, make HV your choice of accommodation during your next stay in London!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2008

My wife and I stayed here for about 9 days at the end of June 2008 with our 3 teenagers. We booked a double and a triple. The triple was spacious enough for 3 teenagers but the double was rather small - just big enough for 2 of us and our bag. As it was summer rooms could be a bit stuffy at times - no air conditioners. With the windows open it was okay but then street noise became a factor. Ask for rooms on the side away from the street.
Rooms were clean, tea and coffee replenished daily and the continental breakfast adequate if a trifle boring. Staff were friendly if not all fluent in English.
Easy access to the Bayswater and Queensway Tube and walking distance to Paddington Station and Hyde Park. Plenty of pubs and restaurants within 10 minutes walk.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2008

this hotel is not a recommended one. For those whom usually stayed in Holiday Inn or 4 stars hotel anywhere in the world, please don't choose this hotel. It won't offer you that COMFORT and luxury touch!

We stucked in our room for quite some time since the booking was made from hotel.com website. I was feeling horrible all the way during our stay. The room was so small.. in fact can just fit in one queen size bed, toilet area, dress table, tv bench and small corner for bags. I had to move things around to make space for prayer. That was bad!

Breakfast was bad too. Been served same menu 3 days.. plain yogurt, prune, cereals, cheese slice and croissant+bread slice. In next 3 days.. just change the prune to pineapple cubes! arrggghh...

So please consider Holiday Inn Hyde Park for same convenient- close to tube station and other transport access.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 July 2008

The place is owned by a Malaysian Company and judging from the decor has been decorated to Malayan tastes but the reception is grand enough. Reception staff all exclusively eastern European so don't bother asking any questions about tourists sights or local restaurants. The room where we stayed is small and felt a bit stuffy. When we asked for the remote control for the aircon we were told it would cost £20. No way. We did however plug the aircon in and switched it on (without thermostat control). Breakfast was average. Many Malaysian tourists milling around.

Plus points are the location. Very nice leafy street away from the hassle and bustle. If you just want a basic bed for the night then its fine. Overall judgment, I wouldn't stay there again unless I got a really good deal for less than £70 per night.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank martinryder1956
Reviewed 26 June 2008

Preparing for our London trip in March this year, we chose Holiday Villa as our hotel, giving it had three strengths:
1) Absolutely brilliant location both for the Tube, walking and taking the taxi;
2) Breakfast included in the room price;
3) Not over-priced.
And we were indeed content with our stay. Sure, it is nothing fancy and doesn't make you want to spend your days there as well. But it isn't a nightmare as well.
The staff was friendly and helpful, carrying our luggage up, helping us with the Internet and greeting us cheerfully at breakfast. Beds were made, towels changed and everything arranged daily.
The room was definitely very small but that's not unusual for London; the bathroom was quite big, given the size of the room. We had a small problem with the water that was only freezing cold or unbelievably hot but we solved the problem quickly.
Overall, I think it is worth the money, especially if you're not willing to spend too much money on a hotel but want decent things from it. Next time when in London, I'll be going back there.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends