“Lovely room, service and location.”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #166 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sussex
“Lovely room, service and location.”
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Large room with incredibly comfy bed, absolutely no noise on the sixth floor and lovely views of the Eye and Big Ben.
Shower door leaked terribly causing a flood on the polished floor tiles and there was no iPod dock as stated, just a phono wall plate connection to use the tv speakers.
Staff and service was first class but our stay was let down by the £23 bill for two cocktails in the bar. Even for London prices that's ridiculous for two glasses of ice!
Would happily stay again but would stay clear of buying anything in the hotel!

• Stayed January 2012
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 23 January 2012
Dear Ben

A very happy New Year from the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel team. I am very grateful for your feedback following your stay.

It is so really lovely to hear that overall you had a great stay. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed a comfortable night sleep which is always reassuring. We do provide IPOD stations in Junior Suite categories and above, I imagine this is the category which you reserved with us. Please do accept my apologies regarding the shower door, we are doing an in-depth check today and will have that matter resolved, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

With regards to our cocktail prices, this has been mentioned in other reviews. I feel it maybe relevant at this point to highlight that the cocktail menu does list a selection of cocktails from £6.25 to £11.00 per cocktail, these prices are of course subject to service charge which would be normal. We do use quite a few premium brands such as Grey Goose, Belvedere, Tanqueray, Moet & Chandon, various Cognac's amongst others as key ingredients. The prices are reasonable when considering the location and category of the Hotel. I am nevertheless grateful for your opinion.

Thank you again for your feedback and I am looking forward to seeing you soon. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.

Michael Cheung

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed a few years ago, my partner and i both saw a ghost, it was a man in a black cloak(mid length) and hat,very short in height, he ran in front of us and into the lift, as the doors closed, i pressed them to open and to our shock there was nobody in the lift!!! This was thrilling and shocking to us as we both saw the same thing (we were sober) lol - just wondered if you could let us know if you or anyone else has ever reported seeing anything at this hotel.... did some research and it used to be The Royal dental hospital and the building dates back to 1858.... plenty of history as you'd agree!!! let us know, we would love to return to the hotel and maybe do a ghost hunt in the lift area... fascinating!!!! Great hotel

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sallyanne13
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Sally Anne

This is truly fascinating. I have been asking a few colleagues who have spent a "number" of years working here at the Hotel but none the wiser I am afraid to say. Please do call me at your earliest convenience as I would appreciate hearing more....

A very happy New Year from the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel team in the meantime.

Yours sincerely
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel through last minute 'top secret' hotels for a one night stay. It was excellently located, right on Leicester Square (which is unfortunately undergoing major building work at the minute- absolutely not the hotel's fault but be aware if you're looking for a view).

The staff were all friendly and pleasant. No criticism.

We booked a double on the deal above. However when we got there it was really small, specifically the bed. We realised, being used to a king sized bed at home, that we would not be able to sleep in such a small double. We cant blame the hotel for this but its a good learning point for us. We ended up paying quite a lot for an upgrade but the new room was significantly better. The staff handled the room change promptly and professionally.

The hotel was clean and in good order throughout but pretty dated in my view. I have stayed in much more stylish 4 stars so am somewhat surprised that it has 5 stars.

2 Thank gjtr
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2012
Dear Reviewer

I have read with interest your feedback and appreciate the constructive manner in which you have written your account. It is a shame that you appear to have booked the wrong room type although I am pleased that we had some king bedded rooms still available that you could upgrade to. King Beds do of course that extra space which we all appreciate. The Hampshire has been an established 5 Star Hotel for many many years now, we are about to carry out work on a sample suite and bedroom which is of course the first step to a major redevelopment of our product. Having said that we will still retain a welcoming modern classic feel to the building. This work is currently planned with minimal disruption to guest comfort.

I am very grateful for your kind feedback regarding both the staff at the Hotel and the experience which you had whilst staying at the Hotel.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.

Jerusalem
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Even though London's digging up Leicester Square for the Olympics, it couldn't dampen our 20th or so visit to the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire. For us, there's no better place to enjoy an extended weekend (or longer) filled with theater, cinema, fine dining and shopping. Roll out of your comfortable bed in the morning, and you are in the thick of things, footsteps away from all of the above. The hotel is lovely, the staff attentive and ever-helpful, from newly appointed GM Mr. Cheung to concierge team Alex and Daniel. We wouldn't stay anywhere else on our regular England visits.

Room Tip: A must to face Leicester Square, the back view is unpleasant. There are some real reduced rates on v...
Dear Charley

It is so really lovely to hear that you had a great stay. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed both the location and the helpful nature of the team here at the Hotel which is much appreciated. We have of course passed on your thanks to both Alex and Daniel at our Concierge team. It was really lovely meeting you whilst you stayed ! When you return I must show you our second shop front, i.e. the upper floors to the Hampshire which front onto Trafalgar Square with such amazing views, I am pleased that on your next visit you will be able to experience this aspect to the Hotel.

Our Warmest of wishes from the Hampshire Hotel.

Jarnac, France
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Have just returned to France after a wonderful 4-night stay at the Hampshire. The hotel is smaller than many other Radisson hotels - which gave it a more intimate, "boutique" hotel feel. The staff were extremely polite and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The room was superb - a suite on the 7th floor with a spacious stitting area, a huge bed and a large office area (with enough electrical sockets for anyone's needs). The shower in the bathroom even had a "steam room" function. The room faced south with panoramic views over the London Eye, Nelson's column and the Houses of Parliament - a really beautiful view. The room, like the main guest areas, was very nicely decorated - there were white orchids all over the hotel. The location is superb - will definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CharlieYM
Bridport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Have to agree about the comunication of the staff was quite bad i couldnt understand them and they couldnt understand me. i arrived at 3.40 pm after putting a 3pm arrival time on my booking and the room wasnt ready which would of been fine normally but we were due to watch a show at 6 and wanted to grab dinner and have a shower before we watched it. they did manage to sort the room within 20mins after i said it wasnt good enough. when getting to the room all we could smell was a very strong cleaning product which even after telling the staff about was there till we left the next day but i didnt have enough time or energy to complain any futher. i would say for the money you spend there probably are better hotels. i would not choose this hotel again. Average for what you are paying for. stayed in a junoir suite.

Dear Robert

I was disappointed to have read of your experience following your recent stay here at the Hotel. Please do accept my apologies for the delay with access to your bedroom which is thankfully, irregular to say the least. I am sorry that you experienced the mysterious cleaning scent you have referred to again whilst irregular we are keeping a close eye on this. If you would like to call me just to let me know which room number you have stayed in that would be appreciated as we do have an abundance of Junior Suites.

CYPRUS
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Booked it through club carlson membership. Paid GBP 185 per room (2 rooms). Breakfast was not included. The 2 rooms were on the first floor. The one was like a jail and the otherone had a very noisy head system.
So booking through any kind of "club" seems not worth. Do not have any 'extra' treatment.
Personel was friendly.

Room Tip: View the room first.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Demis

I was disappointed to have read of your experience following your recent stay here at the Hotel. Club Carlson guests do enjoy a series of benefits whilst staying at the Hotel although depending on the level of the card would normally suggest which benefits are guaranteed and which benefits are subject to availability. Club Carlson Gold and Concierge levels do offer some amazing benefits as guaranteed, whilst I am not sure which level of card you hold, my suggestion would be to understand the benefits per level as the higher the level, items such as upgrades, complimentary breakfast and much more are guaranteed. It would be odd to compare a hotel room like a prison but I am grateful nevertheless for your opinion!

Really pleased to see that you found the staff here to be friendly. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again at the Hampshire Hotel. Thank you again for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.