“our stay in the radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, Leicester Square during building work.”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #113 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Have just had a wk end in London on Sat 28th.Despite the major building work around Leicester Square we were still able to get by car within a stones throw of the hotel for valet parking where the concierge and door staff came to meet us and access to the hotel is not impaired in any way if you are walking to it.

Leicester Square does look like a building site but the location of this hotel is still fantastic.

The rooms are nice with good facilities but a little dated and the staff, breakfast and bar were excellent.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the 6th floor to the rear of the hotel.
1  Thank Joanna H
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Dear Johanna

Warm greetings from an otherwise very chilly London from the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel team. I am very grateful for your feedback following your stay.

I have read with much interest your review regarding the works on the Square which are scheduled to finish during first week of April and a very exciting opening ceremony planned as you would expect for such a major project. As challenging as the works are there has always been access to both Hotels located here on the South Terrace and the nearest Car Park still remains within 4 minutes walk!! The Door team at both Hotels have of course been very busy to say the least !

I am very pleased to confirm that we have already commenced work on a sample suite and a bedroom which is of course the first step to a major redevelopment of our product. Having said that we will still retain a welcoming modern classic feel to the building. This work is currently planned with very minimal disruption to guest comfort if at all.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us and thank you for your feedback about our restaurant and bar staff which is really much appreciated.

Thank you again for your feedback and I am looking forward to seeing you soon. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Booked the Suites for treats deal from the website and was very impressed with the service, accomodation and food. The wife and I are quite picky eaters and the restaurant staff were happy to change the menu to out requirements.

With regards to the room, we did not expect to be given the room that we had and was very impressed with the size and the amenities within it. Even the complimentary shoe shine was good, although they did knock on the door at 6:30am (on an Sunday!)

Overall a very enjoyable stay!

2  Thank Ford1980

Dear Reviewer

A very happy New Year from the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel team. I am very grateful for your feedback following your stay.

It is so really lovely to hear that you had a great stay. Very nice of you to comment on our Restaurant team and I am really delighted to see that there was a degree of flexibility in meeting with your specific dietary needs. It sounds like you may have benefited from a room upgrade so delighted to see that you enjoyed that. Not sure why we would have knocked at 6.30am on a Sunday, perhaps it was the ghost referred to in a review on the 19th January !! Honestly we do apologise should we have knocked that early, we will of course keep an eye on this. Great to hear about your show shine.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

Having been to London for so many time. It was the best stay I ever have. It is a very good hotel with high standard of facilities in fantastic location - minutes walk to three main tubes. Many sights and lots of pubs within walking distance. The rooms are quiet even the hotel is located in busy Leicester Square. Rooms we have were lovely with all amenities you can think of and it's clean and well care for. The service was outstanding friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the stay in this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the National Gallary side are quieter as the Leicester side is undergoing renovation at...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Dear Kwai Hung

A very happy Chinese New Year from the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel team. We do hope that you had the opportunity to enjoy the recent celebrations in your home city of Hong Kong.

It is so really lovely to hear that overall you had a great stay at the Hotel. Rooms on the Trafalgar Square side are indeed in quite high demand at this time, although there is light within view now with a wow opening ceremony planned for April this year, just around the corner!

I am delighted to hear that you found the service on offer at the Hotel very welcoming and helpful, the team here will be very pleased to hear of your feedback.

Kung Hei Fat Choi !

Reviewed 22 January 2012

This was the second time we have stayed at this hotel. The staff were just as good as the first time and the location is second to none for a trip to London. We stayed in a King Suite, room 711, which was a nice room but I do think it needs a makeover, but I think the whole hotel is being renovated in 2012. Would love to come back and stay after that. I think people criticising the cost are being a bit harsh. It is a nice hotel in an amazing location in one of the worlds most famous cities. One thing I will comment on which is nothing to do with the hotel.....we stayed 12 months ago in a suite overlooking the square, which was in the middle of a renovation. This time we also looked over the square and I saw no visible progress......in 12 months! Incredible. Love this hotel and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank CJwellsy

Dear CJ

I have read with much interest your review regarding the works on the Square which are scheduled to finish during first week of April and a very exciting opening ceremony planned as you would expect for such a major project. The works themselves have been going on for quite some time to be fair and you would not be the first to highlight this. There are however some very definite signs that the opening ceremony target dates are to go ahead. It is a little like opening a Hotel, some of it visually all comes together much nearer to the opening date with that one final push!

I am very pleased to confirm that we have already commenced work on a sample suite (similar to Suite 711) and a bedroom which is of course the first step to a major redevelopment of our product. Having said that we will still retain a welcoming modern classic feel to the building. This work is currently planned with very minimal disruption to guest comfort if at all.

I am delighted to hear that both your stays have been consistently good and that you found the team here to be very helpful, this is most welcome and reassuring.

Reviewed 21 January 2012

Large room with incredibly comfy bed, absolutely no noise on the sixth floor and lovely views of the Eye and Big Ben.
Shower door leaked terribly causing a flood on the polished floor tiles and there was no iPod dock as stated, just a phono wall plate connection to use the tv speakers.
Staff and service was first class but our stay was let down by the £23 bill for two cocktails in the bar. Even for London prices that's ridiculous for two glasses of ice!
Would happily stay again but would stay clear of buying anything in the hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear Ben

It is so really lovely to hear that overall you had a great stay. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed a comfortable night sleep which is always reassuring. We do provide IPOD stations in Junior Suite categories and above, I imagine this is the category which you reserved with us. Please do accept my apologies regarding the shower door, we are doing an in-depth check today and will have that matter resolved, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

With regards to our cocktail prices, this has been mentioned in other reviews. I feel it maybe relevant at this point to highlight that the cocktail menu does list a selection of cocktails from £6.25 to £11.00 per cocktail, these prices are of course subject to service charge which would be normal. We do use quite a few premium brands such as Grey Goose, Belvedere, Tanqueray, Moet & Chandon, various Cognac's amongst others as key ingredients. The prices are reasonable when considering the location and category of the Hotel. I am nevertheless grateful for your opinion.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

Stayed a few years ago, my partner and i both saw a ghost, it was a man in a black cloak(mid length) and hat,very short in height, he ran in front of us and into the lift, as the doors closed, i pressed them to open and to our shock there was nobody in the lift!!! This was thrilling and shocking to us as we both saw the same thing (we were sober) lol - just wondered if you could let us know if you or anyone else has ever reported seeing anything at this hotel.... did some research and it used to be The Royal dental hospital and the building dates back to 1858.... plenty of history as you'd agree!!! let us know, we would love to return to the hotel and maybe do a ghost hunt in the lift area... fascinating!!!! Great hotel

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sallyanne13
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear Sally Anne

This is truly fascinating. I have been asking a few colleagues who have spent a "number" of years working here at the Hotel but none the wiser I am afraid to say. Please do call me at your earliest convenience as I would appreciate hearing more....

A very happy New Year from the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel team in the meantime.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 18 January 2012

My husband and I booked this hotel through last minute 'top secret' hotels for a one night stay. It was excellently located, right on Leicester Square (which is unfortunately undergoing major building work at the minute- absolutely not the hotel's fault but be aware if you're looking for a view).

The staff were all friendly and pleasant. No criticism.

We booked a double on the deal above. However when we got there it was really small, specifically the bed. We realised, being used to a king sized bed at home, that we would not be able to sleep in such a small double. We cant blame the hotel for this but its a good learning point for us. We ended up paying quite a lot for an upgrade but the new room was significantly better. The staff handled the room change promptly and professionally.

The hotel was clean and in good order throughout but pretty dated in my view. I have stayed in much more stylish 4 stars so am somewhat surprised that it has 5 stars.

2  Thank gjtr
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

Dear Reviewer

I have read with interest your feedback and appreciate the constructive manner in which you have written your account. It is a shame that you appear to have booked the wrong room type although I am pleased that we had some king bedded rooms still available that you could upgrade to. King Beds do of course that extra space which we all appreciate. The Hampshire has been an established 5 Star Hotel for many many years now, we are about to carry out work on a sample suite and bedroom which is of course the first step to a major redevelopment of our product. Having said that we will still retain a welcoming modern classic feel to the building. This work is currently planned with minimal disruption to guest comfort.

I am very grateful for your kind feedback regarding both the staff at the Hotel and the experience which you had whilst staying at the Hotel.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.