“An Evening In London”

Ranked #150 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Romsey
“An Evening In London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we were going to see Il Divo at the Royal Albert Hall. We have stayed here before which is the reason we came back this time. This time I was with my elderly and immobile grandmother. Once again the rooms were excellent the service most attentive, the rooms were quiet and I had an excellent nights sleep. Breakfast was delicious. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone wasn't wanting to visit central London!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Mandy B
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear Mandy

Warm wishes from the Radisson BLU Edwardian, Hampshire team.

I am really delighted to read your feedback and it is so nice to hear you and your Mum had a relaxing and enjoyable time with us. Thanks for your kind comments about our bedrooms and breakfast. We are launching what will be called Super Breakfast and also Grab and Run very soon so we hope it will allow for an even better overall breakfast experience.

We hope to see you returning to our wonderful city again soon, please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.

Our Warmest wishes from the Hampshire Hotel and Have a great week.

Michael Cheung

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Despite the building going on in Leicester Square in was a super 2 night break, close to the Haymarket, our choice,and of course the heart of theatreland. Next to the National Gallery and great places to eat at a reasonable price. Easy walking distance to many attractions and the tube nearby. Staff very helpful, room small but clean and comfortable with nice robes and extra blankets. Bathroom a bit tired but good shower head. Noisy early morning with deliveries but a 'Secret Room' so as expected. Ate elsewhere so cannot comment on food but had a fantastic Mojito cocktail in the bar. Thankyou

Room Tip: Maybe higher and away from the back entrance would be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Pip

Warm wishes from the Radisson BLU Edwardian, Hampshire team and thank you kindly for your feedback.

I am really pleased to have just read your review and delighted you have had an enjoyable stay with us. Cesar, Rueben and Ron the mixologists at the Bar do conjure up a really mean Mojito, love them myself ! If you regularly book on secret rooms my top tip would be always request to know the upgrade fee at check in, some really great deals when availability allows !

We hope to see you returning to London soon, please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.

Warm Regards from a rainy London and have a great week.

Wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have just come back from a three day stay at the Hampshire, and it was excellent. We paid for a standard double, but were given a king at the front of the hotel with a great view of Leicester Square and all the building work that is going on. I would like to let anyone not considering the hotel due to noise, you could not hear a thing from the bedroom. One morning, I looked out to see a man drilling the pavement, but it was like a silent movie as no noise at all could be heard from the square.

On leaving, the taxi picked us up from outside the hotel itself - just ask the concierge. It was a great hotel, and a great location and would definitely reccommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a King at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahW33
Dear Sarah

Warm wishes from the Radisson BLU Edwardian, Hampshire team. Your feedback is really appreciated.

I am really pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Since the 21st April the building work has started to wind down as most of the paving is now already open and taxi's can once again enter on Panton Street into the Square, the gardens are also fully landscaped and looking lush in the recent rainy patch which we have experienced although the gardens themselves will only open around 24th May. Between now and the 23rd May is very much about what is called snagging, i.e. correcting any minor matters before the official launch currently planned for the 23rd May.

We are really looking forward to opening our second al fresco terrace now that the space is available to us again ! Hope to see you returning to London soon, please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.

Warm Regards from a rainy London and have a great week.

Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

As people have said, great location. The bar is very nice and the staff very attenive. Rooms are a bit of a mixed bag though, smaller quieter rooms seem to be at the back, have nice views but are pretty pokey. Problem is Leicester Square is a building site at the moment so cab access is very bad and you will need to walk about 400m from the tube or cab. Important to know if you have big cases or a wife in high heels. If you have big bags the concierge will definitely help, didn't work with the high heels though!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Pete

Warm wishes from the Radisson BLU Edwardian Hampshire team and thank you kindly for your feedback.

By way of reply I would like to highlight that the Hotel has always enjoyed cab access even through the refurbishment of the Square which has been ongoing now for approximately two years and coming to an end quite soon. It is understandable that the Square's refurbishment has changed entry/exit to the Square frequently during this time, the Hotel has three appointed reputable car companies and we do regularly communicate with those three suppliers updates on entry/exit changes and the respective date ranges associated with any change. On a more positive note on the Square's well documented refurbishment the paving areas are due completion on or around 19th April with the Gardens following on or around 19th May. This is great news as it means the area will be almost fully open again to the general public and normal traffic management policies will be upheld. Only yesterday the East Terrace was completely landscaped so thankfully what was a building site is currently in the final countdown of transforming itself back to London's much beloved Leicester Square. The Hotel enjoys an excellent location to take full advantage of the pending Diamond Jubilee celebrations and a great base for the pending sporting activities later in the summer.

We are very grateful for your feedback on our bedrooms and I am sorry that you found the bedroom small. The good news is that our bedrooms range is size from an average of 21 square metres up to an average of approximately 75 square metres so guests looking for that extra space will always have an option here at the Hampshire. As with most city centre locations the higher the floor within the building quite often affords a much better view of the surroundings.

Thanks once again for your review. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans for your next trip to London , my direct line is 020 7451 0220 and it would be really great to hear from you.

Our Warmest wishes from the Hampshire and Leicester Square Hotels and Have a fabulous day.

Jarnac, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Our four night stay in the hotel was very relaxing – polite, competent staff – very welcoming. We had been warned that Leicester Square was in the middle of a facelift - and while it made access to the hotel a little tricky, once inside the hotel was a real oasis. Great cocktails in the bar made all the better as we watched the crowds navigated the renovations - and while there was a lot of work going on, the room was well insulated from any noise and enjoyed a great view across the square. A more intimate hotel, the staff made it a really great experience - and the rooms and hotel were spotlessly clean too.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear MJ

I am really delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay and particularly encouraged to read your nice feedback about the our Bar service and also about our housekeeping service both of which are much appreciated.

You may have read with some of my replies that the works at Leicester Square on the paving will finish on or around the 19th April and with the gardens finished on or around the 19th May. The gardens are currently been landscaped as I write this reply. From the Seventh floor it is the most refreshing of sights, finally nature is moving back in to claim it's well deserved spot on one of London's most historic Squares.

Thank you again for your feedback. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.

Our Warmest wishes from the Hampshire and Leicester Square Hotels and Have a fabulous week.

Island of Malta, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We are regular visitors to London and we chose this hotel for this visit as we wanted to avoid the use of public transport where possible. The hotel is right on Leicester Square (the square is currently being upgraded and works will be completed by mid April 2012. However once in the hotel there is no noise from the building works). We had a large lovely room overlooking the Square. The room had ample daylight. Bathroom was adequate in size. The wi-fi worked well although the signal was at times low. At night time, when using our lap top, we found that a desk lamp could have come in useful as the main room lights were not directly over the desk.
Shops, restaurants, bars, China Town and most theatres are all within easy walking distance of the hotel. Leicester Square underground tube station is also a two to three minute walk away.
We tried both the Continental Buffet Breakfast (consisting of juices, yoghurts, fruits, cold meats, cheeses, bread and pastries) and the English Breakfast (served hotel from the kitchen) and both were of a good quality. Restaurant staff were pleasant and friendly.
At check-in and throughout our stay we found the reception and concierge staff to be extremely polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Were were in room 517. This overlooks Leicester Square and having a rooms with this view is a defini...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear JJ

I am really thrilled to have just read your in-depth review of the Hotel and of course I am most grateful for your suggestion about the desk area and a lamp. This is something we will of course follow up on and thank you again, point really well made. The view from room 517 is lovely, East Terrace of the Square has today seen the completion of the much awaited grass landscaping today, a sight which we are all very excited to see!

The location of the Hotel is of course a major plus to agree with you, The Hampshire really is at the heart of Theatre land and of course Westminster itself, no less than 4/5 tube stations within 5/6 minutes walk.

It is really encouraging to see that you found the team to be helpful and efficient. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.

Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I certainly can't fault the hotel's location plus our room was clean and well appointed, and the beds were very comfortable, however, we were disappointed with the actual size of the room.

As 2 adults and a teenager, we wanted enough space so that we didn’t feel like we were on top of each other and, since the hotel had advised me via email that their King Junior Suites could accommodate up to 4 people, we expected this to be suitable for the 3 of us. Unfortunately this was not the case, the sofa and chairs had been squashed together to add an extra roll-away bed and it would have been necessary to remove them completely in order to accommodate a 4th bed. Call me picky but I think that if a room is described as suitable for a specific number of people then it should be able to accommodate that number without having to move furniture out of the room.

Less of an issue, although still disappointing was the view. The hotel's website implies that its 22 suites and junior suites all offer panoramic views of the capital so we were surprised to be on the second floor. Although we did have a view over Leicester Square, it really could not be described as a panoramic view of London.

I know space is at a premium in London so perhaps our expectations were just too high, however, I think that we were given a misleading impression of the Junior Suites from the hotel's website and the email communication I had prior to booking.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer

I was somewhat concerned to have read through your notes above following your recent stay here at the Hotel. We do have 23 Suites in total at the Hampshire of which 10 of these offer a queen size sofabed, ideal for 2 young children. We do have an abundance of extra beds as well which are available for a small fee and with prior request. Your point is well made about the removal of furniture, it is more often the case that the sofabed is suitable for 2 children sharing, although if required we do remove some items as you suggested. Typically Junior Suites offer a minimum of 44 square metres and quite a few offer 50 square metres of floor space. Deluxe Suites and above offer an average of 65 square metres or larger.

Our views are of course subject to availability and unfortunately on a lower floor will not offer the same view as a suite on a higher floor due to our central location. We do have two shop fronts and suites and bedrooms on higher floors at the Hotel offer some lovely views towards Big Ben and beyond if facing Trafalgar Square, meanwhile on the Leicester Square side of the building the views from the higher floors are of the Square beneath and beyond extending towards Centre point, BT Tower and The City all of which are within sight from various aspects of the building. May I apologise that on this occasion your Junior Suite was located on a lower floor. We do hope to have the opportunity to offer you an altogether better view on what we hope will be your next stay with us.

On a more positive note thank you very much for your lovely feedback concerning the cleanliness of the Suite and the location of the Hotel, this is most welcome. It would be lovely to welcome you a second time. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.