“Good location”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #123 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed here on 13th to 15th Feb. The reception staff were very friendly and efficient. I booked a junior suite and the word junior was very apt. The suite was not really a suite at all. It was a kingsize bedroom with a sofa in it!! The bathroom was lovely and well equipped. I would not bother with the junior suite in future if I stayed here again. I would just stick to a standard room as it would not have made much difference other than the price as I paid £598.00 for 2 nights which was over priced for an over rated room. Cannot beat the location though. We did not eat or drink at the hotel so cannot comment on the service there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the square
1  Thank den_zle
Alice C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire hotel.

I am delighted to learn you found our staff friendly and efficient. Ensuring our guests have a memorable and relaxing stay is of great importance and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

I am sorry to learn that our Junior Suite did not live up to your expectations. If you return to stay with us again I would advise our One Bedroom Suite, this boasts a King Sized bedroom with walk-in wardrobe, spacious bathroom and a separate lounge area. These suites are also offer fantastic views overlooking the square. Those on the first floor are almost within touching distance of the red carpet and are fantastic if you are looking for that extra touch of luxury.

It is great to read our location cannot be beaten and we hope this will entice you to stay with us again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me for assistance or advise when making your reservation and we will ensure everything is to your complete satisfaction.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Was travelling on business and needed to be in the Leicester Square area. Location is fabulous, right in the heart of the square and 2 minute walk to the underground. Room was tastefully decorated with every amenity. View wasn't good as I faced a wall but I guess you get what you pay for. Service and staff excellent. Loads of places to eat nearby, spoilt for choice. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank MrsSW

Dear Mrs SW

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire hotel for your recent business trip.

It is great to read that our location was so convenient for you. With so many bars and restaurants right on our doorstep we are great for anyone wishing to enjoy London after a day’s work.

I am so pleased you found our service to be of such high quality. It is always a pleasure assisting our guests and ensuring you have an enjoyable stay. Learning that our staff were excellent is exactly the service we aim to achieve and we thank you for such positive feedback.

We hope you will be back to stay with us again soon and please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance with your booking.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

This hotel is absolutely outstanding and perfectly located. Check in was extremely easy and the Manager who checked us, was absolutely fantastic, and upgraded our room from a Juniour Suite to a Suite. We had a fantastic view of a film premiere, right outside our window. A dream come true! We will definitely be staying at this hotel again :)

1  Thank Angela F

Dear Angela,

This is such a brilliant review I want to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

I am delighted you found your stay so enjoyable. It is our highest priority to ensure that our guests feel welcomed and comfortable whilst in our hospitality, to hear that your stay was outstanding is extremely rewarding for the whole team.

With Leicester Square right on our doorsteps we are very privileged to offer rooms with prime front row seats to the red carpet. I am so pleased we were able to surprise you with this view!
We hope you will be returning to us again soon…perhaps for another premier!

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The most important thing to note about this hotel is the location. It is right on Leicester Square. Seriously, you walk out the front door and bam, you are in the square.

So location is massively great. You are a 5 min walk to Trafalgar square, 2 min walk to Piccadilly Circus, walking distance to St James Park, Buckingham Palace and if so inclined, to Big Ben etc. About a 10 - 15 min walk to Regent and Oxfords Sts so location is great. Just note that often drivers have difficulty finding the place (taxis etc) as it fronts onto the square.

The Tube is a 2 min walk away as well. I would recommend however if you do take the Heathrow Express to Paddington, to take a taxi from there to the hotel. Just that carrying bags on the Tube with many only having stairs and hard to find lifts can be hazardous, especially during peak periods.

We had a King Bedroom as we were staying for 7 nights. The room was large for European standards and very comfortable. Although starting to look a little tired, it was still in good condition and clean. The bed was very comfortable and having a 2 seater couch in the room was great. There was plenty of storage space and the bathroom was big for European standards, although I prefer a standard shower rather than a shower / bath combination. In this case the step out of the bath is quite high so can be a big dangerous when wet.

However, the let down was the shower. We found this in a hotel we stayed in London after this one...basically whilst you could get hot water from the tap in the sink, the shower was at best lukewarm, just above cold. This is a pain especially in Winter and I found myself craving a hot shower! Not sure why this was but it was a bit annoying.

Over Xmas there were a few quiet days in London which was fine by us as travelling from Australia can be tiring. What was good to see was that the in house channel selection on the TV was very, very good. The TV was a little small however especially when watching from the bed, but that is a minor thing.

The mini bar is one of those move anything and you get charged for it. Really, I just wish hotels would do away with these. Just provide a small fridge, empty. Most people these days go to a local 7/11 or something like that and stock up. It would be nice now and then to be able to put a half drunk drink in the fridge. The alternative was to call up for a bucket of ice each night, which seemed to bother room service a bit. Other suggestion would be to put an ice machine on each floor maybe?

Room amenities were great (good to see more and more European hotels putting hotel room safes in finally!). The overall feel of the hotel is old style, but it works.

The gym is very good as well. We only ate breakfast once in the hotel, but it would have been the world's most expensive breakfast ever! It was a good standard - part buffet and you could order a hot meal from various choices, but it cost us nearly $100 AUD!!! For breakfast, that is ridiculous! If it was the best breakfast we had ever had, maybe it would be ok...but whilst it was good, it was not worth that much!

Suggest if you do eat breakfast there, just go the buffet / continental. There is enough to get an ok breakfast doing this and it comes down to your normal rip-off prices for a hotel breakfast.

Otherwise there are plenty of places nearby to get something to eat. I often find the Tube stations can be the best place to grab something to eat for breakfast before heading out.

We were also lucky enough to have a room with a view of the square. Whilst you do get a bit of noise now and then, it was nice to look down on the square.

The staff in the hotel were in the main great and helpful, although on some occasions I found myself waiting for someone to appear at the front desk and when they did, realised that they were having a chat amongst themselves in the office. No biggie, but service industry guys, customers come first.

The concierge service was brilliant. When you needed a taxi, the Concierge would go out and hail one from the street and jump in to direct the cabbie to where they needed to go! Top notch service and well done. They were also very helpful in suggesting the best way to get anywhere and interested in ensuring it was the best value for you as well.

I also like the fact that in the bathroom the soaps and shampoos are not in individual packets. The amount of wastage that must arise from hotels with individual packets is ridiculous and having pump action bottles is very fine with me. I know that some people may find it a bit of a personal issue, but I prefer it over the wastage that occurs.

This hotel overall is brilliant for location, but it is a busy area. Plenty of places to eat and for a 1st timer to London you can pretty much walk to the main sites without having to use the tube if you don't want to so would recommend it to them.

The stay in London after this was at the Hotel Indigo in Paddington. Whilst smaller rooms, the hotel was more modern and felt more comfortable even though they were smaller rooms (maybe due to not being so tired?). In some ways as well it is better located as long as you were happy to jump on the tube. It is a better location for exploring greater London and beyond as well, but the Radisson definitely would be a hotel I would be happy to stay at again and would highly recommend it for 1st timers to London who are there for less than a week to be able to easily see the main sights.

Just to note that just past Trafalgar Square there is a Wholefoods supermarket. Smaller than the US counterparts, this is the place to go if you want to pick up things for your room or something to eat on the go (they have a small sitting area upstairs). One thing lacking in the area are decent sized supermarkets. There is also a small Tesco's nearby but the Wholefoods is far better than that. They also have a decent liquor store in it as well.

Room Tip: Go for the King Room. Worth it for the extra comforts and size.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter S

Dear Peter,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and thorough review of your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire hotel.

I think there is very little that we can add about our surrounding area and I am sure other travellers will find your review extremely helpful.

I am thrilled you found our concierge service to be excellent. With so much to do and see in the surrounding area we know how important it is to have a service that enables you to make the most of your time in such a fantastic location.
I am so pleased you would like to stay with us again and thank you for recommending us so highly.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

In the heart of Leicester Square we chose this hotel because of its proximity to the theatres and restaurants. Often location leads to compromise on space or quality but the Radisson did not disappoint. The staff were all attentive, welcoming and courteous. Check-in was prompt and efficient and even a billing error was dealt with with the minimum of fuss. The ambiance of the hotel is wonderful, lighting is subdued and general decor is elegant yet understated making it feel warm and, dare i say, homely. The king size room wasn't the largest but then again it had everything well laid out, with excellent facilities, was quiet and had a wonderfully comfortable bed. The hotel is not cheap, but for a perfect location and all round experience i'd certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Alice C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. It is lovely to read how much you enjoyed your visit and fantastic to hear you would certainly choose to stay with us again.

I am pleased our location was everything you were looking for. Being in such a prime location means everything is in close proximity so perfect for anyone looking to do little traveling whilst making the most of their time exploring London.

Thank you for your charming comments about our team. We take care in ensuring our guests are welcome and comfortable whilst in our hospitality and it is great to hear how attentive and courteous you found our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance with your booking.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We visited this hotel 12 months ago and were dissappointed by the 'deluxe' room. Things didn't work, it smelt fusty and was 'tired'. Because of the super location, we tried it again and booked a Junior Suite. Much to our surprise on check in we were upgraded to a King's Suite which was superb. The view over Leicester Square is brilliant. 2 huge TVs in the room. Free wifi. Lovely bathroom. 6 foot bed. Sitting area. The service in the hotel is very good, but the breakfast! £23 pp! We went round to Fortnum and Mason's restaurant and had a lovely breakfast for exactly half that cost.

Room Tip: The view over the square is good
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul S

Dear Paul,

Thank you for choosing to stay again at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire hotel. It is fantastic to learn that this visit surpassed your previous experience and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am delighted you enjoyed your suite. We think these rooms are great if you are looking for something spacious and luxurious. Being located in the very heart of Leicester Square we are pleased to be able to offer fantastic views from all of our suites overlooking the square.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly to ensure we have all of your preferences in place.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Hotel, staff, food are outstanding. Brilliant location. Freshly cooked to order breakfast was the best we've ever had and we've had the good fortune of previously staying in other 5 star hotels. Everyone just wants to basically do the best they can and are so friendly and professional. If you want something special, feel like you matter and with hotel staff that care this is the hotel for you. Cleanliness of the hotel is exceptional, standards are high here in all areas. We were celebrating our sons graduation, Alice the guest relations manager, I had the pleasure of dealing with her prior to our visit to arrange a cake but it was last minute on my side, that posed no problem to Alice. All I can say is she sets the bar high, not only did she organise an exceptional cake from the chef here, she arranged a beautiful afternoon tea for us celebrate in the restaurant, alongside the beautiful cake with chocolate writing congratulating our son - he was impressed as were we. Alice is an absolute diamond - thank you. Rex on reception could also not do enough, pleasant, professional and really friendly, a real true gentleman - thank you Rex. I have singled Alice and Rex out because they had several dealings with us but I most also add that not one member of staff were anything but professional and polite, so thank you to all. 10 out of 10 for everything in this hotel. We will visit next month as this has now become our preferred hotel - thank you.

Room Tip: King size rooms are fab
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Alice C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Mrs S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a charming review following your stay with us.

It was so lovely meeting you and your husband and I am delighted to have been of assistance during your visit.

The team and I thoroughly enjoy a special occasion, for any requests please do not hesitate to contact me, it is always a pleasure to assist in making such events memorable.

I have passed your comments to Rex and the team and they thank you for your complimentary feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me before your arrival so I can ensure we have all of your preferences in place.

All my best