“Service was excellent”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #120 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 July 2014

So many great people working together in one hotel! The service was excellent and just the way I like it. Nice welcome, friendly staff and very good to recognize us in the receiption, restaurant and bar.
The room we got was all right, but nothing more. The service was excellent and the room was completely clean at all times. The A/C worked brilliant. Quite small, but it had everything we needed.
Unfortunately we had a manor problem and that was that deliveries to the hotel (or nearby establishments) starting 6am with cars backing in with their beeping and they had long conversations with their customers. Completely impossible to sleep during a couple of hours. Not what we needed after a late night enjoing London's entertainment.
Get a room away from the morning deliveries and you will love this hotel. Not luxury, but not far away.

Room Tip: Get away from the backside of the hotel where you have deliveries from 6 am in the morning.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank denEldre
Alice C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire hotel.

I am delighted to hear how fantastic you found our staff. We are all extremely proud of the service we offer and it is a pleasure to be able to ensure our guests are comfortable and enjoy their time with us. It is lovely to learn that this was the case during your visit and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again and please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your return to ensure we have all of your preferences in place.

I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The room was stifling. I also requested a twin superior room - which the website stated was available at the time i booked - I arrived bang on my official check-in time but I had a standard double. I even stated I would pay extra for an upgrade but they had no rooms available at all.. The staff and downstairs was nice but the room is dated. You pay for the location... through the nose...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels
1  Thank AbuDhabiBurns
Alice C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am very concerned to hear how disappointed you were with your stay, this is certainly not the type of experience we aim to provide and completely incongruous with our usual high standards.

I understand a reservation had been made for one of our Superior rooms with a request for twin beds. Unfortunately due to the limited number of twin rooms we have at the hotel and as the reservation type was not guaranteed, on this occasion we were unable to accommodate the request. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Whilst we always do our best to accommodate our guests requests and preferences should our availability not permit we will always do our best to ensure our guests are as comfortable as possible during their stay. I am therefore very sorry to hear that this was not the case.

I sincerely hope you will give us another chance to prove our services and facilities to you and choose to return to stay with us on a future occasion. Please do contact me directly for assistance with your booking and it will be my pleasure to make all arrangements for you to ensure an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We always find it really difficult to find a hotel that gives us a feeling of luxury but where it is acceptable to have the children. We have previously stayed in the Grosvenor and whilst the hotel was well located we were disappointed with the staff and the room. We can honestly say this hotel had everything, a fab location, it's really close to lots of things but a stones throw from Covent Garden, China Town, Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square to name a few. The family room, with a view of the square, was the biggest room we have had with a massive bed and sofa bed and a huge TV and bathroom. It's quiet even through the area is busy. The staff are fabulous, so helpful and wonderful with the children. We had dinner in Scoff & Banter and the staff were also fabulous in there , it's a lovely restaurant and bar and acceptable for kids to be in . They also have loads of seats outside, we did a lot of people watching whilst enjoying a Gin & Tonic in the sunshine. There are that many restaurants in the area you can have a different cuisine every night, which is exactly what we did! We were so impressed we will be going back next year and staying in this hotel.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the square just makes the experience even better.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vicky B

Dear Vicky,

Thank you for recommending the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire hotel so highly and for sharing such positive feedback with us and fellow travellers.

I am so pleased you chose us for your family visit to London. We think the area is a fantastic choice for both children and adults alike as there is such a diverse range of sights to see and places to visit. With the draw of such an eclectic and popular area we take enormous pleasure in welcoming families to the hotel and I am so pleased you found our staff so helpful. We fully appreciate the need and preference for families traveling with children to be accommodated in the same room and we are so pleased you found your family room so spacious and comfortable and enjoyed the view overlooking Leicester Square.

I am delighted to read how much you liked our Scoff & Banter Restaurant and that amongst the abundance of eatery options surrounding the hotel you found the staff fantastic and our alfresco dining entertaining!

It is fantastic to hear you are already planning your return and we look forward to providing another enjoyable and comfortable stay.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Fabulous 5 star tag, attentive staff, fab food in particular breakfast. Freshly cooked pancakes yummy. Centrally located for theatreland. We walked to the Lyric theatre to see Thriller. Cocktails priced the same as the high street but thought smaller measures. Would love to go back. Highly recommended

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JOJOANDBRO

Dear Jo,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire hotel for your theatre weekend away. Being located in the very heart of the West End we are a popular choice for theatre goers as so many of the top shows are just a short walk away. It is great to hear you were able to take advantage of this and we hope you had a fantastic time watching Thriller.

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed our food and especially breakfast. With an abundance of restaurants and bars in the area we understand the range and diversity of food available and we pride ourselves on being able to offer fresh, traditional British cuisine.

We hope you have another show lined up to come and visit us again soon!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights was disappointed when my sister and I arrived as we booked a twin room with booking .com , but unfortunately when we arrived they only had a double room , we were told that it is a request only booking through booking. Com so its best booking direct. We settled for a double room which was small but nice and clean.staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: We stayed at the back lovely and quite
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hazelborough

Dear Hazel,

Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear we were unable to accommodate your request for a twin room during your visit. Whilst we do all possible to accommodate all of our guests requests and preferences unfortunately availability permitting these cannot always be guaranteed. Should it be the case that we are unable to honour a specific preference we will do all possible to ensure our guests have a comfortable stay and I am very pleased that you found your double room nice.

It is great to hear how helpful our staff were during your visit and we hope you enjoyed your time in London.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again and please do contact me directly for any assistance with your booking.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

The staff and management at this hotel have exceeded expectations yet again. My partner messed up our booking and they did everything possible to sort it out.
Not only did they sort a decent room out but even altered their restaurant menu to accommodate my partner's gluten allergy.
I never expected this type of service even though we have stayed before.
We will definitely stay again.
But I will do the booking. ..

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Alice C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Alastair,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased we were able to rectify the mishap with your reservation to ensure your stay with us would be a comfortable and enjoyable one.

It is very encouraging to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and I hope this is the first of many future opportunities to surprise and delight you.

I hope you enjoy the remainder of your stay and time in London. We very much look forward to welcoming you back for your future stays and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance with your bookings.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My choice of hotel was influenced by a gift voucher for the Radisson chain so I selected where I wanted to go and booked the Hampshire in Leicester Square. My room was a junior suite in a five star hotel (I knew it was a five star because the man on the phone in reservations told me it was more than once when I made the booking) but the room was tired and definitely in need of some updating. There was a fold out bed settee in the room which I couldn’t help thinking made the room more of a family room than a junior suite – it may well be all in the name and it could be the norm but made me question whether what I booked was actually what I got. The room was certainly larger than a standard double by a considerable amount. Re the room – nothing major but loads of small things that disappointed me. The shower controls in my bathroom weren’t fixed securely to the wall in the over bath shower and the centre cap from the mixer valve was missing. The folding glass shower screen collected the water nicely along the bath top edge so that when you’d finished showering and opened the screen, the water shot all over the floor – you couldn’t turn the screen into the bath because there was a hand rail / grip that meant you had to open it outwards. The door on the seperate shower cubical opened back just enough to allow me to walk into the heated towel rail, the marble sink top was cracked right across the top surface and down across the front face. There was an extractor fan that made the strangest noise when it tried to work. Final thing for the bathroom was a wall mounted volume control for a speaker in the ceiling – the volume control wasn’t connected to the speaker electrically or mechanically to the wall mounting, I knew things weren’t right when I turned the knob to increase the volume at the speaker and it fell off in my hand. The place definitely needs a handy man to give it a once over and not what I’d expect for a place that says it’s a 5 star. The hotel location is wonderful, looking out over the square and we got the view from our 6th floor room. It was a shame that the windows were fixed shut so that you could not open them for fresh air and had to rely on the air conditioning that didn’t have anything other than arctic settings. The room could be cold with a low fan speed or really cold with a higher fan speed. The room stat didn’t make any difference to the temperature. The hotel did offer me a fan heater but we ended up just turning the air con off and letting the room temp come up naturally. The staff were excellent and very attentive to our needs. The food in the Scoff and Banter restaurant was very good and I thought it to be very reasonably priced. When we came down to breakfast one morning, the restaurant was full and we had to wait for half an hour for a table (this was my first ever wait for a breakfast table anywhere!) but the head waitress was very apologetic and when we did finally get our table she made sure everything was right for us such that the wait became just one of those things that you accept with good grace. I was particularly impressed with the way she dealt with a grumpy old scouser who seemed to think he was the only one waiting and that by making the most noise he would get seated before others waiting before him. She didn’t bow to his moaning and he waited his turn to the delight of many. To sum up, a nice weekend away in an o.k. hotel close to all the things that London has to offer, but if this was 5 star hotel my old Ford is a Ferrari.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback following your recent stay with us. I appreciate the time you have taken and would like to thank you for making us aware of your experience.

It appears there were several elements of your stay which did not live up to your expectations, nor to the high standards we pride ourselves on here at the Hampshire hotel. First and foremost I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused. Please be assured that each point raised has been discussed and addressed with the hotels management team to ensure that these inconsistencies are investigated and rectified.

Upon looking into your reservation I would like to confirm you were accommodated in one of our Junior Suites, as you had booked. These suites are however also equipped to be able to accommodate families as the space of the room allows up to four people to sleep comfortably.

I am very pleased to hear how impressed you were by our staff and particularly Karolina from our breakfast team. We always strive to deliver the best possible service to ensure our guests are well looked after and I am pleased you felt this was the case during your stay.

I hope your enjoyment of the area will encourage your return so that we may have the opportunity to rectify the shortfalls of this stay and offer the 5* experience one comes to expect from the Hampshire hotel.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel for any assistance and I hope to hear from you.