“Hotel Hampshire, Leicester Square”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #142 of 1,068 Hotels in London
“Hotel Hampshire, Leicester Square”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The start of my two-night stay filled me with foreboding. I was offered one of two rooms, one of which did not overlook the Square, which was not what I had booked. And then my bag was at first confused with another and did not arrive in my room as planned. The room itself (101) was very large, well appointed and well-dressed. The views over Leicester Square are magnificent. The bed was very comfortable, especially for a person such as myself who suffers from a bad back. There was a desk and a settee. The air conditioning was very effective. The TV was on the minibar, but was small in relation to the room and was on the opposite side of room to the bed, which made it very difficult to see from there. A word about the TV - it contains a wealth of treasures: BBC iplayer, a web browser (clumsy without a mouse, but useful if you want to check your email) and many others. It also contains the room service menu, which is not immediately apparent. On one of my two nights I ordered room service. The leek and potato soup (watery) with Wensleydale croutons (excellent) was okay, the Club sandwich was workmanlike, but the chips that accompanied were a little soggy on the outside. The dressed salad that was fantastic, and much more plentiful than that served in Scoff and Banter outside. On the other night I ate in Scoff and Banter with a friend. I had booked a table outside, which was crowded, but was told the booking was inside. This was soon rectified. The waiter then proceeded to take our order, but committed it to his (unreliable) memory, rather than writing it down. This practise should stop. A number of times items had to be reconfirmed, and two items were completely missed and the waiter had to be reminded. I have never had a happy experience in restaurants where the waiter has had to remember the order. The meal itself was very competent and enjoyable, but the chef should consider incorporating a few sauces in the menu. Breakfast in the hotel was acceptable, but attention should be paid to the eggs. The scrambled egg on my first day was tasteless and dry, so on the second day I ordered an omelette, which was the opposite od soft and fluffy. Back to the room itself. If you don't like the sounds of the city, don't have a room facing the Square. The room is well sound-proofed, but you can't muffle all the hullaballoo. For me it was excellent, part of the London experience, but for others it may be less so. A word of warning about the minibar. Apparently, if you move or take out any of the items, they are automatically charged to your room, although how this happens when they are loose inside is a mystery to me. Being an accountant, I did a thorough stock take before I read the warning of the door, but a quick call to reception (and disbelief that I could consume that much alcohol within minutes of taking up occupancy of the room) sorted out my error. Two other points: Why have two bottles of Gordons and yet only one small can of tonic? Also included in the minibar is a "Lovers' Intimacy Kit," which contains, among other things, just the one condom and two chocolates. A tip: if you want to save £22.50, bring your own chocolates. There is also a "Sleep Well Kit" in the fridge, which contains a camomile tea bag. As there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, this item seems to be redundant. However, if you are looking for extras, there was free bottled water, an iron with board, trouser press, a hair drier, scales (which badly need to be calibrated), bath robes, and a safe. The latter is bolted to the floor of the wardrobe. It is therefore necessary to either be a person of diminished stature, or bring one with you, to comfortable securely store your valuables. The lighting in the room is (literally) not brilliant. It is acceptable at the desk, but if you wished to read a book at night, you could not do so on the sofa. The cleanliness of the room is acceptable, but there are two exceptions. 1. There is a very nice black coffee table with scroll ends that act as supports. The insides of these scroll ends had not seen a duster for some time. 2. In a couple of places in the bathroom, for example on the side of the bath, there are hard water marks. I would recommend lemon juice. In summary, I would heartily recommend this hotel. For all the criticisms I have made, they are minor in relation to the whole, and are meant as points to help the hotel improve. If you're a bit flush with money and want a good quality city break, stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

Alice C, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share such detailed feedback following your recent stay with us. I appreciate the time you have taken and would like to thank you for making us aware of your experience. Overall, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

You feedback is imperative to the longevity of our brand, as our mission is to deliver 100% guest satisfaction and only with feedback can we strive to reach our targets.

Some of your points are very well made and I have shared your review with my senior team today at length. There are definite improvements to be made.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

My best

Simon Wong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have stayed in this hotel many times now, and as usual it was a great experience. The rooms has what I would call an old, classic and luxury style, but without feeling old. They are clean and have all the required features including a new flat screen tv and your own (free) Wifi hotspot. But what really make the hotel the first choise for me is the staff and the service. From you enter the hotel until you leave it again you feel welcome and the staff is always ready to help with whatever needs you might have. They have found what I believe is the perfect balance between being a small and personal hotel or big and anonymous. I dont like it when it becomes too personal, something that can happens on smaller hotels, but here it is perfect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel on your recent stay in London.

Your review serves as a great motivator to the team and would help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in London.

It is even more pleasing when you have acknowledged our service efforts as we have been working very hard as a team to ensure we personalise every stay to every guest.

I would like to thank you for this wonderful feedback and your continuous custom.

Hope to welcome you back to the Hampshire Hotel in the very near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This hotel enjoys a great location. Can walk to Picadilly Circus, Trafalgar Sq., Covent Garden. Great for Theaterland. Quality property. Staff very helpful. I would stay there again. Alistair.Aberdeen. Scotland.

Room Tip: We chose a room to the rear of the hotel. It was very quiet. A room overlooking Leicester Sq may hav...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review on Tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure to read that we continue to execute service delivery with a bar of excellence and create an experience for our guests whilst in our hospitality. I have shared your review with my team and we are extremely delighted.

At Radisson BLU Edwardian Hotels, our motto is to make people feel special with a genuine "Yes I Can" attitude. I'm extremely proud that we have ticked all the boxes.

The comments we receive from our customers are the main reason why we come to work on a day to day basis. You have just made our day just that much brighter.

Once again, thank you for staying and we hope to see you very soon.Please feel free to contact me at any stage as I would be delighted to assist you with your future reservation plans should you be returning to town.

Best Wishes.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The location is amazing and the staff have always been friendly and helpful. After my first stay here for business nearly two years ago I do everything I can to return when I find myself back in London. The location is in the heart of London. You will find yourself literally min away from some the main attractions in London. Everything about this hotel is highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brobb565
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us and for recommending us so highly to other travellers.

It is excellent to learn how helpful you found our staff and that these efforts resulted in an even more enjoyable stay! The team takes great pride in looking after our guests whilst in our hospitality and it is wonderful that each member of our team had an impact on your visit.

I certainly hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Please do contact me directly if I can be of assistance with your future bookings.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The location is directly on Leicester Square, it can't be beat! The room was small, which is to be expected from an older property - as such it was fairly noisy - we could easily hear the gentleman across the hall through our door and his! We booked the room using points so our expectations were low but had we paid the listed rate for the room, we would have been disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Alice C, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Nat,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am very pleased to hear how much you liked our location, being in the heart of the West End certainly has its benefits and with so much to do and see we never tire of our iconic location.

That said I am very concerned to hear you were disappointed with your room. Regardless of how our guests make or pay for their bookings we always aim to deliver 100% guest satisfaction and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Due to the nature of our building we do have varying room sizes across our room categories, therefore I am sure should you choose to return to us we can advise in finding a room suitable for your needs. Please do contact me directly at the hotel and I will be more than happy to assist.

I hope to hear from you.

White Rock, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2014

It was our first time in London and I wanted a central hotel to walk to most everywhere. I don't think I could have found a better place. Upon entering the lobby , we were greeted with very friendly staff who said they had a special room for me but wouldn't be available for a couple of hours. I believe it was 10:30 am , so I didn't expect the room to be ready at all . My daughter and I left our bags with the concierge and started off on exploring . We walked about 15 minutes through the charming streets lined with restaurants and shops to find Oxford Street ( the major shopping thoroughfare) . After some successful shopping and amazing sight seeing ( picadilly, historic buildings, etc) we made our way back to the hotel. We were handed our keys at the front counter by the same staff members , and made our way up to the room . Our luggage was set up in the room, and the room could not have been any better. Clean, modern bathroom in a unique charming building with two comfortable beds and all the expected comforts. We only had two nights and three days in London , but we covered a lot of ground from being right on Leicester Sq . And the concierge was very helpful in booking theatre tix , pointing us in the right direction, and arranging rides when needed. All around great experience and when I return I will definitely book there again.

Room Tip: I suggest you ask for a room overlooking the square if you wish to gaze at the hustle and bustle. Bu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to hear that you chose our Hampshire hotel for your first visit to London. We are indeed in the centre of it all and I am so pleased you felt you could not have found a better location. It certainly sounds as if you made the most of your time in London, exploring the area and everything it has to offer. We think we are the perfect base for anyone unfamiliar with the area as so many great sights are within walking distance.

I am so pleased to hear how much you liked your room. Our teams take a lot of care in ensuring our guests will be comfortable during their stay and it is very encouraging to learn how clean and comfortable you found your room.

I hope you will choose to return to us and that you have saved some sightseeing for another visit!

We look forward to the prospect of welcoming you back.

Asker, Norway
Reviewed 30 July 2014

So many great people working together in one hotel! The service was excellent and just the way I like it. Nice welcome, friendly staff and very good to recognize us in the receiption, restaurant and bar.
The room we got was all right, but nothing more. The service was excellent and the room was completely clean at all times. The A/C worked brilliant. Quite small, but it had everything we needed.
Unfortunately we had a manor problem and that was that deliveries to the hotel (or nearby establishments) starting 6am with cars backing in with their beeping and they had long conversations with their customers. Completely impossible to sleep during a couple of hours. Not what we needed after a late night enjoing London's entertainment.
Get a room away from the morning deliveries and you will love this hotel. Not luxury, but not far away.

Room Tip: Get away from the backside of the hotel where you have deliveries from 6 am in the morning.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank denEldre
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire hotel.

I am delighted to hear how fantastic you found our staff. We are all extremely proud of the service we offer and it is a pleasure to be able to ensure our guests are comfortable and enjoy their time with us. It is lovely to learn that this was the case during your visit and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I hope you will choose to stay with us again and please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your return to ensure we have all of your preferences in place.

I hope to hear from you.