“Great hotel, great location”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel
Ranked #102 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great location”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

As a frequent visitor to London and the West End in particular, this hotel is in a great location for access to both night life and shopping. Great not to worry about taxis or trains after a night out at the theatre. The hotel is just as described on the official website, clean and well maintained with friendly and helpful staff. Our top floor room was quiet with a comfortable bed. The only thing missing was a hair dryer. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel which, like most hotels in London, seemed overpriced when there's so much choice on the doorstep.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Julian R,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us on Trip advisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very well located to Theatres, bars, clubs and shops so you can walk mostly any where. The hotel is very nicely decorated and maintained to the high standards that we follow. I'm sorry you were unable to find the hair dryer in the room. All of our rooms in the hotel provide a hair dryer however these are placed inside the wardrobes attached to the wall, which could make it tricky to locate.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Guest Relations
Email: taylorc@radisson.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Recently stayed here on a trip to London. Its a quiet boutique hotel The location is excellent. The staff very friendly and helpful. Room was clean but small; had a very nice roomy bathroom. Only complaint is I felt it was a bit overpriced for what you get. Although I would be tempted to stay here again just because of the location.

2 Thank jhh53
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Assistant Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Jhh53,

Thank you for taking the time to write on Tripadvisor and expressing your thoughts with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the location that we are situated in. The location is very ideal for those on Leisure and business as we have a wide scope of exciting places to adventure too, which are just a short walk away. Our staff take great pleasure in ensuring that everyone is made to feel at home once arrived. We are all happy to help anyone that comes along. We offer a web of different types of rooms all of which are at different rates, starting from double standards ranging to our beautiful suites which look over the hidden village of Covent Garden and London including the London Eye. Hopefully you had some time to relax and enjoy having a look around our hotel at the facilities that we have on offer. We have something for everyone.

We hope to be able to welcome you to our hotel again in the future.

Northfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed in this hotel while on a theatre break and found this hotel to be in the perfect location.

We have stayed in many Radisson hotels before and this is another we were expecting to be up to the usual standard.
On arrival we were eventually greeted by staff and the male receptionist asked for our surname without a smile or hello and welcome.
The complimentary pineapple flavoured iced water in reception was a nice touch, especially on a hot day.
When we entered the room we found that the cushions were scattered over the bed.
I used the shower and laid on the bed to cool down, next thing I know there is a knock at the door and the door opened straight away. The maid entered the room and fortunately my wife managed to stop her entering too far as I was only wearing a towel. She had come to finish preparing the room and that's when we noticed there were no pillow cases on the pillows in the bed. Why hadn't we been informed the room wasn't ready when we first arrived? We had arrived after 15:00 as this was the check-in time so it should have been ready.

After a short stroll to the theatre for the evening and returning a few hours later we decided to watch a movie before sleeping. The selection available wasn't fantastic and nothing new was available to watch with all films available to rent had already been on Sky movies which I have at home. Also the price of the film was 3.99GBP, my subscription to Netfix is only 6.00GBP per month for all the same films.
Also whilst laying in the bed I found a pen inside the cover, it made me start to wonder if the sheets were clean and fresh and not just been remade from whoever was in the room the night before. This made for a very restless night for me and I did not sleep very well. what also didn't help me sleep was the amount of light let in through the curtains in the room. These were in the form of a roller blind, the gaps down the side let so much light in, as it is the middle of summer daylight started pouring into the room from 4am.
Thankfully the pub over the road closed at 23:00 and things quietened down outside so we could have the windows open.
One other moan I need to make is about the extra charge of 1.00GBP which goes to a charity on the bill if we were to checkout via the tv in the room. I don't mind giving to charity and I know this is only a small amount but I don't like the fact that I wasn't given a choice in the matter. We therefore decided to checkout at reception and this charity charge wasn't even mention or put onto the bill.

Overall an uncomfortable stay, the location is the best thing about this hotel. Quite disappointing from a hotel chain we use quite often and are normally very happy with.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Assistant Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Mike C,

Thank you for taking the time to express your experience with us. You are correct, our location is perfectly located within the ‘hidden village’ of Coven Garden, which makes it easy for our guests to enjoy the short walks to theatres, shops, China town and many other places. However your comment disheartens me as the standards that you have received are truly not the level of standards we follow at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street. At the Radisson Blu Mercer street we enjoy welcoming our guests as if they are arriving home in a professional manner from a full day at work or even just running around London shopping, or enjoying the theatres. I hope you accept my sincere apologies and be rest assure that I will take great deal into investigating how you were placed in a room not to our standards of release. I however would like to inform you that all our beds are completely dry cleaned before reusing them. It is our housekeeping policy to ring the door bell or knock on the door before entering whether or not the room has been released to a guest. As to my understanding of your experience I can only suggest that the housekeeping thought that the room wouldn’t have been release just yet as it hadn’t been completed to our level of standards. However even if we believe no one should be in the room yet, we should still be required to leave enough time for a response from whomever may be in the room.

Regarding the £1 that you saw on your tv while using our in room express checkout to donate to the charity that we support which is called ‘The World Childhood Foundation’ We take great pride trying to help not only our local charity ‘The Dragon Hall Trust’ but other charities that may need a helping hand. I will definitely look into seeing if the £1 can be optional from the room’s express checkout instead of having to come to the front desk as this may benefit many. When checking out at the reception desk, you should always be given the option to donate the £1 to the world childhood foundation. If this was not offered to you as an option it is definitely something I will have to look into as we take our fundraising seriously as well as allowing the guest to choose whether they would like to donate.

As I have stated prior that the hotel is located in a prime destination of the hidden village of Covent Garden but also being a residential area it does give off a calm and collected vibe at night. If you wouldn’t mind contacting me directly and I would like to discuss these issues further. I really do wish that you would come stay with us again and let us show you just how much we value our guests with our ‘yes I can’ service approach. I will be happy to over see your stay personally and to make sure everything exceeds our standards and runs smoothly.

Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed one night when we attended a production of The Royal Ballet in April. The room was fine and very quiet. However, when entering the hotel, one is overpowered with a scent of candles or incense. Would bother someone who is sensitive to smells. My clothes and hair smelled of it when we left to go out for cocktails. I never mind fragrance but this was too much. Also, I booked through a travel agent and she got me a reduced rate but once arriving, I felt the rate was a little high since no extras were included. Next morning, we inquired in the restaurant about breakfast and were told the only option was the buffet at a whopping cost of 32 pounds each. We told her we were guests in the hotel and she said, "That's the cost."
Had this been included in the room rate, would have made all the difference in the perceived value. Will look elsewhere on our next trip in December.

Room Tip: We requested a top floor room to avoid the street noise of Covent Garden and that made it nice. if o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Julee27,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts with us. It helps us to know where and how we could possibly improve our services. As a principle of the Radisson Blu Edwardian we inspire in always having a willing ‘Yes I can’ attitude and approach in providing a service for our guests. I would like to express my apologies of your disappointment with breakfast. We offer two options for breakfast. The Continental breakfast which is the buffet style at £14 and English breakfast which is £23. I believe we must have accidentally communicated an incorrect rate for our breakfast when you inquired. I apologise that your stay wasn’t as great as expected, However I hope you do return to stay with us again in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will take great pleasure in making sure that everything exceeds your expectations.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived for our honeymoon to stay two nights before moving onto Belgium.

Staff was courteous and even moved us to a larger room for our stay.

The room was spacious but since we only had two nights, we went out to walk around. Everything was close by. When we came back, they surprised us some cookies and spread rose petals all over the bed. It was very nice and not something they had to do.

Turnover service left the place very clean throughout the day.

We booked on points and weren't treated poorly as non paying customers either (which is what it has felt like in some other places in Europe). That was very nice.

I would definitely stay here again. From the bed, to the blanket, tv, to the bathroom. Everything was fantastic.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Angelajeremy123
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Assistant Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Angela & Jeremy,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us on Trip advisor. You're comment is like music to my ears. We are all thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pleasure in making sure everyone enjoys their stay, therefore if we have the opportunity to upgrade our guests we truly try our best. It is also nice to hear that you enjoyed our special touch with the rose petals and cookies. The area in which the hotel is based is perfectly located with mostly everything only a few minutes stroll away, for example theatres, shops and of plenty of restaurant to choose from, not to forget our very own British style Scoff & Banter. I will definitely let housekeeping know of your good words about their turndown service.

Once again I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street and we look forward to offering you a warm welcome back in the near future.

Kind Regards,

email: taylorc@radisson.com
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Best located corporate hotel, with Radisson Blu chain, in Central London. Staff always friendly, has excellent gym and rooms, whilst small, are exceptionally well designed. Lobby area and reception houses fine / modern art, always a pleasure to check in.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Colin B,

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our Hotel is very uniquely decorated which makes it very appealing. We also like to surprise our guests and always leave them wondering what piece of interesting art work or scalture you'll approach next.

We hope to see you again soon and will be looking forward to welcoming you upon your arrival.

Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Note that I benefited from an upgrade and I ended up on the top floor which is the "business class" floor. The room was what you expect from this type of hotel: clean and beautiful. The view was great since the hotel is taller than the other buildings nearby. The only "down" was the shower: it was very basic. But all in all great hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Bitien,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor.
I was very pleased to read that you liked your room and its beautiful view.
It was lovely to know that you had a great stay with us and that you enjoyed our fantastic location.
We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Warm regards,