“True Gem !”

Ranked #113 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Chatteris, United Kingdom
“True Gem !”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

What a true Gem ! in the heart of theater land. More like five star , rather than the 4 it is been graded. No this hotel does not have a pool. But ! that is all it is missing.

The interior is superb, and extremely clean, I have been in many five stars that needed a reminder about being clean, and service, This place is spotless. There is a wonderful old fashioned bed turn down service in the evening, which makes your stay feel so personal and
homey .

Every ! member of staff we met , were past professional, my gratitude to check in, which was so easy, also my gratitude goes to Danni , who made sure our stay once again was a personal one and , came and gave us room service when we asked and ran and did other things when asked, nothing was to much trouble.
My thanks to Nadia, who kept the room impeccable, and did the turn down service , she too was so kind and personal.
My thanks too to all the dining room staff and to the chef who came out to discuss what I could eat , as I have nut allergies.
The food was superb, freshly made all off it , some might complain about the prices, But we have been to many a place and to us it was about right. there was plenty of food and so yummy including your breakfast !!! thank goodness, no laid out yuk buffet of bacon and eggs ect, this is all freshly done, to order, the scrabbled eggs, were so buttery.
when booking the hotel, I looked at all the comparison sights , then looked at the hotel, it was having a sale on rooms, I booked a loft suit , but was upgraded to a luxury suit, which meant so much to us as my poor daughter has been though so much stress and upset recently. So my gratitude , to reservations . We will never ever forget you ! and the kindness you gave us.
the other thing we liked so much was the ability to make coffee in the room, so nice just to kick off the shoes and have real coffee.
If I were to make any form of a gripe which is not really worth a mention, it would be to have a little file on the bed on arrival, so electric dummies like me knew how to use certain things in the room and did not have to ring down stairs to disturb staff all the time. I felt bad about doing that, ie air conditioning, coffee maker , ect. however it is only the most minor of gripes as staff were so accommodating and did not mind in the least helping out.
To all staff once again, thank you for every thing and for making us feel at home ,like royalty, during our stay.

Room Tip: look out for the special offer deals and if you are planning to travel soon, pay in advance. No you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Julianne W
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Julianna W,

Your comment is so lovely. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. I am going to print it out and place it on our staff boards for everyone to see. We do try our best to make everyone feel special and that they are at their home away from home. If there is ever anything that we would be able to help with we are more than happy to try.

I am make sure that everyone you have mentioned in your comment will be over the moon that they were able to make your stay that much better. Our breakfast is made completely fresh and to order as you said so everything comes just how you like it.

I am so glad that you and your daughter loved the upgrade to one of our suites. We really do enjoy surprising our guests. Please do not worry about calling us when ever you need anything we are all very happy to help whenever.

I hope to see you again on your next trip to the hotel. Please contact me directly for your next trip. I would really like to welcome you back.

Best Regards,
taylorc@radisson.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Very well located in London, in a dynamic area close to big avenues, extremely well decorated hotel with fantastic staff (they really try to make your stay as good as it can be). We had two rooms for two nights and we surely will come back if we have the chance.Rooms of good size (for London)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

Dear 783franckm,

Thank you for taking the time to drop us a comment. We try our best to make everyone’s stay as comfortable as possible. It's great to see that we were able to achieve this with your particular stay.

Please do contact me for your next stay and I am more than happy to look into your reservation to ensure everything runs smoothly.

Nantes, France
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

What a great restaurant! The food is just divine! We took the platter for two and had the chance to try British food specialities: gorgeous! It's very tasty, very subtle! First time I appreciated a fish and chips! And it was actually not that expensive. The staff was really nice (they could smile a little bit more and that would be perfect :))

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Petitg0urmet,

Wonderful. I’m so pleased to see that you enjoyed your food in the Scoff & Banter Restaurant. I will for sure inform the restaurant and chiefs of your lovely comment. They will be delighted to know that you enjoyed your time with us in the restaurant.

We hope you are able to come dine with us again soon and even try some of our summer cocktails.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Came back again to the Mercer because of its location, ambience and value (though this time using points only!). Second leg of our London trip this time, first part of the week in Kensington. Coming to the "west end" - which seems illogical but that's what they call it - was like coming to another city, London does feel like such a collection of villages. Seven Dials is like a Parisian arrondissement in look and feel.
We got a high floor room with upgrade on arrival, early arrival indeed. Thanks for that to the reception staff again.
Air con worked well, which is not always the case at these chain hotels. The free fast wifi is still a boon compared to many who charge for it, thanks for that too.
Apart from one or two small niggles (ill fitting toilet seat in room 612 and patchy Internet TV reception, not enough to mention or complain about for us), all was the usual Mercer St standard. Including the Radisson fragrance you can smell everywhere (at least you know by your nose you are home when you come to the hotel from a night out). There is still a hip feel with added luxury to the Mercer today.
Shame that we couldn't extend the checkout beyond 12 midday (asked for 1pm), could have freshened up prior to travelling back home today, but understand that the hotel was fully booked again so checked out early instead and left the luggage for storage at the hotel whilst we went out for breakfast and a couple of galleries etc.
Will be back week after next with work again for a couple of nights, along with 5 colleagues whom I'm (the male part of this duo) bringing into London for a meeting, hoping to introduce them to the Mercer's positive energy and experience too. Let's hope it will stand the test!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor Business room of possible. Very quiet and good views over 7 dials and Covent Ga...
1 Thank LeenaSK
Dear LeenaSK,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street during your second part of your trip in London. Covent Garden is known as the "Hidden Village" of London. It is for sure a beautiful part of London to stay in for your trip not only because it is walking distances from most attractions but also because it’s a residential village therefore everything turns into a peaceful night glow. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy one of our upgrades. I must admit that the views from our higher floor rooms are amazing as you are able to see the London Eye and the rest of London City.

I will take your concerns about the toilet seat and the TV reception on board and get it checked by our maintenance team today. Thank you for letting me know.

I am Happy to see that you will be returning to our hotel soon and I will take a look into your up and coming reservation. We look forward to seeing you again.

Warm Regards,
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here on a visit to the theatre. Arrived at 13.15 and informed that the room was not ready but we could leave the luggage. Explained that we were due at the theatre for 14.30 and reception found us a room which was greatly appreciated as this gave us time for a quick freshen up. Very helpful staff also informed us of the way to the theatre. We went out on the evening and when we came back housekeeping had been in a tided up the towels etc and closed the blinds. We stayed in a business room and this was a decent size room for a central based hotel. We didn't have breakfast the hotel as this was not included in our room deal and found the price to be expensive but there is plenty of chose within walking distance. Would stay here again on another visit to London.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Manager-Mercer, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer Street Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Jo8e,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time at the Radisson Blu Mercer street. We are in the perfect location to theatres as they are all only a few minutes walk away. I am glad that you were able to get into the room before you had to rush off to enjoy your night out. I am also happy to read that you found our staff very helpful and following our "yes I can" attitude that we strongly work by. I do hope that you are able to come dine with us again and even get the chance to enjoy our breakfast next time. I hope you enjoyed your theatre trip and please do come see us again soon.

Best Wishes,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

And thats just the lovely ladies behind the front desk.
Had 2 night mid week stay as needed a touch of class and also close to the theatre district for a show and nice meal.
We always book direct with hotel own web site as they always do the best deals and no mistakes.
We were booked in nice and early before lunch time into room 602 which is one floor from top.
When walking through the hotel noticed the very nice decoration to hotel and the wonderful smell of lemon grass.
On entering our room you could tell straight away that a great deal of thought and effort had went into room.
From the worlds simplest TV remote to the good use of space, by fixing the hairdryer to the wall of the cupboard and having a full size mirror for the ladies to "fettle" themselves.
I was less happy with the full size mirror behind the bathroom door. Had to fix a towel to that to stop that view.
Powerful shower over bath and plenty of quality cleaning products to hand.
Windows double glazed an excellent AC that chilled the room down nicely and the most wonderful bed with crisp sheet made it very hard for me to leave in the morning.
Breakfast was nearly perfect as in the quality of foods laid out for the continental and the best part of the hot breakfast it was all freshly cooked, no hot plates. Luuverly.
Erlinda in the breakfast area must be mentioned in dispatches as she was always on the go and very attentive to the guest, which is more than can said for some of the younger staff, who seemed more intereted in chatting at the desk than assisting, maybe somebody could have a look at that.
Overall if you fancy a nice, romantic, quiet, classy hotel to stay in this area you would be hard pressed to find better, will be back again.

Room Tip: Always book through hotel own web site as got breakfast, free drink and free movie in price.
Dear ShaunScotland,

Thank you for your wonderful comment about our Hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and was able to have an early check in. The hotel is very well located in terms of theatres, shops, offices and many other attractions.

I will be sure to mention your comment to our staff at the reception and Erlinda in our restaurant. It will certainly make them feel very happy to know that they were part of your trip away in London. The hotel is very carefully planned in terms of decorations and style, which has made a beautiful edge to the hotels features.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip in London. Please contact me if there is anything that I would be able to assist your with.

Sussex
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We didn't stay the night here but did enjoy afternoon tea. We were a group of 17 people and had a private room.
The food was delicious. Tasty sandwiches and wraps. Delicious cakes and lovely scones and cream.
There was also lemon water on the table which was refreshing. We also went to the bar to get some cocktails which were great but quite highly priced, they also charged a service charge even though they would just give a bottle to you and expect you to pour the drink from the bottle yourself. But then this is Central London and you get what you pay for - the hotel is lovely and also central.
What we saw of the hotel it looked very elegant, excellent quality, fresh and had a great atmosphere. I would definitely go back for a cocktail as a treat or maybe even a night away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Joeybellyanna
Dear Joeybellyanna,

I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your afternoon tea at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Mercer street. For such a large number of people it is perfect for having one of the private rooms that we have on offer to relax in and to chat away. Thank you for taking the time to try the scoff & Banter cocktails. There are plenty to choose from so you will have to come again soon to try some others. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Warm Regards,