“Old school elegance - first class service”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We stopped for just a night as an escape from the kids and thorougly enjoyed our stay.
The service was exemplary, the rooms were extreemly comfortable and clean.
We dined in the Blue Door Bistro where the food was excellent.
Afternoon Tea on the terrace on Sunday ensured we didn't need to eat again for some time..
Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dave_Jones101
Write a ReviewReviews (4,327)

Reviewed 15 May 2011

I usually stay at Hotel 41 but this time needed somewhere closer to the City. The Montague was an excellent choice! Friendly and efficient check in and out. Lovely spacious clean and inviting room (Deluxe King on 3rd floor) at a great internet rate. With a nice view down into the gardens. Little bar inside the hotel had a friendly atmosphere with good food. Would definitely stay there again and also recommend..

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Danlux13
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We took the special 5 days for 4 price and they offered a 10£ breakfast available at check in. Otherwise breakfast was much more. All the staff was helpful and friendly, especially the concierge. Rooms were quiet and comfortable. Our only complaints were very inconvenient plugs for a hair dryer near a mirror and a rain shower that only a man could love. It's close to the British museum and about 5 blocks from Holborn tube with 2 lines.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 11 May 2011

We were warmly greeted as soon as we arrived. The check in process was simple and efficient.

The rooms are clean and the bed was very comfortable. Our room was facing the garden. While the view was not what you may expect when facing a garden, it did mean that the room was one of the quietest rooms we have ever stayed in. It was however a bit on the small side.

We loved the restaurant and it was reasonably priced for both London and for a hotel restaurant.

We stopped at the concierge desk on numerous occasions and each time were helped by Lukasz. He was very helpful and especially friendly and personable.

I would definitely consider this hotel for your next stay in London.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 8 May 2011

What a wonderful gem this hotel is. The location, right across the street from the British Museum, is perfect. And once you step inside, you leave all of the tumult and tumble of the big city behind. The concierges are friendly and so energetically helpful (try to get attached to Lukas and see if you can take him home) and the little touches--complimentary coffee and muffins in a lovely overstuffed lounge in the morning, crispy apples at the desk, and tiny little nooks and crannies in which to have drinks/tea, were all unique touches. Like everything in London, its a bit pricey but we found it to be excellent value. The room size is adequate, this is, after all, London. But we faced the street and never had any trouble with noise. I can't say enough!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jstockler
Reviewed 6 May 2011

My wife and I planned somewhat of a last minute trip. London on a whole can be expensive if your traveling from the U.S. and the hotels are just as expensive. We found this hotel on Tripadvisor and my wife fell in love with this hotel. I was hesitant because of the price but I know you have to spend to get a nice hotel and the hotel stay can definitely make or break a vacation. Montaque was a great stay the service there was amazing. Check in was easy, staff very polite and courteous. We traveled with 2 other friends and they stayed at a hotel across the street due to the Montaque not having double beds in their lower category rooms, and one of our friends did not want to dish out the extra cash so they chose a cheaper hotel and regretted it. Our friends were at our hotel everyday and the staff treated them as if they were paying guest even giving directions, maps and holding their bags on the last day after checking out of their hotel. Great service indeed.
My wife and I had a superior king and it was very spacious as I was concerned about that. The bathroom was clean, and the cleaning staff left little treats on our bed everyday. I wished I was able to eat or just stay at the hotel and explore it more but we were so busy everyday exploring that we didnt have the time. On my wife birthday they left chocolate treats and a balloon which was nice. The bed was very comfortable. I definitely recommend. When I come back to London the only reason I would consider another hotel is if the Montaque burns to the ground.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BlackBoriken
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Montague celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and had an absolutely wonderful stay! It is a beautiful small intimate hotel with a real country manor feel to it. We stayed in a deluxe king room which was perfect, really made me feel like a princess. There is enough storage space so you can completely unpack and feel at home. Also a nice size sitting area and a large bathroom with a stand alone shower, possibly big enough for two! We had full english breakfast buffet everyday which was fabulous according to my husband who is not a fan of buffets. Also had dinner twice in the Blue Bistro which was excellant; good food and service in beautiful surroundings. One of the reasons we chose the Montague over other Red Carnation properties (we previously stayed at the Chesterfield) was the Cigar Lounge. We enjoyed finishing each day there, drinking alittle something special (they have lots to choose from) and my husband smoking a good Cuban (and again they have lots to choose from). And finally the highest praise for everyone that works at the Montague, they really make your vacation special. It's really like staying at the home of a very dear friend .

Room Tip: Deluxe King absolutely fabulous!