“Yet again, faultless”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 July 2011

This was our second visit to the Montague and again our stay was faultless. The hotels' location was ideal as it is so close to many of Londons tourist attractions such as Theatres, Covent Garden and Oxford Street.We booked a Deluxe King room for 3 nights which was beautifully furnished, spotlessly clean and really comfortable.(We dont think that we have ever slept in such a large bed!) Again it was the finishing touches that made our visit so special such as on our first night when chocolates, cakes etc had been left as a birthday gift for my husband and every evening chocolates left on our pillow. The breakfasts were lovely, with plenty of choice and really good quality food. The staff were extremely polite and helpful and couldn't do enough for you. In fact every member of staff we encountered at the Montague were the same and they all went out of their way to make our stay special. We will definately be booking our third visit.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hullabaloo00
Write a ReviewReviews (4,330)

Reviewed 4 July 2011

This is a hidden gem, wonderful boutique hotel full of charm and very special. The staff cannot do enough for you, especially jorge!! Fantastic food and fab surroundings. You must give this hotel a try. Very central for sightseeing and shopping. 5 min cab ride from kings cross. We will continue to return time after time. Well done the montague another lovely visit!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sunshinelincs
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed June 27-30. It is pricey if you eat in the restaurant or order something but any hotel of this quality would be. EVERYONE we dealt with would do anything to help you get what you wanted. If you asked for breakfast at 7:15, it came at 7:15. For that matter everyone we dealt with was helpful in London. The English as a whole were the most polite people I've ever come across ( unlike France where we are now. I think a class in pomposity for men is required ). Location of hotel was great too. We went everywhere on the tube. It took about 15 minutes to master it and being from southern california we have never used subways etc. Go out the hotel doot, turn right; go to the end of the block; cut across the park diagonally on the path and you can see the Russell Square Underground tube station on your right. If you buy an Oyster pass for zones 1 and 2 you can get to the Tower, Trafalgar Squae, Globe, St. Pauls, Buckingham Palace, Eye, Covent Gardens etc.

4  Thank ehsfb2001
Reviewed 29 June 2011

After reading the many rave reviews of the hotel on this site perhaps my expectations were too high but a one night stay here proved to be expensive and ultimately, disappointing.

I phoned 24 hours before arrival to enquire about any available public car parking nearby, the receptionist was unable to answer my query, passed me on to concierge who gave me somewhat garbled but less than satisfactory information. Indeed throughout our stay we found the hotel staff , particularly in the bar and breakfast room, indifferent at best

All prices are quoted (not very clearly) exclusive of VAT, so when ordering afternoon tea in the bar and breakfast in the restaurant, whilst already expensive a further 20% really bumps up the cost.

Also as regards afternoon tea, we were directed to the "Cigar Lounge", a smoking room in all but name. Sorry but this is England in 2011 and I don't expect to take tea and cakes in amongst smelly smokers and their ash trays.

As other reviewers have commented, breakfast was very poor. For the price this should be cooked to order not buffet style, whilst in my view the quality was barely up to the standard of a motorway service area

On the plus side our room was very comfortable, quiet and well equipped, although some of the technology needed mastering. Also why do I need a code to access free WIFI?

Overall expensive and disappointing but as above, perhaps other reviews on this site just meant my expactations were too high?

7  Thank Silkman57
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your valuable feedback following your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I was very saddened reading your comments about your experience, as at The Montague it is our ethos to deliver genuine hospitality each and every day, which our guests have commented on before. I would therefore like to sincerely apologise if on this occasion we did not deliver our usual high standards.

All of our prices quoted in all of our food and beverage outlets do include VAT and are published as such, however we do add 12.5% service charge (excluding breakfast service) which is completely discretionary. I do apologise if this was not very clear to you and I would be more than happy to rectify this situation.

I was most shocked to read your comments about your Afternoon Tea experience and again I would like to apologise for this.

We do have designated areas, being our Conservatories, for our Afternoon Tea service; however in the summer we do like to make use of our outdoor terrace.

During this time the Terrace is strictly non-smoking and I was therefore disappointed that this was not enforced by our staff.

We are currently running a buffet breakfast due to operational and structural difficulties however it is our duty to ensure that with the current set up we still achieve a high standard in our breakfast service which we obviously failed to do on this occasion.

My team and I have taken your comments very seriously and as a result we will be focusing on improving the consistency of our service levels, in order that they remain high at all times.

Yours sincerely

Dirk Crokaert

Reviewed 29 June 2011

We had read great reviews for this hotel prior to going and were not disappointed. Staff were very courteous and helpful. We were given a tour of the hotel on arrival which was a very nice touch and were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite. Great location on a quiet street within walking distance of theatres. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank anganddegs
Reviewed 27 June 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Montague for her birthday and it was a great experience from the personal but well balanced welcome at reception through to our departure just a day later. Over that 24 hours the service was just right and the staff were keen to make sure we had a good time and were genuineuly interested in our plans. And the champagne I'd ordered for my wife was delierved perfectly when we returned from an afternoon at the theatre and with unexpected canapes and a personal birthday wish.
We we fortunate to be upgraded to a suite on two levels having previously booked a deluxe room, which was a pleasant surprise. The suite was comfortable, well decorated and spotlessly clean.
My only critisism is that despite the buffet breakfast being good, at this end of the market I would have expected it cooked to order. A small griipe all things considered.
It was expensive but well worth it for a special occassion.

Room Tip: Ask about a suite!
3  Thank Andy Wilson
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I satayed with my wife at these hotel last week. The place is gorgeous, the staff, specially the colombian guy concierge, are very helpful and eficient. The bad note was the breakfast, expensive and awful. The waiters of the breakfast are kind of arrogant and it seems that they are doing you a favor to serve any. So diferent of the rest of the hotel people...

2  Thank Petre
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel. I do hope that you had a safe journey home.

I was really disappointed to read about your breakfast experience, especially the poor level of service that you received from our breakfast waiters and I would like to sincerely apologise for this.

At The Montague we are very passionate about our standards and the service that we deliver to our guests and I am very sorry that we failed on this occasion.

I have discussed your feedback with the breakfast team, who have taken your comments on board. We will be re-visiting our training on service standards in this particular area to ensure that future guests do not have a similar experience.

However, I was very pleased to hear that you did enjoy great hospitality within other areas of the hotel and I do hope that the breakfast experience did not detract too much from your stay.

Yours sincerely