“Distinguished and excellent!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We recently spent 2 nights at The Montague on The Gardens as part of our honeymoon. I'll preface my comments by saying this hotel is approximately 200 years old so if you choose to stay here, appreciate this fact. From the time we arrived until the time we left the staff could not have been more accommodating. Our room was old style with contemporary touches, wonderful antiques, a view of the private garden and clean. As a honeymoon gift we received a bottle of champagne, English biscuits and gift of English tea. The turn down service included rose petals strewn across the room and bathroom. Breakfast was very good, enough of a selection to accommodate two rather fussy eaters. Drinks in the bar at night was again very good with perhaps the only comment being a slow start to the service. The lift was out of service which can happen but management saw fit to hand write a note to each guest apologizing for the inconvenience. We also received hand written welcome notes from the F&B and Front Office Manager. All in all an excellent stay at an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Dear Guest

I was very pleased that you chose The Montague as your preferred hotel for your honeymoon celebrations and I am delighted to hear that we helped to make it an occasion to remember.

I would like to wish you well in your future life together and hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2011

This was a very special trip for us, to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We spent 10 days at this wonderful hotel, and loved every minute of it. From the moment we walked in to the day we left, the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. As a previous reviewer said, the staff was genuinely interested in us and not just contritely polite. I wish I could name them all, but I am terrible at names, please pass on our thanks to your entire staff. The location is excellent, a nice quiet street, close to tube stops, and surrounded by beautiful parks. We felt very safe walking back to the hotel at night. The room was small, but very cozy and comfortable, perfect for a romantic anniversary getaway. The nightly turndown service was nice, and the little "treats" each night were fun. The daily breakfast was very good, we felt very comfortable relaxing and taking our time before starting our busy days sightseeing. The dinner we had to celebrate our anniversary was superb, and when they found out what we were celebrating they brought us a special treat. Our sincerest thanks again for making our stay so lovely and memorable. We look forward to returning.

1  Thank Christina H
Reviewed 28 September 2011

I was looking for a small, charming hotel, which was well-located, for someone who has some mobility issues. The London TA forum made a few suggestions, and I chose the Montague.

As part of the Red Carnation group, I was always warmly welcomed during my 5 day stay in Sept 2011. Well-located, behind the British Museum, my room was handicapped accessible. It was good-sized, with traditional British furnishings. The room was attractive and comfortable, and overlooked the street. Quiet, too.

The basic room service breakfast (coffee, toast and orange juice) was reasonably priced,and tasty. The bar food was equally appealing.
I ate dinner in the restaurant, and had afternoon tea. Good food, reasonably priced for a London hotel.

Due to the road construction, the bus stop directly across the street was closed, but there were other bus stops nearby, as well as the Russell Square tube station. A very convenient location.

Very kind, helpful staff, who always answered my questions.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank catwoman6
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I am delighted to read that we have met your expectations and that you were pleased with the room and the food and beverage you received.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 23 September 2011

Having just come off a long bus tour staying in competent, but largely uninteresting corporate hotels The Montague on the Gardens reminded us just how good a GREAT house can be. Located on a quiet side street ( probably even quieter since the street was closed off for construction) in the Bloomsbury neighborhood the Montague presents an understated elegance on the street side. When our taxi arrived the doorman was right there to help us out and before we mounted the steps the head concierge was there to greet us, introduce himself and take us in to register. Registration was pleasant and efficient. Since we arrived in late morning, our room was not yet ready. We were given a tour of the hotel by the concierge staff and provided tea and cookies in the parlor while we waited the few minutes for our room to be ready. The public areas of of this nearly perfect boutique hotel ( if 88 rooms is still 'boutique'?) are beautfully decorated- the lobby, parlor, restaurant, pub and decks/gardens are in a rich style everyone should appreciate. Our standard room and bath were rather compact ( not all that unusual for London) , but were decorated and appointed so well that we pretty much forgot the small nature of the room over the days we stayed. If a larger room is a must for you, then the suites are likely your cup of tea- but the smallish standard room is about the only downside to staying at the Montague. The balance of the experience is terrific. The service is top notch- doorman, bellmen, concierge staff, reception, restaurant, pub, housekeeping and the general manager ( who contacted us immediately following our return for feedback). All recommendations from the concierge for dining were excellent as was his connection to get last minute show tickets. The restaurant and pub service and food / drink were very good. Breakfast was included in the rate and was a very good full English breakfast. We are sorry to have missed the garden deck barbeque's that are offered during the summer or a visit to the cigar deck- maybe next time. The room experience was similar- excellent towels/toiletries, bed and linens, furnishings and decor. Complementary internet at a 4 star hotel- what a concept! Multiple complementary newspapers were available, medium sized flat screen TV with the usual complement of channels, cookies from the GM and a gift each night at turndown. You really feel like someone cares about your experience here. The Montague is 5 minutes from the British Museum and 10-15 minutes from restaurants and theaters. We are sure that all of the Top 10 TA hotels in London are excellent houses- but take a look at the prices on the top 10 and you will find The Montague on the Gardens is not only a great stay, but a best value in the top tier of hotels in London. To the GM and all the staff- WELL DONE!

Room Tip: While we had no issue with a street side room, but a garden facing room would likely be a plus.
2  Thank AnacoTraveler
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us and that you found the service from the staff to be terrific.

I am sorry to read that on this occasion you found the size of your room to be compact. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. When you are next making a reservation with us, please do make us aware of your room size preference and subject to availability we will allocate you a more spacious room.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Montague on the Gardens Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Quiet, small street, next to the British Museum. Even better, have a room facing the garden. Peace and quiet in the middle of London - that has to be something worth paying for!

Apparently the rooms are fairly small (no wonder, it's London), but we stayed at one of the suites, which was of decent size - on two levels though, so, probably not quite suitable for people who might have trouble with going up and down a (fairly small) set of stairs inside the suite. Nice sized flat screen TV in the bedroom (for UK standards huge, for North Americans, decent but far from spectacular). Free Wi-Fi, but annoying with log-in, and then log-in, and then log-in again throughout the day (hint to the Hotel mgmt: ask your service provider to maintain user sessions for at least 12 hours, it's really annoying and it taxes your servers with all these log in, create user session, wait 10 minutes, destroy session, log in again, and all over again - not fun).

Spotless clean, continuous room maintenance/cleanup/maid service throughout the day - it felt that whenever we left the suite for more than 30 minutes, someone's cleaned up something, or changed the towels or left hors d'oeuvres or mineral water or something else... constantly...

Downsides: small hotel; corridors feel "Fawlty Towers"; building is creaky and when people with weak bladders take a nightly trek to their washroom, at least 8 rooms around them have the pleasure of knowing that "it's that time of the night",,,

3  Thank NashR
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.
I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. We do also have suites which are not split level, should this be your preference.

I was most disappointed to read that you had difficulties logging in to the complimentary Wi-Fi and would like to apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused to you. As a much-valued guest your feedback is important to us and I would like to thank you for your suggestion on how we could improve this service. I shall certainly contact our service provider regarding this.
We do try to anticipate our guests’ needs at all times and do provide twice daily maid service as a standard. I do apologise if you felt this to be intrusive.

Once again, I would like to thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Montague on the Gardens Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 20 September 2011

We recently visited this wonderful hotel for a three night break and we were amazed at how special we were made to feel. From the minute we entered the hotel to when we had to leave it, the service provided by all the staff, especially by Everett and Fidelma, who both made the best Irish coffee ever, was exceptional. All the staff had time to chat and we felt as though they were interested in what we had to say - unlike our experiences in other hotels we have stopped at.

Unfortunately the television in our room had terrible reception and we were unable to watch it on the first night when we had retired to bed. However, we mentioned it to reception in the morning and within five minutes a member of staff had attempted to rectify the problem. Although he was unable to sort it out, a new television had been installed by the time we returned to our room in the afternoon.

2  Thank Gillian F
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2011

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations during your stay with us. I was also very pleased to read that you found the service provided by both Everett and Fidelma to be exceptional.

I was disappointed to read that you had problems with the television in your room on the first night; however I am pleased that this was rectified for you by installing a new television and I do hope that this did not cause you too much inconvenience.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

Had a great stay at the Montague to finish out summer break. I was a bit nervous leading up the arrival, just because we're used to staying in big chain North American accommodations so I wasn't sure what it was going to be like - but I had high expectations having read so many positive reviews from this site. Room was lovely and clean and although it wasn't exactly spacious, there was more than enough room. Staff was very friendly and helpful. My only complaint would be to get better TVs but really not a big deal. I loved the night time turn down service and all the little treats were so delicious particularly the chocolate covered nugget, I wish I had some right now! It was always a nice relief to come back to the clean and cozy room after lots of walking and touring in and around London. EXTREMELY close to Russell Square Underground Station - it was so handy and the walk through Russell Square was always lovely. I loved the Tube, wish all cities had such an amazing subway system! The neighbourhood of Bloomsbury is very quiet!!! At night walking back to hotel from the tube at first I was a little scared but soon realized there was nothing to worry about - felt very safe in sleepy Bloomsbury =)! Great Japanese restaurant very close by called Abeno.

Room Tip: The hotel has unique rooms - not the cookie cutter type like in American chain hotels - so each room...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank picky_travellin
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you had a very pleasant experience with us, and that you found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

Thank you for your feedback with regards to the television in your room. Whilst we currently have some rooms with smaller plasma screen televisions I am pleased to advise that we will be reviewing all of these in the coming months.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Montague Hotel in the near future.