“Lovely hotel, great service, quiet, good location”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #12 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Lovely hotel, great service, quiet, good location”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This is a lovely well located hotel with great service. The furnishings in the rooms were very nicely decorated, in English style (lots of flowers, pastels and stripes). Maid service was great rooms very clean and well maintained (although I could not figure out how to get the shower to be hot although water coming our of faucet in tub was quite hot). We had an suite with an upstairs seating area and bathroom which was nice, although the room was slightly cramped once we got the suitcases in. It was very quiet in the room which was great. Good location next to British Museum, close walk to Russell Square tube station. Staff was excellent and we enjoyed the little savories in the room daily. Beware of making local calls the one I made for 30 seconds cost 8 pounds!!!

Room Tip: We had a garden room which was nice and quiet. I am not sure I would ask for a suite again would ra...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
Dear Guest

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay at The Montague overall however I was sorry to hear that you experienced difficulties operating the hot water in your shower. I have asked my Chief Engineer to monitor this and take the necessary remedial action.

Thank you for letting me know with regards to the telephone charges which I will investigate and I will also conduct a price survey of the local area to ensure that we remain competitive.

I am delighted that you found the staff to be excellent and that some of the points that you have raised did not detract too much from your stay.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My husband and I were doing a tour of Europe, 8-29 - 9-11-11.. our first stop was 3 nites at the Montague... it was wonderful, do NOT miss the Cream Tea in the afternoon, it was the best tea I have ever had in my life, and my mom was Irish and tea was the drink in our house. The rooms was small as many say, but after going to London, Paris, Rome and Venice most of the rooms are small in these countries because these are beautiful, old buildings... renovated to a very modern style, with all the amenities but with character.. We upgraded to a king bed and enjoyed ourselves very much, all staff was kind, helpful and fun.. it was my first trip to Europe and loved the Montague, I'd go back in second.. okay a nanosecond. if you get the opportunity, it's a wonderful, classy hotel.

Room Tip: upgrade to a larger bed and your room will be a bigger.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your very kind comments about the hotel and the staff, and the service you received.

Thank you for your amazing comments about our Afternoon Tea service which I am sure our pastry team will very much appreciate.

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We stayed five nights in London at the Montague and had a wonderful time. The room was on the smaller side, but not a surprise for London. We were most impressed by the friendliness and knowledge of the staff, especially when we were sorting out the tube or booking theater or sightseeing trips. The morning breakfast was a welcome start and even though we never saw porridge on the menu, they faithfully brought us some anyway! The location near the Russell Park tube stop and Covent Gardens was a huge bonus as our street by the British Museum was quiet but central to all of our destinations.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that we were able to assist you with organising transportation, theatre and sightseeing arrangements. I was equally glad to hear that we were able to provide you with porridge each morning even though it is not featured on our main breakfast menu.

I hope that we will see you again soon at The Montague.

UK
Reviewed 8 October 2011

What a great place. Warm and inviting with perfect service, small but beautiful rooms, and superb breakfast and food. It will be a regular stop in London.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the rear garden.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments, especially about the service you received and the food served in our restaurant.

I am very pleased to read to that you will be returning to The Montague in future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2011

This is our place to fall in London. Lovely staff, great rooms and delicious breakfasts. Can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the building, and/or not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Another great stay. All staff were excellent in their attitudes and service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for this great feedback about our staff and I will ensure that your lovely comments are passed on to them.

I look forward to welcoming you again in future.

NYC
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I concur wholeheartedly with the positive comments about the lovely staff at this hotel. The room I had was comically small (typical for London, so that's not a set-down) and fabulously plush, with a window overlooking the interior garden. The bathroom was deluxe with excellent water pressure and deliciously hot water. Every convenience had been thought of, including a variety of electrical outlets (european, UK, american), ironing board, in-room coffee and tea, and easy-to-access internet. I look forward to another trip to London so I can stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the ambience of the hotel and that all of the facilities met your expectations.

I am very pleased to hear that we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back when you are next in London.