“Charming”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I've been staying at The Montague a few times per year for the last 10 years. The personal service has always been outstanding. It's a really charming typically English hotel. The rooms are finely furbished with thick curtains and lush carpeting. Excellent food too. Only the rooms tend to be quite small and can be noisy due to creeking floors. Ask for a room on a high floor with garden view. It's not cheap (200 GBP pn), but the locaton is excellent next to Russel Square and you will love it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2011

Dear Guest

I was pleased to read that over the last 10 years you found the Montague to be outstanding and especially the service and the food that we serve.

I do hope that we can welcome you back for many more years to come.

Reviewed 22 November 2011

My partner and I stayed at The
Montague for the first time in November this year, it was a wonderful experience, I have never been treated so kindly , I felt like a princess. The room was perfect, comfortable, clean and catered for all of our needs. The breakfast was really enjoyable best I have ever had. I would recommend this hotel in an instance, also right round the corner from The British Museum another wonderful place to visit.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greta h

Dear Guest

I was most delighted to read your very complementary comments about the hotel and the service that you received.

Thank for your kind offer to recommend us and hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Our first time in this hotel from the group - we have used some of their other hotels and never been disapointed - we weren't this time either.
Staff were great - all of them - from the Doorman to the room maids - everyone was polite, efficient and made us feel really welcome.

Very good rooms with big comfortable beds and great bathrooms - we had an upgraded standard room which was far better and bigger than we expected, a rare event in a London Hotel

Good bar with a covered outside seating area and a really good breakfast

If you want good value, a high level of quality and service and a perfect location then look no further

Room Tip: Upgrade on a standard room will give you MUCH more space - pay the extra as it's well worth it

Dear Guest

May I firstly take this opportunity to thank you for your loyalty to Red Carnation Hotels, and I was glad to hear that The Montague exceeded your expectations.

We are very proud of our staff at Red Carnation Hotels and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Montague on the Gardens Hotel soon.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

My husband and I had yet another wonderful stay at the Montague last week! We stayed here once before and we have been very impressed with the exemplary service of all the staff, in particular Sebastian at the Concierge, who on the occasion of my first stay, had managed to get me a hairdresser's appointment in minutes, although it was very late in the afternoon, and I only had a very small time window when I could do my hair, before a function that evening.The Montague is probably the best hotel in London as far as service is concerned.

Thank you very much to all the staff at the Montague for looking after us so brilliantly! We will be back for sure!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Dear Guest

I was absolutely delighted to read your very complementary feedback about the staff and especially the service that you received from Sebastian. I will ensure that his service is duly recognised.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Friendly staff. Lounges well appointed looking onto the garden.Delicious food. Extensive breakfast with good fresh fruit and probably the best hotel coffee I have had. Double room small but everything was new. Very well decorated with lots of natural light. Shortbread or nougat on the pillow in the evening was really fresh and good. All the staff smile and that is such a pleasure in London. They are helpful, warm and doing exactly what is needed to please to make this place run smoothly. Had my arm twisted to join colleagues for afternoon tea and was more than pleasantly surprised. Well done all round to the team.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the staff to be pleasant and the food delicious.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

Excellent Hotel. Friendly staff. Great rooms & fully equipped to fit our needs. We all enjoyed our stay here & would return back again. Lovely atmosphere & wonderful breakfast. Was very clean & furnished beautifull. Our stay here was very relaxing. You are made to feel like royality staying at this hotel. We didn't have any complaints at all with this hotel. It is situated in a very good place in London which means you can access everything really easy. One member of staff at the hotel which made our stay memorable is Jorge who helped us out all the time & got to know us all. Is the Best Hotel in London :)

Room Tip: Every room is very lovely
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Rebecca G
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to hear that you found the hotel to be excellent and that you really enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your comments about Jorge our Concierge, I will ensure that his service is recognised.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon,

Regards,

Reviewed 14 November 2011

The Montague is a lovely hotel, just around the corner from the British Museum, and well situated for West End shops and theatres.
My double room was small, but beautifully furnished and had a really comfortable bed; the bathroom was well equipped with good toiletries. breakfast and room service food were both excellent.
Where this hotel scores over almost every other I have stayed at in London is in its staff who were amazing! From check-in to departure, nothing was too much trouble for them. Everyone I met went out of their way to ensure that my stay was a delight. A special mention for the concierge who was brilliant!
There was only one problem however - housekeeping. When I returned to my room after a day out, at around 4pm on the Saturday, i found that, while the bed had been made, there was little evidence of anything else having been done. The bins had not been emptied, towels had not been replaced (even though I had left them in the bath as requested) and the coffee / tea tray had not been replenished. Okay, none of this was dramatically awful, but it was very surprising and disappointing. I waited until around 7pm (no-one had arrived to complete the work by then) and decided to report the matter to Reception. The person I spoke to told me that it was likely that the maid would finish her work when she came to do the turndown service!!! Needless to say, that didn't seem a satisfactory explanation.
So that is why only there are only 4 stars on my rating rather than the 5 which the rest of my stay warranted. I wouldn't let it put me off staying again at what is one of the capital's most lovely hotels.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank valdy
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay at the Montague.

Firstly I would like to unreservedly apologise for the poor housekeeping standards that you received whilst staying with us. I am at a loss as to why your room was not serviced adequately. At the Montague we pride ourselves on achieving the highest standards for our guests and I was therefore very disappointed that we failed to deliver on this particular aspect of your stay. I have discussed this incident with both my Head Housekeeper and also my Reception Manager and they will monitor this closely in the future.

Thank you for your very lovely comments about the staff, especially our concierge team, I will be sure to pass this on to them and also recognise them for the service they have given.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Montague.

Regards,