“Going back in a few days and can't wait...”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Going back in a few days and can't wait...”
Reviewed 19 December 2011

My partner, Andrew, and I have been going to the Montague on the Gardens since 2006 for a variety of reasons and will be going back there for three nights over Christmas. Can't wait to get there and will be bringing a few gifts along for the staff as they really deserve them. To say that the Montague is a home away from home does not quite cover it. The staff are simply wonderful and we see them as treasured friends rather than staff. They have been trained superbly well and the hotel manager Dirk (a really nice and very approachable man) has a great team on hand and one that never disappoints.

From the knowledgeable concierge staff led by Mustafa, to reception who make checking in a breeze, then on to the restaurant and the bar, the list of names is long. From Arjeta to Everett (sorry if I have spelt your name wrong!) who take care of the restaurant and bar (and many other things), to Mario in the extremely cozy bar and all the girls and boys who help in the bar, restaurant and rooms, a visit to the Montague always exceeds expectations.

The rooms are very comfortable (will be staying in the Virginia Woolf suite, so rather looking forward to that) and beautifully decorated, room service is first class and a big thank you has to go to the girls who clean the rooms.

Have been quite ill of late, but I am sure a visit to the Montague will restore heart, mind and body. How many hotels can claim to do that?

As I have said, can't wait!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 22 December 2011
Dear Guests

It has been an absolute pleasure reading your very kind feedback on your many times spent at The Montague.

It is very touching to know that you consider many of our staff as friends which I know is reciprocated.

We were all very concerned to hear of your recent illness and we do hope that you are now on the road to recovery.

We are all looking forward to seeing you both over the Christmas period.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Although clean for 235 pounds I would expect to have a bigger room.Had to walk sideways around the bed. Also the bathroom was very tired and needed upgading.

It was my husbands birthday and we would have been better to go to another cheaper hotel with the same standard rooms but bigger, there is one called the Bloomsbury Hotel. I have been to this hotel 3 times and should have stuck to it.

Would not use this hotel again.

6 Thank PinaPineapple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 20 December 2011
Dear Guest

I was deeply disappointed reading your comments about your recent stay.

I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique.

Whilst we try to upgrade guests celebrating a special occasion this might not always be possible due to the availability and therefore I am sorry that we were not able to do so on this occasion.
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Rotherham, England
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We had just 2 nights here and are planning to go back next year. It's nice when an hotel exceeds your expectations!

1 Thank DavidWheater
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that the hotel exceeded your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

On behalf of the Montague team I would like to wish you a very Happy Christmas and a brilliant New Year and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2012.

Reading, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This is a lovely hotel across from the British Museum, on a nice tree lined-street in the Bloomsbury area. Very comfortable bed, lovely, well sized, quiet and impeccably clean room. What truly stood out was the service, however. We were delightfully surprised when we arrived at 7:00 AM after a long flight from the US, expecting to just drop off our luggage, to be greeted with fresh orange juice and the news that yes, of course our room was ready! As others have said, service across the board was truly outstanding--friendly, attentive, professional--yet never hovering. We honestly had the feeling that this hotel wanted us to be happy with our stay. Concierge was knowledgeable and helpful and secured excellent theatre seats for us. We ate breakfast every morning at the hotel in their lovely and cozy dining room. Would definitely stay here again on a return trip and would recommend without reservation.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 15 December 2011
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you found the service to be friendly, attentive and professional.

I was glad to hear that your room was ready after a very long flight.

I would like to thank you for your personal recommendation and I am very happy to hear that you will be returning to stay with us in future.

Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I just returned from a weeked in London, and stayed at the Montague on the Gardens. Fabulous experience, at this Red Carnation owned hotel. I arrived from Washington DC, very early due to fast flight over the Atlantic, and got to the hotel around 9.00 am. I had a Master Suite booked on a weekend min 3 night package. Immediately on arrival, I was offered a complimentary snack. I knew that it would be a long wait before my room was ready, but was very surprised when the front desk offered me a small room to take a nap. When my suite was ready, the bell boy explained everything to me regarding the suite. Every single member of the staff, from Lisandra at the front desk, to Mario at the bar, remembers your name, and is genuinely happy to all guest's. The service is impeccable either at the breakfast or at the afternoon tea, which is better than the Ritz tea. The staff, who are extremely attentive to the guest's every needs, manage to be extremely professional, and happy to be of service. I had a friend over for afternoon tea, who like me has travelled extensively worldwide, and his comment was," I wish that I had known about this place on my london visit's; it's just perfect in every way". If you are going to go to London, this is THE place to stay, since the multi lingual staff,( some speak4 languages), will turn your visit into a home from home, with their awesome service. Also you are about 300 yards from the British Museum, which is another world class establishment.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the garden are a little quieter than the front,( Due to the Brits getting some...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Dear Guest

It was an absolute delight to read your very complimentary feedback about The Montague and moreover the service that you received from every single member of staff throughout your stay. I was glad that we were able to offer you a courtesy room upon your early arrival at the hotel whilst your suite was being prepared.

I will ensure that your great comments are distributed amongst our staff and that they will be duly recognised.

SCOTLAND
Reviewed 13 December 2011

What can i say that hasn't already been said on here before. This Hotel is a true gem, The Staff cannot do enough to help you and i can quite honestly say I have never in my life stayed anywhere in the world where the Staff are so pleasant and cheery. We had a 1st floor room facing the street and whilst it was a bit on the small side the decor and comfort more than made up for the size, a nice touch was the little red Christmas Tree outside our window. Winter Wonderland within the hotel was good fun, again the cheerfulness of the staff just made everything about our stay PERFECT. Breakfasts were superb as was our evening meal on our 2nd night. Hats off to the Management for obviously training their staff so well that every moment of our stay made us feel like we were the only 2 people staying there. i would have no hesitation in returning but definately staying longer next time.

Room Tip: Double size room was a bit small so I would choose a King size room for my next visit
1 Thank NELL87
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments about our staff and the service that you received whilst staying at The Montague.

We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the individuals concerned and that their service is duly recognised.

I was especially delighted to hear that you found our Winter Wonderland experience great fun as this is a new concept that we have introduced this year.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Booked this hotel as part of a theatre package and were very happy. Staff helpful and attentive. Rooms were quiet and clean. Bar is nice and the smoking member of our group appreciated the cigar room. Location is fantastic as the British Museum is right on your doorstep and the tube is a 5 minute walk. Walked down into Soho in 20 minutes. We did have to wait to be seated for breaksfast the next morning as the dining room is quite small, but again the staff were very pleasent and efficient in dealing with this, and we were not in a hurry, so it was not a big deal. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oxfordshire70
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments on your stay at The Montague on the Gardens. I was delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us.

Please accept my apologies for the slight delay at breakfast however I was glad to hear that our staff dealt with this situation in an efficient manner.

Thank you for your personal recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.