“Excellent in every way”

GreenLeadersGold level
Ottawa
“Excellent in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed here for eight nights in July-August 2011. Accommodations were excellent, featuring interesting, richly-textured, high-end furnishings. Service was consistently friendly and no request was too much trouble. After mentioning in passing that I had a special birthday coming up, I returned to my room one evening to find a beautifully decorated plate with biscuits and balloons. The restaurant was an added bonus. I never have high expectations of hotel restaurants, but again, only the word excellent can describe the food and the service. I was pleased to eat there several evenings. I look forward to my next visit and, perhaps a less frantic schedule so that I can try afternoon tea and other features of the hotel that I simply hadn't time for on this first visit. One word of caution to North American visitors. This is a British hotel. The rooms are not the size of football fields and there's no ice maker down the hall, although the staff will provide a bucket of ice on request. If you can accept these limitations, you can look forward to a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The garden side is quieter. Non-smokers take note: there is a Cigar Terrace, so this is not a smoke...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank BR613
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed both the hotel restaurant and the service that you received.

We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

stayed there with my spouse for a romantic weekend. The hotel location is just excellent. The breakfast was superb. We also loved to have our aperitif in the bar.
The room was very small in my memory it feels like a room with just enough space for a (queen-size)bed. Nevertheless the room and bath was clean. We had there a pleasant stay. Not sure if we would come back as the hotel is not very cheap and there are other options available.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank zum_fettigen_joe
Dear Guest

Thank you for you feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us particularly the bar and breakfast offerings and that you found the location to be excellent.

I was sorry that you found the room to be small. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique.

We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back some time in the future.

Maldon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of January for two nights. The staff were absolutely wonderful; nothing was too much trouble and anything we asked for was provided swiftly and with the utmost courtesy. Special mention should go to Luis who was so lovely at looking after our children (they wanted to take him home!), talking to them like grown-ups and providing sweets! We stayed for my birthday and the hotel left me a bottle of champagne on arrival and Luis brought us another two glasses on the day itself. My husband also ordered a dairy free birthday cake which was delicious!

We stayed in the Guv'nors two bedroom suite which was lovely and clean and had the highest standard of finish. We chose this room as our children are still relatively young and we're not quite ready for interconnecting rooms (and a family room would mean no sleep for anyone!) Whilst the room was lovely, with its own little conservatory and Christmas tree (a lovely touch), it was very overfurnished. The main room is dominated by a huge dining table (too big for four occupants) which conceals a snooker table underneath. Despite the dining facilities being able to accommodate about eight people, there was not enough room in the conservatory for the four of us to comfortably sit down together. The kitchen was fantastic and the beds very comfortable but the whole suite is at basement level and therefore the master bedroom has no outside light at all which we found a bit disorientating. All in all a lovely room but could do with making the dining area into a sitting room with some sofas.

Breakfast was adequate and, again, the staff were lovely. I would have preferred hot meals to order rather than a hot buffet as the food would have been fresher. If I'm being very critical, the breakfast wasn't the best: the rolls were so soggy they were inedible on the first morning and the pastries weren't regularly refreshed, leaving very few by the time we came at 9.30am.

I would stay at this hotel again because they made us feel so very welcome but I would go for a room facing on to the gardens instead of the basement suite and wouldn't include breakfast in the price. A lovely, clean, homely and welcoming place to be though. Thank you for making my birthday very special.

Room Tip: The Guv'nor's two bed suite is lovely but overcrowded with furniture and in the basement res...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank UkMrsC
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.
I was delighted to read that you found the staff to be absolutely wonderful particularly the service you received from Luis and that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was disappointed however to read that you found the breakfast to be adequate and that you felt that the buffet was not refilled to your satisfaction.

We do pride ourselves in exceeding our guest expectations at all times and I am sorry to read that we have not done this on this occasion. I have discussed your feedback with my Food and Beverage manager to ensure that this does not reoccur.

I was also disappointed to read that you felt that the dining table in the Guv’nor’s Suite was too large and that the decoration was not to your taste. We do receive so many fantastic comments regarding our Guv’nor’s Suite but we do also have a large variety of rooms and suites available each with its own unique interior design. We will be more than happy to discuss the room styles with you on your next reservation to ensure that the room that is allocated to you is more to your satisfaction.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Most of the nice things they say on this site about the hotel are true. It is a sweet English hotel. If you look hard enough you'll find fault everywere - and reading reviews it seems some people only travel to do so - but it's difficult to find some in this place. We stayed here for three nights and what struck me most was the very, very good customerservice. I think that's their main asset. If you're looking for a happening hotel this is not your place. If on the other hand you want a quite, elegant place with a well trained staff in the centre of London: this is it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank erasmus115
Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our customer service and that you found our property to be elegant with well trained staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2011

Montague of the Gardens is a great place to stay whille traveling in London. I stayed here for one night in late December and had a very plesant experience. It is about 1hr away from London Heathrow airport by Taxi. The hotel can arrange a pick up and drop off taxi service upon request. The bed was extremley comfortable, and after having traveled by plane for many hours, the comfort and relaxation the hotel provided was much needed and appreciated. I origionally booked a twin size room, but was able to upgrade to a double for a small additional fee. The bathroom was very nice, and very clean, which is very important to me. The staff was extremley helpful in providing information about tours. I was able to book a tour thru the hotel, and it was only a block away from the hotel, so close enough to walk. Also the hotel is located close to the tube station, so you can use that mode of transportation as well. I ordered room service and the food was very good. The internet works extremley well, they provide both free wifi and cord. I was able to skype with no interuption in service and a clear picture. There are many many restaurants close to the hotel within walking distance and driving. I would definitely stay here again and look forward to returning to London.

Room Tip: I would choose a double room at the very least, rooms are a bit small in London compared to hotels i...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank briebw
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 29 December 2011
Dear Guest,

I was pleased to read your very complimentary comments about the service that you received and the facilities that we have on offer at the hotel. I was delighted to also read that you will definitely return in the future.

We wish you all of the best for 2012 and we look forward to welcoming you back in the new year.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2011

We stayed at the Montegue just before Christmas and loved it. The rooms are fantastic, decorated in a distinctive style and to a very high standard. Breakfast was delicious and made all the better for the friendly service. Our only regret was that we had such a busy schedule we didn't get to enjoy sitting in the bar and conservatory. Recommend this hotel and we will definately be back.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank ReadL
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your recent stay at the Montague on the Gardens. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodation, service and breakfast in the morning.

We wish you all the best for 2012 and we hope to welcome you back in the new year.

Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

Another return trip to this hotel and not disappointed by level of service.
We have at this hotel a number of times for a London break, its situated next to the British Meseum and approx 10 mins walk to Covent Garden. The Service is consitiently good.

The bedrooms are small (especially by American standards) but well decorated and comfortable, breakfast is normally included in room rate, with a range of options available.

Will stay again on next visit to London.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback and I am delighted to hear that the service has remained consistent since your last visit to the hotel.

May I take this opportunity to wish you all the best for 2012 and we hope to welcome you back in the new year.