“Fantastic Place near the British Museum”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed in this hotel just 1-1/2 blocks from the British Museum from 30 Dec. 2011 to 5 Jan. 2012. It was truly wonderful. The staff was very helpful and the room was very nice, comfortable, windows which open, two desks with plenty of outlets (including a European and a U.S. outlet), perfect wifi. Their full English buffet breakfast was classic and delicious. The restaurant, including formal afternoon tea great. But the real story was how very well the staff treated us, including anticipating many of our needs and meeting (or exceeding) all of them. Sure, the place is expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael F
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Montague Hotel.
I was very pleased to read that you found your stay to have exceeded your expectations.

We do take pride in the service that we provide and it is always lovely to receive such feedback as yours.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,391)

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Best nights sleep for ages! Very well appointed,Extremely convenient for central town, will definitely go back (hopefully!) (valet parking-don't forget to pay the congestion charge!)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

I would just like to say that The Montague On The Gardens was a delightful hotel to spend time celebrating my daughter`s 21st birthday in mid December. It was important to me that she was treated to a little luxury and the hotel staff went out of their way to make her feel special and my hopes and expectations of the Montague were exceeded on every level.
The members of staff we came into direct contact with were all very personable, attentive, efficient, friendly and several were especialy charming which only added to an already superb 2 night stay in one of the sumptious Junior suites.
On a practical level I found my stay to be "good value for money". This was important to me in the current economic climate and the extras experienced in the way of a room upgrade, little treats given to my daughter by the hotel and the quality of the Afternoon Tea/Winter Wonderland experience contributed to this.
I look forward to visiting The Montague more than once during 2012 and my next intended visit will be in March to celebrate my anniversary.

Room Tip: I communicated directly with the hotel via email and then made an on line booking with both methods...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lizzie M
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations, from the room through to Afternoon Tea and our unique Winter Wonderland experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

I stayed here for eight nights in July-August 2011. Accommodations were excellent, featuring interesting, richly-textured, high-end furnishings. Service was consistently friendly and no request was too much trouble. After mentioning in passing that I had a special birthday coming up, I returned to my room one evening to find a beautifully decorated plate with biscuits and balloons. The restaurant was an added bonus. I never have high expectations of hotel restaurants, but again, only the word excellent can describe the food and the service. I was pleased to eat there several evenings. I look forward to my next visit and, perhaps a less frantic schedule so that I can try afternoon tea and other features of the hotel that I simply hadn't time for on this first visit. One word of caution to North American visitors. This is a British hotel. The rooms are not the size of football fields and there's no ice maker down the hall, although the staff will provide a bucket of ice on request. If you can accept these limitations, you can look forward to a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: The garden side is quieter. Non-smokers take note: there is a Cigar Terrace, so this is not a smoke...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BR613

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed both the hotel restaurant and the service that you received.

We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

stayed there with my spouse for a romantic weekend. The hotel location is just excellent. The breakfast was superb. We also loved to have our aperitif in the bar.
The room was very small in my memory it feels like a room with just enough space for a (queen-size)bed. Nevertheless the room and bath was clean. We had there a pleasant stay. Not sure if we would come back as the hotel is not very cheap and there are other options available.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zum_fettigen_joe

Dear Guest

Thank you for you feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us particularly the bar and breakfast offerings and that you found the location to be excellent.

I was sorry that you found the room to be small. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique.

We hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back some time in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed here at the beginning of January for two nights. The staff were absolutely wonderful; nothing was too much trouble and anything we asked for was provided swiftly and with the utmost courtesy. Special mention should go to Luis who was so lovely at looking after our children (they wanted to take him home!), talking to them like grown-ups and providing sweets! We stayed for my birthday and the hotel left me a bottle of champagne on arrival and Luis brought us another two glasses on the day itself. My husband also ordered a dairy free birthday cake which was delicious!

We stayed in the Guv'nors two bedroom suite which was lovely and clean and had the highest standard of finish. We chose this room as our children are still relatively young and we're not quite ready for interconnecting rooms (and a family room would mean no sleep for anyone!) Whilst the room was lovely, with its own little conservatory and Christmas tree (a lovely touch), it was very overfurnished. The main room is dominated by a huge dining table (too big for four occupants) which conceals a snooker table underneath. Despite the dining facilities being able to accommodate about eight people, there was not enough room in the conservatory for the four of us to comfortably sit down together. The kitchen was fantastic and the beds very comfortable but the whole suite is at basement level and therefore the master bedroom has no outside light at all which we found a bit disorientating. All in all a lovely room but could do with making the dining area into a sitting room with some sofas.

Breakfast was adequate and, again, the staff were lovely. I would have preferred hot meals to order rather than a hot buffet as the food would have been fresher. If I'm being very critical, the breakfast wasn't the best: the rolls were so soggy they were inedible on the first morning and the pastries weren't regularly refreshed, leaving very few by the time we came at 9.30am.

I would stay at this hotel again because they made us feel so very welcome but I would go for a room facing on to the gardens instead of the basement suite and wouldn't include breakfast in the price. A lovely, clean, homely and welcoming place to be though. Thank you for making my birthday very special.

Room Tip: The Guv'nor's two bed suite is lovely but overcrowded with furniture and in the basement res...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank UkMrsC

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that you found the staff to be absolutely wonderful particularly the service you received from Luis and that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was disappointed however to read that you found the breakfast to be adequate and that you felt that the buffet was not refilled to your satisfaction.

We do pride ourselves in exceeding our guest expectations at all times and I am sorry to read that we have not done this on this occasion. I have discussed your feedback with my Food and Beverage manager to ensure that this does not reoccur.

I was also disappointed to read that you felt that the dining table in the Guv’nor’s Suite was too large and that the decoration was not to your taste. We do receive so many fantastic comments regarding our Guv’nor’s Suite but we do also have a large variety of rooms and suites available each with its own unique interior design. We will be more than happy to discuss the room styles with you on your next reservation to ensure that the room that is allocated to you is more to your satisfaction.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

Most of the nice things they say on this site about the hotel are true. It is a sweet English hotel. If you look hard enough you'll find fault everywere - and reading reviews it seems some people only travel to do so - but it's difficult to find some in this place. We stayed here for three nights and what struck me most was the very, very good customerservice. I think that's their main asset. If you're looking for a happening hotel this is not your place. If on the other hand you want a quite, elegant place with a well trained staff in the centre of London: this is it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank erasmus115

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our customer service and that you found our property to be elegant with well trained staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.