“Afternoon Tea at the Montague”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 January 2012

As a special treat for my birthday, on a friend's recommendation (Anna Pearce) I took her and another friend to tea at the Montague. The staff were helpful, charming and friendly which helped to make the occasion a memorable one for all of us. The whole experience was enjoyable from start to finish. The tea itself was excellent with a good choice of teas, sandwiches, scones and cakes. I even got a few petit fours on a large plate with Happy Birthday written in chocolate which Barbara (staff member) organised. Many thanks and I will definitely be recommending to friends.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our afternoon tea service and I was delighted to hear that you found your experience with us to be a memorable one.

I was glad to hear that we were able to mark your birthday celebrations during this visit.

Thank you for personally recommending us to your friends and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We booked the MOTG for our first anniversary break and upgraded on arrival to a suite. Immediately on arrival we were made to feel at home, given a tour of the hotels facilities and generally made to feel as if nothing was too much trouble.
The decor in the rooms is old fashioned, even kitsch, but it's the perfect environment for a romantic weekend break.
The staff are so attentive it is ridiculous but not in an over bearing or interferrring way. The food is of a fantastic quality (tried breakfast and dinner, but didn't have Afternoon Tree) and the service out of this world
It's not cheap but it is value for money for a special occassion.
We will be returning the next time we are in London

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your weekend getaway with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 10-day visit to London, where we stayed at The Montague. We loved the hotel. The service was excellent - the staff were warm, friendly and helpful beyond expectation. Jorge,at the concierge desk, was always willing to provide directions, last minute dinner reservations and answer any questions that we had. The doorman, Mark, was friendly and welcomed us back by name everytime we returned to the hotel. In the bar, Luis and Vasilius were always warm, engaging and provided great service.

The room was comfortable, clean and charming. We would definitely stay here again on any future trips to London.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed the service that we provided especially from the Concierge and Terrace Bar teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed here over the New year. The location is superb and presentation throughout is quite elegant. The breakfasts and the service, however, leave a lot to be desired. The food is stodgy and the staff, while eager, are not particularly well informed. We were told that a taxi to Gatwick would cost upto £90 on the Jan 2 bank holiday. In fact we paid about half that after locating a car service ourselves on the internet. We were also disappointed with the housekeeping. On the first night we found that the "turn down" service meant that the cushions from the bed were piled on the floor. Not being too keen on having dust and germs from shoes and luggage smeared on my sheets (I'm funny that way) I rang housekeeping and told them I had put the cushions in the closet and asked that they not place the cushions back on the bed during our stay. My wishes were carried out the next day, but on the third day they were back on the bed! Won't be in a hurry to stay here again.

Room Tip: We were offered a "garden view" room for £30 extra. The room we got (122) might have prese...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Serendibber
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.
I was extremely disappointed to read that there were several aspects of your stay which you felt did not meet your expectations.

I have taken up your comments regarding your breakfast experience with my Executive Chef to ensure that this does not reoccur.

We do have preferred chauffeured car hire companies that we work with in whom we have confidence that an outstanding service to our guests will be delivered. As such our team members will always use these companies when transportation is requested by our guests. I am sorry that we did not offer to research alternatives for you.

I have also discussed your comments with my Executive Housekeeper regarding your turndown service in order to ensure that this does not reoccur.

We do have a large variety of rooms available, each with their own unique style and I was sorry to read that the room allocated to you was not to your taste.

I do hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed in this hotel just 1-1/2 blocks from the British Museum from 30 Dec. 2011 to 5 Jan. 2012. It was truly wonderful. The staff was very helpful and the room was very nice, comfortable, windows which open, two desks with plenty of outlets (including a European and a U.S. outlet), perfect wifi. Their full English buffet breakfast was classic and delicious. The restaurant, including formal afternoon tea great. But the real story was how very well the staff treated us, including anticipating many of our needs and meeting (or exceeding) all of them. Sure, the place is expensive, but in this case you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michael F

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Montague Hotel.
I was very pleased to read that you found your stay to have exceeded your expectations.

We do take pride in the service that we provide and it is always lovely to receive such feedback as yours.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Best nights sleep for ages! Very well appointed,Extremely convenient for central town, will definitely go back (hopefully!) (valet parking-don't forget to pay the congestion charge!)

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2012

I would just like to say that The Montague On The Gardens was a delightful hotel to spend time celebrating my daughter`s 21st birthday in mid December. It was important to me that she was treated to a little luxury and the hotel staff went out of their way to make her feel special and my hopes and expectations of the Montague were exceeded on every level.
The members of staff we came into direct contact with were all very personable, attentive, efficient, friendly and several were especialy charming which only added to an already superb 2 night stay in one of the sumptious Junior suites.
On a practical level I found my stay to be "good value for money". This was important to me in the current economic climate and the extras experienced in the way of a room upgrade, little treats given to my daughter by the hotel and the quality of the Afternoon Tea/Winter Wonderland experience contributed to this.
I look forward to visiting The Montague more than once during 2012 and my next intended visit will be in March to celebrate my anniversary.

Room Tip: I communicated directly with the hotel via email and then made an on line booking with both methods...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Lizzie M

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations, from the room through to Afternoon Tea and our unique Winter Wonderland experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.