“Christmas at the Montague”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 January 2012

We were a party of three sharing a Master Suite over the Christmas period. We had a superb time - the facilities suited us perfectly and the staff were exceptionally helpful, courteous and professional. We were even given a lovely Christmas stocking full of goodies on Christmas Day! The food was extremely good and we had the added treat of delicious canapes served in our room each evening.
I am a `local` and have a flat nearby in Bloomsbury, so I am aware of how convenient the location is. It was still a real treat to be pampered in this lovely hotel and we shall certainly hope to return.

Room Tip: Master Suite useful because of split-level offering privacy from sitting area, which can also useful...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind feedback following your stay over the Festive period.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed our little treats and that you found the food to be extremely good.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Montague soon.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

We stayed at the Montague for two nights to celebrate my birthday: we have stayed in many hotels in this country and abroad, and can't remember the last time we received such courteous, welcoming and outstanding service. So many little touches that differentiate it from other places, but most importantly all of the staff, without exception, make you feel like a VIP guest, rather than going through the motions of pretending to be interested in your needs as many other hotels do. The hotel itself is warm and welcoming, room service breakfast beautifully served, and as others have said the central location is great. It is not cheap, but nor should it be with its exceptionally high standards: don't stay anywhere else in London!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very complimentary comments about your recent stay at The Montague and I was delighted that we made your birthday celebration an occasion to remember.

At The Montague we are very proud of our staff who genuinely want to please our guests and therefore it is nice to receive such comments as yours.

We do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

I spent 11 days at the Montague over the holidays with my wife, our two adult children, and my mother. Everyone loved the hotel. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful and knew our names after the first couple of days. The rooms were comfortable and the public areas were lovely. The location is also ideal. My wife and I are looking forward to our return.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank BDR85
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2012

Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your lovely comments about your stay at The Montague and I was pleased to hear that your family enjoyed the hotel and the service that we provide.

We look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed at the Montague for 5 days, this month, in January. I feel, having stayed for close to a week, we really were able to get a feel for the hotel and use the restaurant and bar. It would definately become my "go to" place in London whenever we find ourselves there. The attention to detail was amazing. I feel the people went out of their way to make our stay and anniversary celebration extra special. Everyone was willing to go the extra mile to give directions, look up an places we wanted and provide us with exceptional service. London is a very expensive town, but for the value, this hotel is wonderful. No one else can come close to the quality for the dollar. The location was great too; there is a lot to offer in Bloomsbury, including the British Museum and a very pretty park. I am very particular, and found this hotel to be enchanting.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the king deluxe if you can. The rooms are quite small, and the deluxe is well worth the...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your very complimentary feedback about your stay at our hotel.

I was delighted to hear that we made your anniversary celebration an occasion to remember.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

My husband and I spent three nights in a junior suite from December 30 -January 2nd. The hotel itself is charming and lovely, but the staff is what truly sets it apart. The concierge staff got theater tickets for us to a show that was sold out (according to the official online ticket sales site), replied promptly to emails asking for advice and help, and once we arrived, bent over backwards to help us in every way possible, from running several blocks away to round up a cab for us to chasing all over the hotel to find a substitute dress shirt for my husband, who'd forgotten the studs for his tuxedo shirt on New Year's Eve. Every single person working there was friendly, helpful, and an absolute delight to deal with.

The suite itself was nice enough....I wasn't wild about the shower, which was one of those unenclosed rain-types that is very elegant but not terribly practical (from the point of view of a woman who is always cold and has long hair that takes a while to rinse), but the lighted, magnifying makeup mirror and heated towel bars were a wonderful touch.

The location was excellent for us, too - just down the street from the British Museum, walking distance from Trafalgar Square, plenty of restaurants and INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORES everywhere!! You never see those in the US anymore :( And not too far from the theater district.

I am the kind of traveler who never stays in the same hotel twice...I tend to always want to try something new and see what else is out there that I might like better. But I really cannot imagine being any happier in any other hotel in London. The Montague was pricey, but I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay at The Montague.

I was particularly pleased that you found our staff to be a delight to deal with.

I was especially happy to read that we were able to find a substitute dress shirt for your husband’s dinner suit .

Thank you for your comments regarding the rain shower and I will certainly take these into consideration when we next review our bathroom facilities.

I am delighted to hear that we will be your hotel of choice in London for future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

our 4 day break to the montague was enjoyed due to the attentive efficient staff throughout this hotel. the hotel is charactorful and enjoys all modern amenaties. thanks to all and we will defineately return. singleton family inc ashton.

Room Tip: upgrade to kingsize rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments and particularly your kind feedback about the attentiveness of our staff.

I was happy to read that you will be returning to The Montague in future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

I stayed at the Montague on the 6th of January 2012 for one night in order to shop and see a show. This was my second visit my last being in August 11 with my husband who was very ill at the time.
Sadly my husband died two months ago so I was quite anxious about a return visit. I need'nt have worried. My visit was perfect. The Montague thinks of everything but what makes this hotel a cut above every other hotel I have stayed in is the staff.They are amazing, kind,courteous, efficient from the moment you arrive. I was very hard for me to return alone but thanks to you all I had a visit full of precious memories. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank ekw36
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your second visit to The Montague.

I was very sad to hear of your loss, and would like to convey my sincerest condolences.

I was delighted to read that this return visit was an enjoyable one and I do hope that we have the pleasure to welcome you back in future.