“Excellent”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay. Cannot fault the service or the cleanliness of the rooms. All the staff made you felt really welcome - nothing was too much trouble. The concierge staff and dining room staff remembered who we were after just one encounter - little things make the difference. We were out in the evenings but came back to a refreshed room with clean towels fresh bottled water etc. The bed was large and comfortable - each room must be unique as on entering ours the bathroom was on the right and the wardrobe on the left then you went downstairs to the main part of the bedroom - very different and lovely. It was my birthday and a lovely plate of chocolates arrived with a balloon and a handwritten note. Only ate breakfast in the hotel but ot was really lovely. My only criticism....for some reason there were no drawers in our room that we could put clothes in just a desk and a wardrobe!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Withers
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay at The Montague. I was delighted to hear that you had a memorable birthday celebration with us and that you especially enjoyed the service and the treats provided.

Thank you for your comments regarding the lack of drawer space which I will certainly look into.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I recently attended this hotel for a two day work event and as I have coeliac disease had requested special dietary requirements for lunch. Often hotels will make something different to the usual buffet they provide but not the Montague. All the food was served together and available to everyone, they provided platters of beautiful food for the whole group and each platter had a label highlighting whether it contained gluten or not. What stood out was at tea break in the afternoon the group were given scones, with cream and jam and I was presented with a plate of freshly baked gluten free scones - I felt I couldn't say no as someone had gone to the effort of making this especially :-) Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments on your recent visit to the hotel and I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed our gluten free offering.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2012

If you are looking for a quaint, very English hotel with more than enough staff to pamper you....then this is the one for you.

Reception was beautiful and the staff could not do enough for you (even though there seemed to be a lot of senior staff in a small space).

The hotel inside is like a picture book and you get a quick tour prior to being taken to your room.

We did not eat at the hotel as we had already pre-booked elsewhere but from the look of the afternoon tea it would have been very nice!

The only problem I had was I booked for 3 adults online as my son is older, we were booked in at reception (you couldnt miss there were 3 of us in such a small area) and we were taken up to a double room! You could sit at the end of the bed and touch the wall it was so 'cosy'. To their credit the hotel upgraded us to a suite which was outstanding (thank you!). I do wonder what would have happened if they were fully booked though????

Overall a higher cost hotel but you do get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Rooms are quite small so if you can afford it upgrade!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your recent stay at The Montague. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the service that we provided.

May I take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the misunderstanding with the room type that was booked for you, which should have been picked up prior to your arrival and further more upon check in. I was however pleased to hear that we managed to accommodate you in one of our suites and resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in future.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Montague on the Garden is the only place to stay in London! Recently stayed again for a total of 5 nights and my visit was sublime. Top notch, welcoming staff who offer excellent service and go above-and-beyond the call of duty. This boutique hotel offers unique, luxurious rooms in the heart of Blooomsbury close to key attractions - Covent Garden, West End shows and the British Museum! A hotel of the highest standard!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking back garden are lovely, but every room is decorated differently which adds to the...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ViceChick

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your kind comments on your recent stay with us. It was a delight to read your very complimentary feedback regarding the excellent service that you received, which I will share with my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

My wife & I recently stayed 8 nights at the Montague. This was my 4th or 5th stay , so I had high expectations of the service level. We were certainly not disappointed. The room was "cosy" , although about standard in London re size. It was however beautifully appointed and decorated. Everything worked apart from one light bulb which was replaced immediately I reported the problem. Good sized bathroom & a lovely outlook onto internal garden. Had dinner twice during the stay in the Blue Door(?) restaurant : Small menu but excellent & reasonably priced. Friendly but professional serving staff. same location for buffet breakfast. warm environment and , again, excellent service from staff. Always greeted by name , too!!
BUT the big difference with other London hotels , for us, was the STAFF. From the reception staff, Doormen (esp Mark/Andrew),Concierge (esp Jorge), bar staff (Chief) thru to the GM (Dirk) : All absolutely superb. Nothing was too much trouble , from delivering morning coffee thru to arranging travel thru to hastily organising a small business meeting room & breakfast. Honestly , it felt like being at home. We were very sorry to leave. I cannot stay elsewhere now , in London. BTW : It is very evident that the GM is a "front-of-house" guy. He is wandering around with his staff every day and always accessible & helpful. Try finding that in other London hotels!! Reading this review again , I feel guilty about missing some of the staff's names. But they were all superb & I have nothing but praise for them.Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for sharing your very kind comments about your recent stay at The Montague. It is a pleasure to read that you consider the Montague to be your home away from home. At Red Carnation Hotels we pride ourselves in delivering genuine hospitality and it is great to hear that we consistently exceed your expectations.

Thank you for highlighting some individual members of staff and I will ensure that their service is duly recognised.

It was an absolute pleasure looking after you and we are already looking forward to welcoming you again in future.

Reviewed 14 February 2012

Absolutely wonderful, our new favourite hotel in London. In terms of location, the staff, the facilities, everything was wonderful, we couldnt find a fault with the place. The extended breakfast times should become the standard across the industry!! The hotel was having minor repairs done on the day we arrived but the place was kept spotless at all times.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank La_Bamber
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments on your recent stay with us. I was pleased that you found both the service and the facilities to be wonderful.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed here in June of 2011 so I'm a bit late with this review, however I wanted to share my great experience. I booked a single room which was pretty pricey but I wanted to treat myself.. mission accomplished! The room was small, but I expected that. Even with somewhat cramped quarters I was totally comfortable and happy. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Megsboston

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us in June. I was pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you will be returning to The Montague in future.