“Sweetest Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
NYC
“Sweetest Hotel”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

A quick trip to London for six days from NYC is not as daunting as you may think. Heathrow Airport is so easy to negotiate, and a simple and direct ride on the Underground Piccadilly Line takes you from Heathrow right to Russell Square, where you'll find this charming hotel, The Montague on the Gardens.
The location is on the side street of The British Museum, in Bloomsbury. It's a quiet and walkable location, equally close to the Holborn Underground stop on the Central Line. It makes getting around London so very easy.
The Hotel has a lovely and gracious charm about it. Since I was meeting a friend there for a few days on a whim, I didn't plan to indulge in the hotel's afternoon tea, nor did we eat at their restaurant. We were both on a budget and had breakfast in the nearby neighborhoods that we explored, and dinners at the local pubs. Pub food in London can be just great! A great one is steps away from the hotel "The Museum Pub".
The hotel rooms are very individual in their decor and so charmingly traditional. If you want super modern this is not your place. We had a room that was on two levels with a short staircase separating the bathroom from the bedroom, and then a small sitting area with a desk. It was a very comfortable arrangement and afforded privacy and a little separation when needed. The bed was comfortable with crisp white linens. The view out onto the large gardens in the back was pretty even in winter. I liked that we could open the window for fresh air. The Wifi was spotty at times, and they offered to change my room but I just used a USB instead.
I paid for the room using American Express points, so the value of the room for the price is hard for me to say, but I was very happy with the decor, comfort, quietude, friendly service, and appointments. The bathroom was modern and clean.
I wish that I had asked to see other available rooms because at one point I peeked into a room that was being cleaned and it was decorated in spectacular plaid!

I say GO! London is expensive but you can ride all day on an Underground day pass, eat at
little places, enjoy the pubs for dinner, and spend time in an amazing city. Go to Soho and walk around. Bar Italia for coffee, Ed's Diner for delicious late lunch, early dinner, The Dog and Duck Pub for Fish and Chips and a pint.
Favorite shopping: Liberty of London for their famous prints on Women's cotton blouses, other cool things you can bring back for friends like Tea towels with Queen Victoria's face, or beautiful sewing notions and pincushions.
Also try to check out Lamb's Conduit Street for an up-and-coming feel. Fantastic and very cool Menswear boutiques, little cool shops, a nice coffee shop for breakfast.
We splurged on breakfast at Fortnum and Mason's restaurant ( the one downstairs!!!) and it was delicious. Afterwards we bought tins of their cookies that also play music like "God Save The Queen" and "Happy Birthday To You" that were perfect gifts to bring home!!
I love London. This is so easy to do.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank BetsyNYC
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel and I was happy to read that you found the hotel and its decor to be charming.

I did note your comments regarding the intermittent WiFi service for which I sincerely apologise and which I will definitely discuss with our provider.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
North Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 March 2012

A friend and I stayed at The Montague in late November. The hotel was perfect for us. I had contacted them prior to arrival regarding our room preferences. They did their best to provide us with our specifications. The room was ideal for two women with plenty of closet space. It was very quiet though it was located on the street.
The staff was fantastic. Guest services was able to get us theater tickets for a sold out production we wanted to see. They also made great recommendations for high tea and an Indian meal.
Breakfast and room service were both great. We had several late night snacks in the bar which had a great wine selection by the glass. The only downside to the bar was the late night menu which was very limited.
All in all this was a great choice for us.

Room Tip: E-mail manager prior to arrival with your preferences.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your stay with us in November.

I was pleased to read that we were able to meet your preferences in order to make your stay more comfortable.

We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours.

I am sorry to hear that you found the late night menu to be insufficient; unfortunately we are limited in what we can offer during the night. I do hope that this did not detract too much from your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Eindhoven, NL
Reviewed 17 March 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our anniversary and my 21st birthday, and the Montague on the Gardens were indescribably lovely. The service was exceptional, the staff were exceedingly friendly and it was the small personal touches which really made the stay.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

The best hotel in London.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your very complementary feedback on your special weekend at The Montague and I am very pleased that we were able to make your anniversary and 21st birthday an occasion to remember.

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This is a great hotel. Location is very convenient. Can take the tube everywhere from Russell Square, and can also takes all the buses after a 3 minute walk. Of course, the British Museum is a two minute walk away. Absolutely wonderful. Also very close to the Institute of Education.

The property itself is typical British hotel: smallish rooms (compared to North American standards), but extremely well-kept, spotlessly clean, and well-appointed. British showers, which will leave most North Americans cleaning up water after their shower, as the glass only covers a third of the length of the tub. Not a big deal though.

The staff here is wonderful: from the doormen to the concierge to the server staff. Everyone is trying to make your stay the best it can be.

Definitely get a room with breakfast included - this is one of the best parts of this hotel! Great selection, buffet style, but with the option to order from the menu as well. Wonderful, polite serving staff. Great, strong coffee (just like Starbucks).

We were not happy with the overpriced drinks at the bar. We had three drinks and paid almost $50 CAD. I understand hotels need to make a profit, but that was just too much for us, so we didn't go back, and had aperitifs in our room instead (that were bought from the Tesco express).

The other thing to note is the *very* small gym. There is a treadmill, elliptical, and stationary cycle, but this is in a very small room with no window (in the basement). This is a minor quibble, however. It would be great if the hotel could somehow enlarge this space and include a rowing machine.

The Montague would be our number one recommendation for friends needing a hotel in London.

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank AnaesDoc
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for sharing your comments following your recent visit to the hotel. I was delighted to hear that you found the service that you received to be wonderful and that you particularly enjoyed our breakfast.

I have noted your comment regarding the prices in our restaurant and I would like to thank you for this and apologise for any disappointment this would have caused to you. We do conduct a quarterly price survey against our competitors of the same category and try to keep our prices competitive.

Unfortunately, due to limited space we are unable to increase the size of our fitness suite however we do have a partnership with a local full facility gym for which we can obtain complimentary day passes for our guests.

Thank you for recommending us to your friends and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My wife and I have stayed here seveeral times and it's an ideal base for exploring London be it on a theatre break weekend or just a chill out visit.
Rooms excellent, food very good and, considering the reputation London has for 'customer service' this establishment cannot be faulted. We've been upgraded a couple of times which has only added to the already pleasurable experience of the place. Low key, perfectly understated and discreet. All you would require of a good hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Hotels in London are usually a challenge. Sometimes the bathroom isn't appropriate. Sometimes the rooms need some revamping. Good food won't be find too often. Location comes with a price.

Well, at the Montague you'll find:

- Excellent rooms, clean, with a nice bathroom, a great bed and quiet enough for a good night of sleep
- Great food at the restaurant, a rich breakfast
- Amazing and helpful staff
- Fantastic location - at Bloomsbury, near Russel Square station, next door to the British Museum, a short walk to Covent Garden, two blocks from Oxford Street

Add to this an honest pricing, you have the best cost/benefit for your stay at London. It's great for business travelers (free Wifi), it's great for couples (romantic).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank terencereis
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens. I was delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay with us and especially appreciated the food that we serve and the service that you received throughout your stay.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Petersberg, Germany
Reviewed 7 March 2012

From the first minute on a very friendly, helpfull, servicable and decent staff. Breakfast was another good experience to start into the day. The location is pracitcal with easy access to the tube and shopping places all in walking distance. My room of the smallest category for a single traveller was cosy, very clean and silent. As the room temperature was slightly to high, I just opened the (double) window for some fresh air to come in. My second stay over the years withouth any complaints and I left with a comfortable feeling and a lovely prepared breakfast-bag-to-go early in the morning. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Karsten K
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely comment on your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the service that we provided.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in future.