“Great staff, great hotel”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Great staff, great hotel”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Recently visited The Montague and the welcome was exceptional! Upon our arrival we were looked after and treated like royalty. Our room was ready early and we were even offered an upgrade. The room was furnished to a very high standard and the hotel itself is a perfect example of a Boutique hotel. Our room overlooked the tranquile gardens and was so peacful.

We didn't have dinner at the hotel but instead relaxed in the bar had a bottle of wine and took in the atmosphere. I am a Londoner and didn't even realise that such hotels exist - a little gem.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback on your recent stay with us.

I was thrilled to hear that you experienced an exceptional welcome and that we had the opportunity to upgrade your room category on this occasion.

It was a pleasure looking after you and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff by the Sea
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I spent 4 days at the Montague with my father. We loved the location across the street from the British Museum. The hotel itself was wonderful. The staff was friendly, the rooms, while small, were nicely decorated and fairly efficient. We had a room overlooking the street between the hotel and the British Museum, but found it quiet and we slept well each night. We really enjoyed the dinner we had in the restaurant, as well as our daily English Breakfast. If there was any room for improvement, I'd say the bathroom shower (which was a waterfall type shower coming straight down from the ceiling) and was hard to turn on without getting yourself wet!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to hear that you found our rainfall shower not to your liking and I hope that this did not detract too much from your stay.

I was very pleased that you enjoyed the service and the hotel facilities.

I do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We spent 2 nights at the Montague this past week. We loved it. The hotel is oozing with charm; not only the decor but also the staff, who could not be more lovely. Loved the restaurant and bar area. Food was good and our server was adorable. While the room was very, very tight, and over stuffed with unnecessary furniture, it was lovely. The bathroom tub and shower were amazing! So sorry to hear that another couple had a poor experience.

Also loved the neighborhood as it was upscale and had a very traditional British look. If we return to London, I will not hesitate to return to The Montague.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments on your recent stay with us at the Montague.

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time with us and that you will definitely be returning to the hotel in future.

We look forward to welcoming you back then.

Paris, France
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The Montague used to be a very british style hotel and is now much more contemporary style. The hotel recently renovated the bedrooms in a nice design style keeping the authentic London architecture. Very confortable bedroom, great bed. Bathroom are nice except the shower system not efficient.

Good service, great staff.

I really enjoyed the ambiance of the Bar with singer pianist and winter garden room.

MAnagement of the hotel should consider renovate lobby and corridors (really tired) in order to match the new style of the rooms.

Room Tip: Go for King size berdooms, standard are really small... Garden view are really quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay with us and I am delighted to hear that you liked the design of our refurbished bedrooms. I will certainly discuss your comments about the Lobby and corridors with our project team for them to take your suggestion into consideration.

I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed the staff and the service that was provided to you.

I do hope that we have the pleasure in welcoming you back to the Montague in the very near future.

Hendersonville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We spent 5 days at the Montague on the Gardens and received nothing but fabulous service. The staff went out of their way to help us in any way they could. The food was wonderful and the hotel was beautiful. I would stay there again and I would recommend it to anyone.

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Montague Hotel.

I was thrilled to hear that you found the service and the hospitality to be fabulous.

Thank you for recommending us to others and I am delighted that you will be returning back to us in the future.

Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 19 May 2012

This was our first trip to London and we couldn't have picked a better hotel than The Montague. The front desk staff went out of their way to handle any request we had and Mark provided excellent directions whenever we asked. The room was very nice and surprisingly large for a British hotel. The English breakfast was excellent and the restaurant staff were superb. We would definitely choose The Montague again in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sean8tv
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very complementary feedback following your recent stay with us.

I was thrilled to hear that you found the general service to be outstanding and especially the assistance that Mark our doorman provided to you. I will ensure that his service is duly recognised.

I am delighted to read that you will be returning back to the Montague in the future.

Shillelagh Co Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Enjoyed a lovely stay for four nights recently - three of those on a 'three for two' deal in a Junor suite facing the gardens. The room was spacious and very comfortable, and enhanced by a fresh delivery daily of canapes etc, plus fresh roses twice which was a delightul touch. Even though our room was by the lift we were never disturbed by it, and enjoyed a quiet night's sleep. The linen and towels could not be faulted.The public areas of the hotel are spacious and really beautifully appointed, and really encourage you to spend time chilling out. All the staff are excellent -very friendly, informative and most helpful. We enjoyed lunch on the terrace with lovely house wines by the glass. I had a sea food linguini one evening, the only time I felt the standard had slipped a bit.

The Montegue is in an excellent position to enjoy London - only five minutes from Neal St [for Covent Garden], Shaftesbury Ave and St. Martin's Lane and of course, next to the British Museum. There are a profusion of excellent local and very authentic restaurants in the immediate area.

Each morning we walked round to the London review of Books cafe on Bury St - excellent coffee, teas, rolls and cakes.

The Monetgue will difinitely be our port of call when we next visit London.

Room Tip: Garden facing rooms are very quiet.
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments on your recent stay at the Montague on the Gardens.

I was very pleased to read that you had an enjoyable experience with us and that you found the staff to be excellent.

I was though disappointed to hear that you felt that our prawn linguine dish wasn't up to our usual standards, for which I would like to sincerely apologise. I have discussed your feedback with our Executive Head Chef for him to monitor this dish closely in future.

I am pleased that you are planning to return back to us and we look forward to welcoming you then.