“Another fabulous stay at the Montague!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #12 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Athens, Georgia
“Another fabulous stay at the Montague!”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

My husband I spent our second stay at the Montague over the Thanksgiving (USA) week. It was our second visit to the Montague and we were in room 318, which was street facing but we weren't bothered by any street noise. The hotel is lovely, the room was cozy and very comfortable, and the location is perfect for our interests. But the very best thing about the Montague is the staff. I can't say enough about their attentiveness, service, and friendliness. They go out of their way to make sure you have what you need when you need it - be it an umbrella, a taxi, turn down service, or a glass (or two...) of wine! We have stayed in different hotels all over London, but finally we have found our home away from home - the Montague.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank GATraveljunkies
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your second stay with us. Here at the Montague, we like to make our guests stay as comfortable and memorable as possible and create that home from home feeling. I’m thrilled to read that we were able to provide this for you. We are very proud of our staff and it pleases me to read your kind comments about them.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed three nights at the Montague. The Hotel is decorated with classic old European style. Very warm and beautifull. The rooms are cozy, decorated and clean. We enjoyed very much from the staff which were welcoming and effective. Only 5 minutes walking from Russel Sq. station. Definitely one of the best boutique hotels in London.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Tsr69
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent visit to the Montague on the Gardens hotel.

I was thrilled to read that you found the hotel to be warm and beautiful and that your room was cozy and clean. It pleases me to read that you thought the staff were welcoming and helpful. We are very proud of our staff and so it is lovely to hear such comments as yours.

Thank you for your kind comment that the Montague is one of the best boutique hotels in London. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed here for one night for a work xmas party. Lovely hotel in a great location in Bloomsbury. The staff were great, very friendly and gave good service. The room was very comfortable although it was small. The breakfast was very good.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Rob_M_UK
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly and that they provided a good service during your stay. We are very proud of our staff so I am pleased to read your kind comments. I’m also happy to read that your room was comfortable and you enjoyed the breakfast.

Blairgowrie
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Our first stay at this hotel and selected due to its location close to West End and a venue I was giving a lecture at. The website was informative and images matched-up well to reality. A very straightforward booking process.

The location was perfect-virtually opposite British Museum and a short walk to Oxford Street.

We were made to feel extremely welcome from the moment we arrived-the standard of service and friendly attitude ofthe staff was one of the most memorable aspects of the stay.

Our room was comfortable and well furnished and we lacked for nothing in terms of amenities.

The restaurant was excellent - breakfast and dinner- both in terms of quality and choice of dishes and service. Prices were of a moderate level but not excessive,

The hotel was decorated for Christmas and gave the impression of stepping into a by-gone elegant age.

We shall certainly look to return on a future trip to London.

Room Tip: Point out to cabbie this is next to British Museum as we were originally taken to the wrong Montague...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MandarinBlairgowrie
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay here at the Montague.

I was delighted to read that you found the website to be informative, the booking process straightforward and the restaurant excellent.

Our staff take genuine interest in ensuring our guests have everything they need to have a pleasurable stay and so I’m glad that all amenities were provided for you. It pleases me to read that you found the service and friendly attitudes of the staff to be a memorable aspect of your stay.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Ashfield, MA
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We arrived late in the evening from a day of travel to find our bedroom and bath decorated in rose petals, candles, flowers and treats to celebrate our 29th anniversary! We stayed for 7 nights, and the staff never walked by without a smile or welcoming greeting. I spent a bit of time alone there as well, since we combined a business trip with our celebration, and the friendliness of the staff made me very comfortable dining alone. The food was delicious, the service was perfect, and the room was always very clean. The Montague provided daily late afternoon hors d'oeuvre, and nightly turndown with pillow chocolates! We loved the in room tea availability each day. All of the staff were extremely friendly and eager to please, making our visit very pleasant. I would definitely choose to stay here again on the next trip!
S. Reynolds

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sgkreynolds
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 7 December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent visit to the Montague on the Gardens hotel.

Congratulations on your 29th anniversary, it pleases me to read that you enjoyed the romantic turndown that was arranged for you. Our staff take genuine interest in our guests and we like to make them feel as comfortable as possible in every way and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours.

I’m delighted to read that you found the food to be delicious and your room very clean.

Chesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2012

It was always my intention to spend a weekend at this hotel when I got the chance. The only disappointment was that the room was smaller than anticipated and the bathroom so tiny as to be uncomfortable and awkward. But both rooms were well stocked and re-stocked, the bed was very comfortable and the overall service within the hotel was first class. The location is good, on a quiet street, though the tube station is not that close. The lounge area is stunning but not large enough at times, and the breakfast room is comfortable, with an excellent breakfast provided. My overall impression is that it is a wonderful quality hotel for a short stay but rather overpriced, especially if you prefer more space for your money - perhaps paying for a larger room would make it more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Pay more for a larger room if you can. I did ask to see other rooms for the same price but apparentl...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank paul l
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your stay with us.

I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you as well as some of the public areas. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property and boutique hotel we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. I am sorry that this particular room was not appropriate and to your taste.

I read your comments regarding your wish to see other rooms in that category or being offered the possibility to upgrade. My apologies that this was not possible at the time as on occasions the hotel is fully booked which limits us to offer upgrades or alternative options depending on other guests’ reservations.

I was surprised to read that you felt the location of the tube was not that close. The closest tube station is Russell Square, which is approximately a 5minute walk away. I apologise if this wasn’t made clearer to you at the time.

I am pleased to read however, that you felt the breakfast was excellent and the lounge to be stunning. We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and we constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

Thank you for your feedback once again and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Montague in the future.

Co Durham
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Lovely hotel, no criticisms other than inefficient heating. We stayed 2,nights 30 Nov/1 Dec. Bathroom had no heating at all, quite cold and relied on heating from room itself. Hotel itself was very nice, staff very friendly and breakfasts excellent.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies regarding your room not being heated sufficiently. Some of our bathrooms face the gardens and I appreciate they may not be as warm as other bathrooms in the hotel, especially with the current cold weather. I will be revisiting these rooms to see how we can improve the heating in the bathrooms.

However, I’m delighted to read that you found the staff to be very friendly and the breakfast excellent.