“All of the wonderful reviews of this hotel are accurate!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Lynchburg, Virginia
“All of the wonderful reviews of this hotel are accurate!”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This is a wonderful hotel that absolutely lives up to all of the wonderful reviews it receives. The location of the hotel combined with the fabulous staff and lovely atmosphere of the rooms and all of the common areas made this a wonderful choice for our family's first trip to London. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank pickyaboutwhereistay
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 13 December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent visit to the Montague.

I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found the staff to be fabulous. Here at the Montague we aim to create an atmosphere that makes our guests feel comfortable and their visit one that is memorable.

I would like to personally thank you for your kind recommendation and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I really can't say enough positive things about The Montague. I was there for four nights in November 2012. My room, while small, was exquisitely appointed. I felt like I was a guest in a palace. Bathroom, toiletries--top notch. I loved the rainstorm-type shower. It was fantastic that a full English breakfast was included, so I could fuel up before heading out each day. And when I came back to my room, exhausted from exploring London, I could order delicious comfort food from the room service menu, which arrived promptly and prepared to perfection. And now for the service--the staff could not have done more to show that my comfort and happiness truly were priorities for them. Feeling a little ill? They'll offer to send peppermint tea to your room. Not sure of the best way to get to your desired attraction? They'll give you detailed, easy-to-follow directions. Fussy eater? They'll prepare your food just as you want it. Have an early flight? They'll hire you a comfy car and pleasant driver to get you to Heathrow on time. No muss, no fuss. Bonus: The Montague is just steps from the British Museum. Wonderful, wonderful, all the way around. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Heather F
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and especially your room and the rain shower.

Here at the Montague our staff take genuine interest in our guests’ needs. We like to ensure that you have everything you may need during your visit to London to make your stay comfortable and pleasurable. I’m delighted to read that we were able to provide this for you.

I would like to thank you for your kind recommendation and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

UK
Reviewed 11 December 2012

We just came back from a weekend stay at this hotel and have to say we loved it. It really is a little gem of a hotel and will be my go to base for London from now on.
The hotel is a boutique hotel just off Russell Square so walking distance to all the major attractions or just a short tube ride away.
The hotel is lovel and the room we were assigned (227) was beautiful and opulent. Our room was over two floors which was a nice surprise and we were even given a box of homemade goodies to devour when we checked in.
The hotel staff could not do enough for us and the service was second to none. Its rare these days in alot of london hotels to be treated like the staff actually care about your custom and I know because this is a small boutique hotel they can afford the time but honestly the staff are amazing.
We managed to visit the Ski Lodge as well on this trip and really wish we could fit in another trip to London before Christmas to do this again as it was so much fun and so Christmasy. If you are in London try and book to go as it really is something different and the food and the flavoured vodkas are great.
I will be back.

Room Tip: Love room 227. Split onto two levels but big enough to sleep three comfortably.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rikimuk
Dear guest,

I was pleased to read that you liked your room and felt it to be beautiful and opulent and that our staff gave great service. We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such feedback as yours.

I am also delighted that you enjoyed the Montague Ski Lodge and thank you for your kind recommendation to others. I am pleased to let you know that the Ski Lodge opening has been extended to the 3rd February 2013.

Thank you for your kind comment that the Montague is a ‘gem of a hotel’ and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Melbourne
Reviewed 9 December 2012

my partner and I stayed here for 3 nights recently we were totally blown away by the staff and the service they provide. we have never felt so cared for in a hotel before.
nothing was too much trouble . I was unwell and all efforts were made to help me get up and about quickly including helping to find a doctor. We enjoyed our meal in the bistro and they also went out of their way to accommodate my fussy eating request!!
noting my partners birthday and our first year wedding anniversary was so special to us as a gay couple. ( married in NYC) last year.
Yes the rooms are small but so fantastically appointed I cannot imagine there is anything you could want that's not provided.
We were thrilled with our experience and will stay nowhere else in London in future.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pam6
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us.

Congratulations on your first wedding anniversary. Here at the Montague we aim to make our guests feel as comfortable as possible and ensure they have everything they may need. I’m sorry to read that you were not feeling too well but am glad that the staff were able to help with a doctor and hope that it didn’t interrupt your stay too much.

I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your meal in our restaurant; the Blue Door Bistro and that you had a memorable time celebrating your partner’s birthday and your anniversary.

Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

It wasn't immediately obvious to me why the Montague was ranked so high. Their strengths are obvious enough: the location on Russell Square is fantastic, the staff is both extremely friendly and very professional, the period building is lovely, and even the finish of the decorations where most hotels let you down tells the story of people who really know and love their business. So far so good. But then there are other things that should bring the points down. For one thing, my single room was so tiny that the double bed barely fit in. Moreover, the decor was like some turquoise imitation rococo more fitting for a hospitality establishment of another kind. The same overdone sense of recreated (rather than renovated) style is repeated in the lobby and other common rooms. But miraculously the Montague pulls it off. So what should be a flaw, isn't. The Montague is a very good hotel, there is no doubt about that, but in addition it has a sense of humour. The room isn't tiny after all, but 'romantic'. The turquoise turns out to be 'fun' rather than tasteless. And I have never seen "do not disturb" traffic lights that you can operate from your bedside! Highly recommended to anyone tired of standardised corporate monotony.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with the room allocated. I would like to apologise for the disappointment and inconvenience this caused to you. Being an older individually decorated boutique property, our rooms, sizes and décor do vary and I do appreciate that the styles may not be to everyone’s tastes.

However, I was delighted to read your kind comments about the staff being extremely friendly and professional, we are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such feedback as yours.

I would like to personally thank you for your kind recommendation and I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 9 December 2012

My husband I spent our second stay at the Montague over the Thanksgiving (USA) week. It was our second visit to the Montague and we were in room 318, which was street facing but we weren't bothered by any street noise. The hotel is lovely, the room was cozy and very comfortable, and the location is perfect for our interests. But the very best thing about the Montague is the staff. I can't say enough about their attentiveness, service, and friendliness. They go out of their way to make sure you have what you need when you need it - be it an umbrella, a taxi, turn down service, or a glass (or two...) of wine! We have stayed in different hotels all over London, but finally we have found our home away from home - the Montague.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank GATraveljunkies
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear guest,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your second stay with us. Here at the Montague, we like to make our guests stay as comfortable and memorable as possible and create that home from home feeling. I’m thrilled to read that we were able to provide this for you. We are very proud of our staff and it pleases me to read your kind comments about them.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed three nights at the Montague. The Hotel is decorated with classic old European style. Very warm and beautifull. The rooms are cozy, decorated and clean. We enjoyed very much from the staff which were welcoming and effective. Only 5 minutes walking from Russel Sq. station. Definitely one of the best boutique hotels in London.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Tsr69
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent visit to the Montague on the Gardens hotel.

I was thrilled to read that you found the hotel to be warm and beautiful and that your room was cozy and clean. It pleases me to read that you thought the staff were welcoming and helpful. We are very proud of our staff and so it is lovely to hear such comments as yours.

Thank you for your kind comment that the Montague is one of the best boutique hotels in London. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.