“Wonderful end to our honeymoon!” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,086 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful end to our honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

The Montague was the final stop on our honeymoon, and everyone at the hotel treated us like royalty. It was such a special experience - from the gorgeous suite with a note and chocolates from the hotel manager, to the friendly service and help we received when heading out for sightseeing or dinner. The accommodations are lovely and luxurious and it was nice to be in a quiet neighborhood but still very close to lots of the great sites of the city,

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations and made the final stop on your honeymoon a special experience.

Our staff take pride in all they do to ensure that a guest’s stay is comfortable and memorable and so I am pleased that they treated you like royalty and were helpful with sightseeing and dinner.

I shall ensure that your kind feedback that the staff were helpful is passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Antrim, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

This hotel is parallel to a busy road with cafes and restaurants on one side and the British Museum on the other but manages to be peaceful, relaxing and quiet in a great central location. Point for anyone using the tube, the closest stop, Russell Sq uses a lift which we found slow during busy times. Check in and out was quick and easy. Room was on the small side but decorated and cleaned to a fantastic standard. There were slippers and bath robes for use, along with tea/coffee making facilities. The kitchen sent up a little birthday treat which was a special touch as were the fresh cookies left in the room, along with bottled water and the turn down service. Dinner was excellent as were the two breakfasts we had, again the staff were super efficient, knowledgeable and friendly. We had breakfast on the terrace in glorious weather, only point with this is you have to carry food from the main buffet, but again the staff are there to help. The terrace, bar and gardens are a little gem in the heart of the city and we wished we had factored more time in to enjoy them during our stay. We stayed as part of the theatre land package and our tickets were 9 rows from the front. Overall an excellent experience for our stay with this hotel.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback following your visit to the hotel.

I was thrilled to read that the check in was a quick and easy process and that you were happy with your room, finding it to be decorated and cleaned to a fantastic standard.

I was equally delighted that you liked dinner in our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro and that you had the opportunity to enjoy your breakfast on the terrace whilst embracing the glorious weather.

We are very proud of our staff who like to make sure that our guests have everything they may need to create a wonderful stay and so your kind comments that they were efficient, knowledgeable and friendly are most appreciated. I will be sure to pass these kind words on to the team.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague in the near future.

Encino, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Keep in mind that this is not Claridge's... nor is it trying to be. It's much smaller, it's much more charming. There is only one elevator but we never had to wait for it.

From the moment I first emailed them, they were on it. Tibor, the night manager, first confirmed our room then, bit by bit, got us into better rooms as they became available. He's email saying, "Something just became available off the street, facing the garden or slightly bigger".

Right across from the British museum, underground station (Russel Sq) not too far away, bike rental rack just up the street. Small, cozy lobby staffed by very friendly people. When I would get downstairs before breakfast was being served one of the guys would peel off from his station in the lobby and come back with a full coffee service.

A few minor downsides... I think breakfast buffet could open a half-hour earlier that 7 and they could definitely mix it up a little more. Don't get me wrong... it's a very nice buffet but it's identical every morning and if you are staying there for any length of time you realize about three days into your stay that you aren't quite as excited by the breakfast as you had been. Also, some of the maid service was better than others... just minor stuff but noticed.

The martinis in the bar were not consistent... depended on who was making them. It sounds like a pathetic thing to complain about but that's why we're here, right? But seriously, it would have to be one crappy martini to take away from the fact that you are in this old-school bar in this wonderful old building with piano music tinkling in the bg and everyone being so nice. They bring out a nice little nut-and-olive plate when you sit in any of the bar areas. Tastes good and it's free... after that, the food we ordered in the bar got heavier on price and lighter on quality.

Here and there you would find a chair that was past it's prime but just adding to the charm.

Water pressure and shower/bath controls... amazing. Steam-heated towel warmers... nice!

I think one of the coolest things about The Montague is it's meandering layout... you veer off one way and it's the dining room, take a few steps up and you can either go out to the small but bright sun porch that has maybe four tables in it or slip into the bar (another five steps down) where, in the evening, there is always someone talented at the piano. Pass through the old-school warmly-appointed bar and you have your choice of no less than four more seating areas, all with different "feels"... some lighter, some outside, some outside but heated... just choose your micro-climate.

We treated ourselves to this place. It's not cheap but no place in London really is. Compared to other hotels that seemed as well-reviewed, the Montague was reasonably prices... and some very charming, pleasant surprises on arrival. If you want "grand", this might not be the place for you.

Room Tip: Garden-facing was nice. The only thing stopping us from getting a wonderful night's sleep was t...
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback following your stay with us.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed that the breakfast buffet in the Blue Door Bistro does not open any earlier than 7pm. We can arrange for an earlier take-away breakfast to be organised and sent to your room at a more convenient time for you, please let our Restaurant, Reception or Concierge staff know next time and we will be more than happy to help. With regards to the content of the breakfast, we try our best to ensure that there is something that all guests can enjoy however we understand that this is not always easy. We have recently carried out a review of our breakfast adding new items and healthier varieties to the menu.

I was pleased however that you experienced good service whilst in the restaurant and that our night staff were able to assist you and make you a coffee each morning.

I would also like to apologise if you felt the martinis in the bar were not consistent, however I am delighted that this did not alter your mood in the Terrace Bar, and you enjoyed the live pianist and atmosphere.

However, I was extremely happy to read that you had a pleasant stay with us nonetheless and I am thrilled that Tibor was able to assist you with your booking and kept you updated with what we could offer.

I am also delighted that you enjoyed your room, especially the shower, bath and heated towel rack.

We feel that the Montague is a unique hotel and being a Georgian townhouse the layout and decor creates a lot of character. We are extremely pleased to be able to offer the different public areas of the hotel including the outdoor eating and sitting space.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

St Peter Port, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

Wonderful place to stay.
The breakfasts are excellent and the afternoon teas are fantastic (they have been voted in the top 10 of best afternoon teas in London)
Standard rooms though are very small, worth getting a larger room

Room Tip: We always ask for a top floor room away from lifts and end of corridor if possible. This is not jus...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

It pleases me to read that you found the Montague to be a wonderful place to stay. I am also delighted that you enjoyed breakfast from the Blue Door Bistro and felt that the afternoon tea was fantastic. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to our kitchen team.

I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Brandon, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

This was my second stay at Montague on the Gardens and, based on what I was hearing around me, most people return over and over again. The staff take care of the guests in a lovely manner. I want to thank Lucia in the dining room for taking particular care of me. She went way out of her way to make sure my stay was tremendous. I also want to thank housekeeping as they worked very hard to make sure the rooms were perfect.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review about your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your return visit to the Montague. Our staff take pride in all they do for our guests and so I am pleased that you felt cared for by the whole team. I am especially thrilled that Lucia went out of her way to make your stay tremendous.

I will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to the staff and their service is duly recognised.

We hope to welcome you back to the Montague soon.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

W e stayed at this hotel last weekend on the Pompeii exibition, one night stay, and afternoon tea package. It was my birthday present to my husband who studied Classics at university. We were not disappointed. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a junior suite, which was not quite ready when we checked in. We were invited to wait in the lounge, or leave our bags. We opted to wait and were asked several times by staff if they could do anything for us. The staff were extremely attentive throughout our stay and couldn't do enough for us. Our room was soon ready and we were quickly moved in. The suite was lovely, very comfortable, with everything we could possibly need. The breakfast the next morning was very good, with an excellent choice of hot and cold food, and again service was excellent. We went along to the exibition at the British Museum which is only a couple of minutes walk away, and then returned for our afternoon tea. We have taken afternoon tea at this hotel previously, and therefore we knew it to be good, and we were not disappointed. The staff brought the tea, explained all about the tea brewing, and about the food. We were offered more sandwiches if we wanted them, but I found I had already had plenty, although my husband was happy to eat a few more. Then we left for home, wishing we could have stayed longer to enjoy this lovely hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your stay at the Montague.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such wonderful comments as yours. Our staff like to make our guests feel completely at home and ensure that they have everything they may need. I am pleased that you found your room to be comfortable.

I was thrilled that you enjoyed the breakfast in the Blue Door Bistro and found the choice and service to be excellent. I was equally delighted that we once again met your expectations with regards to the afternoon tea and you were not disappointed.

Canberra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

I recently stayed at The Montague on the Gardens for five days. I went with high expectations after reading such good reviews on tripadvisor but it more than lived up to its reputation.
From the minute I walked into the foyer, I knew I was in for a very special experience, The surrounding and the pleasant and friendly approach of the staff created a great atmosphere.
There were just so many pluses but what stood out for me were the furnishings, the location and the attention to detail with the little things.
The hotel was on a quiet street but just a short walk through the beautiful nearby park and you were on a quick tube or bus ride into any part of bustling London. As for the little things, the fresh red carnation in the bathroom said it all.
I have stayed in may hotels but there has been none in which I have enjoyed my stay more.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review regarding your recent visit.

I was extremely pleased that you felt your stay with us was a special experience. Our staff take pride in all they do and so your comments that they were pleasant and friendly are most appreciated, I will be sure to pass these on to the team.

It pleases me to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Montague more than other hotels you have experienced.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.