“Ealing Comedy!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Ealing Comedy!!!”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Well, you can call me a star spotter but I hit gold at the MontagueI No less than Hattie Jacques biographer's assitant! after a few glasses of wine and a few stories I could hardly stay on my seat!!! Chatham House rules though- mums the word!! Service was fantastic and the room reminded me of just what london has to offer

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback following your recent visit.

I was delighted that enjoyed your stay with us and thought the service was fantastic. I was equally thrilled that you liked your room.

It pleases me to read that you had a memorable stay and was able to enjoy the company of another guest.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Excellent location, I could see the British Museum from my window. Room small but luxurious - bed linens make you think you're sleeping on clouds. No noise from street. Lovely public rooms. Best of all is service: caring, attentive, personal. For someone travelling solo you feel like you are known. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for the largest room on the level you selected -- worth a try.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review about your recent stay with us.

It pleases me to read that you found your room to be luxurious and the bed comfortable. I’m delighted that you felt like you were ‘sleeping on clouds’.

Our staff constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. We like to ensure that guests feel comfortable whether they are travelling in a group or on their own. I am thrilled that they were caring, attentive and personal.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, we hope to welcome you back to the Montague in the near future.

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Cozy hotel close to the British museum and Russel Square park and tube station. There is a very nice bar and conservatory overlooking a lovely courtyard garden. Tiny room (by choice), very nice. Would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy W
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

I was pleased to read that you found the Montague to be cosy and that you enjoyed the Terrace Bar and Conservatory during your stay. I was equally delighted that you thought your room was very nice. Your kind feedback is most appreciated.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This hotel is the epitome of a small upper-class English hotel. The common areas are well-appointed and comfy. The rooms are smallish, but have everything you need. But the best part is the wonderful service. It seems like everyone on staff knows your name. The concierges (Jorge, Mark, and Sandor worked with us) were tremendously helpful and knowledgeable. The location is great - near the Underground, the theatre district, and across the street from the British Museum. The high tea is exceptional (and the conservatory and gardens add just the right touch), and the other food we had was also very good. The breakfast buffet is fully stocked, and they also do made-to-order entrees. Bottom line: you just can not do better when in London.

2 Thank WRhodes
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your stay with us.

Your kind words that the Montague is the ‘epitome of a small upper class English hotel’ and that the public areas were comfortable are most appreciated.

We like to ensure that our guests have everything they may need so I was pleased that you found our Concierge team to be helpful and knowledgeable.

I was delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy Afternoon Tea and that you found it to be exceptional. I was equally thrilled that you thought the breakfast buffet in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro was also very good.

I hope to welcome you back to the Montague again in the near future.

Bethesda, MD
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

My wife, daughter and I recently stayed at the Montague for 7 days of sightseeing in London. We were greeted by the friendliest and most helpful staff I have ever encountered. Our room was a junior suite, which meant that my teenage daughter had her own space, which she appreciated. The room was stocked with 2 fruit and biscuit baskets, which we enjoyed throughout our stay. The concierge staff helped us navigate a new city with ease, and we grew to appreciate how close the hotel is to the underground. Each day we were glad to return to the Montague after several hours of sightseeing, where we'd sit on the terrace and order from the milkshake bar. Seven days was not enough to see everything we wanted to see in London, so we will be back. And when we do we'll be sure to stay at this elegant yet comfortable hotel.

2 Thank tuscantraveler9
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I was delighted that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and that your daughter appreciated her own space in the room.

We like to make our guests feel comfortable and so I am thrilled that you were able to relax with one of our many milkshakes in the Terrace bar in the evenings.

Our staff constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I’m pleased that the team were friendly and helpful, especially the Concierge who assisted you with guidance around London.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague again in the near future.

Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and thoroughly enjoyed both the hotel and the neigborhood. The British Museum is around the corner and there is good access to the Tube from both Holborn and Russell Square stations. The hotel has a country-inn feel and the staff are wonderful. Our room was tiny, but well-decorated, with a large bathroom with tub and shower. The bed was comfortable, but the room was so small that we had to place one suitcase on the desk and the other on a chair in order to be able to move around the room. The closet was adequate and had some shelves, but no drawers for clothing, so we mostly lived out of our suitcases. We did not have breakfast at the hotel (too pricey), but did have snacks in the bar area and a wonderful afternoon tea in the conservatory. Overall a good experience and we will return if our budget permits. (We got a very good rate for this stay - booked far ahead.)

1 Thank kaja2
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind feedback following your visit to the hotel.

I was sorry to read that you found the room to be small. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

However, I was thrilled that you found it to be comfortable and liked the large bathroom.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the snacks in the bar and found the Afternoon Tea to be wonderful.

We hope to welcome you back to the Montague in the near future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 June 2013

The Montague is literally steps away from the British Museum--as noted, the location is excellent. The service is just wonderful--it sounds corny but the people here really do seem to care. Also, the food is really, really good--we ate at the Blue Door for dinner twice and were completely impressed with everything--delicious fish, super sweet, fresh veggies, salads and sides, wonderful presentation. For me, the best part was the quiet and peacefulness of Bloomsbury, where the hotel is located. The icing on this cake at the Montague is the walkability of the streets, garden and surrounding area. We were sad to go but extremely relaxed when we did. :)

Room Tip: The staff will literally bend over backward to make sure you are having a good time--call ahead to a...
1 Thank eerrickson
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review following your recent visit to the Montague.

I’m delighted to read that you had a relaxing time with us.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I was equally pleased that you had the opportunity to dine in our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro and you felt the food was delicious. I will be sure to pass on your wonderful feedback to our kitchen staff who will be most appreciative.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.