“Lovely Stay in London”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We enjoyed a six-night stay at the Montague, making a reservation after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor. I let the hotel know in advance that we were celebrating our 5th anniversary, and we arrived to find rose petals all over the room, delicious treats, and candles burning in the bathtub.

The concierge staff was most helpful with one person offering an endless array of options and advice. They had helpful maps, too.

The room is very small but lovely. Towels, bed and sheets were all more than adequate.

The only hitch came near the end of our stay when we decided to order an early lunch. The bar starts to serve food at 11:00, and we entered a few moments after to discover that the staff was nowhere close to being ready. We soon learned that no one was in the kitchen and waited quite a while for ice to come up to the space to enjoy with our drinks. When the food arrived, it was perfectly fine for bar food but I might suggest that preparations start earlier if the advertised opening is 11:00.

The location is wonderful - on a quiet street but within walking distance to so many things including Covent Gardens and Piccadilly Circus with a bus stop right out front and the Tube stations a few blocks away. Our room was also very quiet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dmc10
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind feedback following your visit to the hotel.

I am honoured that you chose to spend your 5th Anniversary with us.

However, I was extremely sorry to hear that you had some issues with timings of food being served in our bar. I was very disappointed with this as we pride ourselves on great customer service and anything less is not acceptable. I have shared your feedback with my Food and Beverage Manager and he has spoken with the teams to ensure this does not happen again.

I’m pleased that you found your room, although small, to be lovely and were happy with all the amenities provided, especially the romantic turndown.

Your kind comments about the Concierge being helpful during your stay are most appreciated, your feedback is a great motivator for the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Montague over the coming months.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Loved this hotel - location good ten minutes walk to Euston station or Covent Garden, and five minutes from Holburn tube and Russell Square tube. Breakfast excellent and afternoon tea totally amazing. Really thought our stay was enhanced because of the friendly staff. Would recommend to friends. Room comfortable and clean, the only negative would be the squeaky floorboards upstairs and the early riser that woke us walking over it several times. Otherwise perfect hotel in lovely area of London

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review following your recent visit to the Montague.

I would like to thank you for your feedback with regards to the noise from the guest in the room above you. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance this and the squeaky floorboards would have caused. We are limited with what we are able to do with regards to noise levels within the hotel; however I have asked my Chief Engineer to investigate possible ways in which we can improve the sound proofing of our rooms without causing further disruption to our guests. However I am pleased that you found the room to be clean and comfortable.

I am delighted to read that you thought the breakfast to be excellent and your Afternoon Tea from our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro was totally amazing.

Your kind comments about the staff are also most appreciated and I will sure to pass them on.

Than you for your offer of recommendation, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We recently returned from a family vacation in London and spent a week in this wonderful hotel. The staff was very attentive and did an amazing job with all of the details surrounding this special trip for my son's birthday. They are extremely customer service focused, and we would definitely return on our next trip. Jorge, Lucia, Patrik, and Angel were stand outs in the hotel - they helped our family with everything from getting a driver to Wimbledon last minute to making sure that the boys had food prepared to their liking! Thanks again for a memorable stay in London.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am pleased that you chose the Montague as your hotel for your son’s special birthday trip.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I’m delighted Jorge, Lucia, Patrik and Angel were able to assist you during your stay with us including arranging drivers and with specific dishes. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the team and that their service is duly acknowledged.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed at the Montague on the gardens in London with my mum and two sisters. It was a girls trip, we come from Australia. It was the best hotel by far, of all on our trip. The rooms were gorgeous, small, but perfect. Oh and the best shower I've ever had! The service is impeccable! We loved the concierge, Jorge. He went above and beyond for us Aussies!! A great hotel, we'll definitely come back! Thanks for having us!

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your girls’ trip to London and the Montague. I was equally thrilled that you found the rooms to be gorgeous with the best shower you have ever experienced.

It pleases me to read that Jorge was able to assist you during your stay; I will pass on your kind comments and will ensure that his service is duly recognised.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We spent four nights at the end of our holiday here in London. Great place in an excellent location. We dropped our car off at Hertz around the corner and were able to walk there. In fact we walked everywhere from the hotel, yes there were some sore feet but its a great way to see the city and we saw all the main attractions.
The hotel has excellent service and their restaurant is fantastic. We only partook in the continental breakfast as we are not full breakfast people however we enjoyed it and the service.
On arrival we found that we had been booked in to a UK Queen room (double bed), this room was really lovely with a gorgeous bathroom but the bed was too small. We spent the first night here and were upgraded to a nicely decorated room with a proper King size bed for the remainder of our stay. The bathroom was not as beautiful as the first but we fit in the bed so who's complaining.
All the staff are very professional and friendly, a special mention to one of the restaurant breakfast staff, the one with squashed toes courtesy of my husband, she was very friendly with a good sense of humour (sorry we cannot remember her name).
We do recommend The Montague!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JVJ805
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review about your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to read that you felt your room was too small for comfort on your first night. However I was pleased that we were able to arrange a larger room for you on request for the remainder of your stay.

I’m delighted that you found the service to be excellent and our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro to be fantastic. It pleases me to read that you enjoyed the breakfast.

We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind feedback as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I’m thrilled that the staff were professional and friendly and that our breakfast staff shared a good sense of humour. I shall ensure that your kind praise and thanks is passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, we hope to welcome you back to the Montague in the near future.

Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed here and really like it. We arrived after taking the night train from Scotland and so were grubby. Staff could not have been nicer. We had a lovely breakfast in the back garden that was just delightful. Our room was very comfortable and staff were constantly checking that all was OK. The location next to the British Museum is a great base for walking a over downtown while still being quiet. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank PDXtravelers16

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations.

I was thrilled to read that you were able to enjoy breakfast on the Terrace and you found it to be delightful.

Our staff like to ensure that our guests have a very comfortable stay and so I am happy that their efforts were noticed.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

We were looking for somewhere to have afternoon team in London and having done some research on the Ritz, Waldorf etc. We opted for the Montague. Good choice. This place is just round the corner from the British museum we had out tea out on the terrace and the first thing that strikes you is just how quiet it is. Centre on London and you overlook some superb gardens and would think you are in the Countryside.
Good choice of different teas, very good quality food and you can ask for more at no extra cost. The service was very friendly and certainly not in your face and its an extremely relaxing couple of hours. No one rushes you and its excellent value. We got a package that include the Pompei exhibition but you can go there for £25 per head its excellent value. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David S

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments following your recent visit to the Montague.

I was absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea with us here. I was also delighted that you were able to experience the tea on our Terrace and that the surroundings allowed you to feel as though you were dining in the countryside.

We like to ensure that our guests are fully satisfied so I was happy to read that you didn’t feel rushed and enjoyed the selection of teas and found the food to be of very good quality.

Thank you for your kind recommendation and I hope to welcome you back to the Montague again in the near future.