“Home Away From Home”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Another fabulous stay at the Montague on the Gardens - 6 nights in a lovely garden terrace room. Greeted with a glass of fresh orange juice when I arrived at 6:00 a.m. from a long overseas flight and provided a complimentary room for a nap until my room was ready. All the staff treat you like a life-long friend from the moment you arrive until you check-out. Hard to find a more welcoming, friendly or helpful place to stay than the Montague on the Gardens. Treat yourself!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ViceChick
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely feedback about your recent visit.

We like to create that home from home feeling, and as returning guests I am delighted that we have been able to do this and have once again met your expectations. Thank you for your kind comments that it would be hard to find a more welcoming, friendly or helpful place other than the Montague. Your feedback is most appreciated.

I was delighted to read that my team were able to accommodate you after a very long flight and early arrival.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

After a trip to the British Museum on a very hot day we escaped the crowds and visited the Montague for some refreshment.
As always the staff are extremely welcoming and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.
The public rooms were quite busy but we found it quiet and peaceful after the bustle of the Museum .We chose a table in the bar and treated ourselves to tea and sandwiches.
We had a choice of teas and although we asked for something a little different than the suggested sandwich fillings it was no bother. They made room for us to eat comfortably and we enjoyed every mouthful .
The Ladies facilities are excellent and none of the queues we had at the museum.
I almost do not want to let this secret place known by too many people in case we cannot get in next time! But praise where praise is due.

1  Thank Hannah168

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent visit to the Montague.

I am absolutely delighted that you had the opportunity to experience an Afternoon Tea with us after your trip to the British Museum. I am thrilled that you were happy with your tea and that you enjoyed the alternative sandwich fillings and choice of teas.

It pleases me to read that our staff were welcoming and friendly and that nothing was too much trouble for them.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

The Montague turned out to be a lovely hotel. Our recent stay was made most pleasant by the friendly, helpful but always professional staff. I would like to specifically mention Lucia and Declan. Both did their jobs expertly, and with great warmth and charm. Costco Travel was quite rIght in assuring us we'd love the Montague.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KrisL350

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review about your recent stay with us.

Here at the Montague, we are very proud of our staff and it is always motivating for them to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly make every effort to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that Lucia and Declan were able to assist you with great warmth and charm. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Lucia and Declan and that their service is duly recognised.

We hope to welcome you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We recently had lunch here at the garden grill. It was exceptional. We were outside enjoying the beautiful sunny weather but comfortably shaded by the awnings on the terrace. The food was exceptional and the service amazing. Our two children (aged 2 and 4) were kept entertained and ate very well! We all had a fantastic afternoon. Highly recommended! Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MT_C2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent visit.

I am delighted that you were happy with your lunch in the Garden Grill and that you felt the food was exceptional and the service was amazing. We like to ensure all of our guests including children have a good time with us and so I am pleased that they enjoyed the entertainment and food.

Thank you for your kind recommendation. I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Montague in the near future.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We just returned from our trip to London and Paris. We stayed at the Montague on the Gardens for 7 nights, went to Paris for 4 nights, and returned to the Montague on the Gardens for our last two nights. We didn't want to leave! It's a beautiful hotel, but what really makes this an exceptional hotel is the staff. Everyone who works there is so nice and so helpful. They all have great attitudes, and you can tell they enjoy working there. I really can't say enough how impressed we were with the hotel. Our first seven nights were in a Classic Double room - a little small but very nice. Our last two nights we had a Classic King room which was a little bigger. We had no complaints with either room. Also, the rooms have air conditioning which was great since we were there in the middle of a heat wave. The hotel also provides facilities for making coffee/tea in the room which is nice. You get a newspaper delivered to your door every morning. And they provide a real hairdryer in the room - not the kind attached to a wall, but the kind you would use at home. It was nice to not have to carry a hair dryer for the trip.

Breakfast was included with the last two nights (it was part of a package that included tickets to the Pompeii exhibit at the British Museum). The breakfast was very good. There were enough choices to please everyone. We enjoyed having afternoon tea one day there as part of the package, also. It was really exceptional!

The location is great, too. It's right across the street from the British Museum and close to Russell Square. It is close to the Russell Square tube station, and it's a short walk to the Tottenham Court Road tube station, so you have options for transportation. There are a lot of restaurants nearby, and a Starbucks right around the corner.

I really can't say it enough - the staff is what really makes this hotel great. I would love to mention them all by name, but I'm afraid I would leave someone out. So I hope they read this review and know that we appreciated all of their efforts! We will definitely stay at the Montague on the Gardens on our next trip to London - which I hope will be next year!

4  Thank Stephanie G

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and were content with both the rooms you stayed in whilst with us. It pleases me to read that you were happy with the amenities in the room including the hairdryer, newspaper and the air conditioning, especially during the recent hot spell. We like to ensure our guests are comfortable when staying with us and so I am delighted that we have met your expectations.

I am also thrilled that you found the breakfast and Afternoon Tea in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro to be exceptional.

We are very proud of our staff at the Montague and it is always wonderful to receive such kind feedback as yours. We constantly aim to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am so happy that you found them to be nice and helpful with great attitudes. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly rewarded.

I am equally delighted that you found the hotel to be beautifully decorated with quirky touches and that the location was ideal for you.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We recently spent 14 nights at this wonderful hotel, on three separate occasions, and experienced three perfect stays!
The hotel is in a great location, on a quiet side street just behind the British Museum,
one-half block from a lovely garden in Great Russell Square. The hotel itself has a
quiet, restful green garden area behind it onto which the Bar, Grill Room restaurant,
tea rooms and many guest rooms face.
The deluxe rooms, while not extremely large, were beautifully decorated and totally comfortable. The lobby, dining room, tea room, grill room and bar were all charming and luxurious.
But the crowning touch of this hostelry is the service.
My wife and I have been traveling the world for over five decades and stayed at many of the finest five star hotels, but never have we experienced service as fine as at this boutique
hotel. Our every need or wish was accommodated with great warmth and efficiency. Each time we returned for another stay we felt as if, and were greeted as if, we were coming home.
We have to express our special thanks to the concierges Mustafa and Jorge, Leticia,the dining room hostess/mgr and João and others of the wonderful staff and apologize for not recalling all of their names. Even the senior management greeted us by name and offered assistance.
The high teas at the Montague are the kind that foreigners dream about and we
so enjoyed the complimentary tea and fruit, biscuits, etc. left for us each day.
To sum up, if you want to experience true London hospitality, you should look no further.

2  Thank Embucado

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit to the Montague.

I am thrilled that you liked the decor in your room and felt it was comfortable and that you thought the public areas were charming and luxurious. I am equally delighted that you had the opportunity to experience Afternoon Tea with us during your trip.

Your kind words that you had never experienced service as you had at the Montague are most appreciated. I am delighted that you found the staff to be helpful with all your needs. We like to ensure that our guests feel comfortable and at home with us and so I am pleased that this was noticed. I am especially delighted that Mustafa, Jorge, Leticia and Joao assisted you during your time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Superlatives are definitely required to describe the Montague! Service is extraordinary, but unobtrusive. The staff genuinely care that guests enjoy their experience--they clearly like their work and they like each other. The hotel's mantra, "no request too large, no detail too small," was clearly evident during our 4-night stay: our room was spotless; we had a welcome message from the manager; service from everyone was impeccable; smiles were genuine; welcomes were warm; breakfast was delicious; the various terraces, lounges, and common areas were relaxing and peaceful; dinner was delicious (we ate there three out of the four nights); the piano player in the bar was excellent. Special thanks go to Tommy who welcomed us; Declan, Andrew, and Peter, who served us in the lounge; Adele and Angel for making breakfast such a great start to the day. We visit London often. This was our first stay at the Montague; from now on, we will never stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: We enjoyed a split-level room on the second floor