“Charming,relaxing hotel with pleasant,friendly staff. A gem !”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,078 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed there in July 2013,my wife and I , our first time .The hotel had a lot of charm and character. The food was very good ,we attended a private party on the Friday evening with over 70 guests in one of the private function rooms and the attentiveness of the staff could not have been bettered. Our bedroom was very comfortable and the wonderful air conditioning throughout the hotel was great over one of those extremely hot July weekends. A very nice experience and we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony B
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your first experience at the Montague. Our staff like to ensure that our guests are comfortable and have everything they may need and so I am delighted that you felt they were attentive. I am equally happy to learn that you thought the food was very good. I will be sure to pass these kind comments on to the team.

It pleases me that you found your room to be comfortable and that you benefited from the air conditioning during such a warm period.

Thank you for your kind words that the Montague had a lot of charm and character and that you wouldn’t hesitate to stay again. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,328)

Reviewed 6 August 2013

The standard double rooms may be a bit small for some, adequate and cozy for others. Remember this is a London Hotel, created over 100 years ago, in an existing centuries-old building. Some reviewers complain about the décor being not to their taste or old fashioned. I feel the point is being somewhat missed. Dispense with such niggles in advance then relax and step into a deliberately-recreated setting of opulent comfort reminiscent of the Bloomsbury Set (and, ok, it's a little "twee". So what?)

The room - junior suite on the first floor facing the road. Quiet enough considering this is a London street. A real fear of my own was that fabric-lined walls which are a few years old and an abundance of soft furnishings are complete dust traps. No amount of photographic representation on websites can give you a true picture. I hate dust and usually go for minimal, clean lines in a hotel room. The rooms at the Montague are kept very clean considering the "stuff" in them and I have no complaint whatsoever about the standard. The only negative thing was the sink in the bathroom was surprisingly tiny, not practical for washing or shaving or brushing your teeth.

The staff - I can see the teams work (and are worked!) extremely hard to be at your service. Some guests love the attention - we don't - but the guys and girls are tuned in, well trained and instinctively know how you wish to be treated. We had an evening train home after we checked out and their aftersales service (!!) was brilliant.

The food and dining spaces - good food, wine, service. Weather was kind enough to take breakfast and dinner out on the garden terrace which was very pleasant. Breakfast was comprehensive but if not comprehensive enough for you, the staff will provide more. The lounges/conservatories are beautiful places to spend time over afternoon tea.

Miscellaneous - wifi worked fine, good quality bedding and towels, hotel slippers useful, plenty clothes hangers, air-conditioning/heating brilliant, door locking simple and easy, tea and coffee making facilities adequate, complimentary mineral water appreciated, bedside lamp bulbs could be a little better to read by, but hey, they are energy saving. Hotel is conscientious about other environmental issues eg towel and bedding changes. You are well informed about this.

I think you should go. Just go!

Room Tip: Booked rooms are allocated on check-in day. Ask Reception about your room and see what your options...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine B

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit to the Montague.

I was sorry to read that you felt the fabrics in your room were dusty; each room gets serviced every day however I will speak to my Executive Housekeeper to ensure that this is carried out specifically. I was also sorry that you felt the sink was too small in the bathroom.

We are indeed an older style Georgian townhouse property and we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. We do our best to ensure that all of our guests are comfortable and allocated a room that suits their needs. I am happy that you felt the ambience fitted with the local area.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with the amenities in your room and noticed that we do various things to ensure that we are a green hotel and do what we can to help the environment. I was equally delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy breakfast on the Terrace and found it to be pleasant.

Our staff take great pride in all they do to ensure that every guest has a memorable and comfortable stay with us. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stayed in mid June 2013. Don't really have anything much negative to say about this hotel. The corridors are sort of claustrophobic and fusty, but that's how the building is. Apart from that, the service here is excellent, and well beyond the standards for a four star hotel. The rooms are small, as most hotel rooms in London are, but the room we stayed in was very clean and very nice. From impressions I would venture a guess that each room is decorated a but differently here. Great location just next to British Museum. We walked everywhere we needed to go during our stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Saltcreep

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation. You are right in that each of our rooms are decorated differently, which means our guests can have a different theme for each visit.

I am delighted that you found your room to be clean and nice. I am also thrilled that you found the service to be excellent and your kind comment that it was ‘well beyond the standards of a four star hotel’ provides great motivation for my staff.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

Fantastic hotel! Best showers ever, superb service, exceptionally clean rooms - wow. The rooms are lovely and well appointed, the food is excellent, and the service is universally helpful while being discrete. Our best stay in London after years of trying other places.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the hotel.

I was thrilled to read that your time with the Montague was the best you had experienced in London.

I am delighted that you felt the shower in your room was also the best and that your room was exceptionally clean. We like to ensure that our guests are comfortable so I am delighted that we have met your expectations.

Your kind comments that the food is excellent and the service was helpful yet discreet are most appreciated and I will be sure to pass these lovely words on to the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed one night at the hotel, primarily because it is directly across the street from the British Museum, our primary destination for this visit, and close to the Heathrow-Piccadilly metro line (Russell Square station). The hotel staff was professional, friendly, and extremely attentive to all of our needs. The hotel lobby, restaurant, and lounge were well appointed and inviting. Our room and bathroom were clean (and thankfully the bathroom had a tub/shower combo). Indeed we could find no fault with the hotel except for the size of the room, which was tiny. even by London standards. The room, exempting the equally tiny entrance way, could not have measured more than 8’ x 9.5’. With a queen size bed (6’x8’), desk, armchair, and round table, it was a difficult fit for two people and two suitcases. My experience in London though, is that you are paying for location, location, location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Madison101

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit to the Montague.

I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

However I was pleased to read you found the bedroom and bathroom to be clean and you were happy with the bath tub/shower suite. I am equally delighted that you felt the lobby, restaurant and lounge areas to be well appointed and inviting.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am delighted that they were professional, friendly and attentive to your needs during your stay. I shall ensure that all of your kind feedback and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The service here is faultless, and we've received warm welcomes each time we've visited. The faultless service ranges from reception to the bar and restaurant staff. It's impossible to get wet walking to a cab from the entrance with staff holding umbrellas over you all the way. Felt like royalty!

Rooms are a little on the small size but uniquely decorated and lack nothing. The corridors are a little labyrinthian but the building is over 200 years old!

You are in no doubt that you're living in a regency hotel at any time, as the decor is perfect.
There's a variety of places to sit and drink and eat, some inside, some in conservatories and terraces and some outside in the gardens with multi level decking. Breakfasts are most excellent.
All in all a most highly recommended place to stay in London, wherever you are visiting.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank turgonuk

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

Our staff really like to ensure that our guests are comfortable and have an amazing visit and so I am delighted that you felt like royalty and enjoyed your time with us.

We are indeed an older style Georgian townhouse property and have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation and public areas. I am pleased that you found the decor to be perfect and that the rooms lacked nothing.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed our public areas and that you felt breakfast in our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro to be excellent. I will be sure to pass this kind feedback on.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed here for almost a week, for work and a congress. I liked this property, and felt it is not outrageously priced for its location and what it offers.

The property is spotless, with a very nice reception and public area. Check-in is efficient and friendly - I couldn't see how someone cold take issue with employees not being native Brits. This is London after all, one of the world's capitals.

The rooms are tiny, but really you're not in London to sit around your hotel room. You've got everything you need there: a good bed, TV, a functioning bathroom and WiFi.

Location is excellent: I was able to walk almost everywhere - if necessary, Holborn tube station is a 5' walk.

I'll definitely look for this hotel again next time I go to London.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SAmTrax

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent stay with us.

It pleases me to read that you felt the hotel was spotless and that the public areas were very nice. I am also thrilled that your check in was an efficient and friendly experience.

I am delighted that you thought the bed was good and that you were happy with the amenities in your room including the TV, bathroom and Wi-Fi.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.