“Excellent Hotel for a Business Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Maynard, Massachusetts
“Excellent Hotel for a Business Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed at The Montague for a week long business visit and was very pleased. The location is great, as it was a short walk to my offices, but also a short walk to the underground, a quick cab to Camden, and across the street from the British Museum. Upon arriving I was greeted by name (and every time I returned from the office). My early arrival from the US meant my room was not immediately available. The staff set me up with a nice light breakfast and some tea while final preparations were made. I was in the room shortly and appreciated the personalized feel. As others have mentioned, the room sizes are a bit tight, but I do feel this is to be expected at a hotel of this age. I would recommend requesting rooms off the ground level however, as my garden view was not enjoyed in lieu of closed blinds and privacy.
The overall feel was one of excellent service and English hospitality. A classic feel with little use for trends or fads. When coming home exhausted from a long day settling into the lounge for a quick dinner and drink hit the spot perfectly. Be sure to try the breakfast, as it was definitely a great start to each day. While I may seek a more modern experience if traveling for pleasure, I have regular business in London and will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Give preference to rooms off the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank petezigs
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay at the Montague and that the staff were able to assist you when your room was not quite ready. We like to ensure our guests are comfortable and so I am happy that you enjoyed breakfast whilst the finishing touches were being made to your room.

We like to offer our guests an area where they can relax after a long day of business or sight seeing and so I am thrilled that you had the opportunity to enjoy dinner in the lounge.

Your kind comment that service is excellent is most appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (729)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed recently on their Bloomsbury Weekend deal, two nights with afternoon tea, 6pm late checkout, champagnes and other goodies thrown in. First rate service, nothing was too much trouble, well appointed room, fine breakfast.

Two key features:

1. It's quiet - off a quiet side street from Russell square backing into to private gardens - so a nice peaceful nights sleep. Also, it's not a massive hotel, so none of the bustle of vast hotels, nice and intimate when sat in their compact gentlemens club style bar, complete with jazz singer and fine range of cigars and whiskies. The outdoor terrace and conservatories are ideal book reading territory.

2. The food - is very good, their in house restaurant is rated number one locally on trip advisor. More importantly they do a fab afternoon tea in their peaceful garden conservatory overlooking the rear gardens, recommended and surprisingly filling.

Room Tip: Get one looking over the gardens for a super quiet night. The split level rooms are very nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dominatronix
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I was thrilled to read that you had a pleasant ‘Bloomsbury Weekend’ with us.

I was delighted that you had the opportunity to spend time in our Terrace Bar, Cigar Terrace and Conservatory. Your kind words that these public areas are nice and intimate are most appreciated. I am equally pleased that you enjoyed a peaceful night’s sleep.

Your positive feedback that the Blue Door Restaurant is very good and our afternoon tea is ‘fab’ is a great motivator for the team, I will be sure to pass this on to the Kitchen and Restaurant staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Montana, Valais, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

This well situated hotel has a great disign and the service is amazing. The staff is very helpfull and polite. Rooms are well design and all different with lot of Charm.
A true Victorian heritage! You are almost walking disctance from the King's cross train station and the metro stop next to the hotel (Russel Square) is well situated

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent stay with us.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind feedback as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always wonderful to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am delighted that you felt the staff were helpful, polite and that the service was amazing. I shall ensure that all of your kind words and praise are passed on to the team.

Your kind comments that the rooms are well designed are also most appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back to the Montague soon.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my recent stay at the Montague. The hotel itself was lovely and clean! The location was great. Our room lived up to my expectations of what a luxury boutique hotel should be. Every staff member was welcoming to my ten year old daughter and myself. The decor was a mix of old world charm with modern convenience. My daughter and I loved being able to have breakfast in the bright conservatory or the patio where they were happy to turn on heaters for us. Every morning there was fresh coffee in the lobby (and paper cups) so you could help yourself to a cup right away or take one for the road if you wanted.

A few days later we stayed at the Milestone which is another Red Carnation hotel and while it was also nice it was much more expensive with amenities of which I had no need (valet service, rolls royce to the airport) so I would choose the Montague over the Milestone next time. Our room at the Montague was actually much nicer (it really was on the garden) whereas our room at the Milestone was right beside the service elevator which ran all night!. For almost twice the price the Milestone, for me, wasn't quite as wonderful as the Montague.

Room Tip: Our room was called 'Queens' and had two twin beds which the hotel made up separately for us...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianalynne
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent visit.

I was absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us. As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we offer and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations, and made your stay with your daughter a memorable one.

Our staff like to ensure that all of our guests whether adults or children have a great stay with us.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your breakfast on the Terrace and Conservatory.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Montague or one of our sister hotels in the near future.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had a brief overnight stay at this hotel. Easy to get to by taxi, quick and efficient service on arrival and plush/quirky decor that stays well away from the boring "boutique hotel" look. Not a single thing to complain about. Will be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you haven’t a ‘single thing to complain about’.

We like to ensure that all guests whether they are staying for a short or long period experience quick and efficient service. I am thrilled that these efforts were noticed.

Your kind words about the decor are most appreciated. I am equally pleased that the location was ideal for your visit to London.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Galashiels, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I planned a trip to London for my wife Gail and our two kids and after a bit research 'The Montague on the Gardens' was the hotel that we opted for. We were not disappointed in the slightest. We were given 'The Guvnor's Suite' which was outstanding accommodation. Dirk and the team went out of the way to make this special trip, unforgettable! A special mention for Charlotte for arranging a 'cookie cookery class' for the kids. Amazing accommodation, friendly, cheery staff, delicious food, knowledgeable waiter's.
We have stayed in many hotels over the year's and this hotel is, without doubt, the best experience we have had,
Not only will we definitely be back, I/we will be recommending 'the montague' to anyone heading to London

Room Tip: Guvnor Suite
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations, and made this 40th birthday trip with the family an occasion to remember.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests and we like to ensure that children feel just as welcome. I am thrilled that Charlotte organised a cookie decorating class with them. I am equally pleased that you found the team to friendly and cheery. Your kind words that the food was delicious and the waiters were knowledgeable are most appreciated.

I will pass your wonderful comments to the team and will ensure that their service is duly rewarded.

Thank you for your positive recommendation, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Eastern PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We just loved this hotel. It is a boutique hotel that really caters to its guests. The hotel is beautiful, the staff was friendly and helpful. The location was very convenient, only a five minute walk to the Underground. Our room was so quiet,I t was hard to believe we were in a big city. The only reasons I didn't give this hotel five stars, are that there was really no place to put clothing, the room was that small and the wifi was spotty.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit.

I was very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you and that you had no place to unpack your clothes. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer more wardrobe space when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.
With regards to the Wi-Fi I have asked the IT department to look into this and ensure that there are no issues with the system.

However, I was pleased to read that you found your room to be quiet and the hotel to be beautiful.

Your kind words that the staff were friendly and helpful are equally most appreciated.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.