“Quiet hotel, great staff”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #12 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Plymouth, MA
“Quiet hotel, great staff”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I arrived in London on September 3rd. Took the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then the #7 bus to Montague Street. The bus left me off right across the street from the hotel. Very convenient! I was able to check in early to room #302 on the 3rd floor. My room faced the street, but I was never bothered by any street noise during my stay. My room had beatiful fabric wall covering, like nothing I'd ever seen before. The bathroom was quite nice. My room was equipped with a hairdryer, iron, ironing board and a safe. The hotel staff were wonderful, very helpful with directions or ideas of what I could do. Full breakfast was included with my room rate, no complaints whatsoever. It was delicious and had almost anything you could think of. I picked this location because of the proximity to The British Museum. I was within walkng distance of the Tottenham Court Road or Holborn tube stations. Plenty of restaurants to choose from along Kingsway, a short walk.

Went to Sir John Soane's Museum (stuffed to the brim with interesting things), got a meringue from Bea's of Bloomsbury (excellent!) and of course, spent hours at the British Museum.

I'd definintely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time at the Montague and you liked the decor in your room. I am equally pleased that you were happy with all the amenities provided including the hairdryer, iron and safe and that you experienced a peaceful night.

I will be sure to pass on your lovely feedback that the staff were wonderful, helpful and assisted you with ideas of what to do. Your comments will be most appreciated.

I am thrilled that you were happy with the breakfast, finding it to be delicious and of a good variety.

Thank you for your positive recommendation, I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (755)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed here on business and it was good for a functional, clean and quiet place to lay my head. Decently priced but small rooms, even by european standards. Only stayed one night - overall comfortable, average service and amenities, friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay with us.

I was sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this may have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique.

However I am pleased to read that you found the room allocated to be comfortable and a quiet place. Your kind feedback that the staff were friendly is most appreciated.

I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at the Montague on the Gardens this past week for three nights. From arrival on the staff couldn't have been friendlier and more attentive. The room, albeit quite small was delightful and so quaint, yet had all the modern amenities we needed. I would definitely stay here again and would love to see the other rooms as I understand they are all different!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit to the Montague.

I am pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us and you were happy with the amenities provided in the room.

Your kind comments that the staff couldn’t have been friendlier or more attentive are wonderful to read as they provide great motivation for the team.

Each of our rooms are unique and so I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon to experience a different one.

Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We recently had a good sized group at the Montague on the Gardens hotel in London. As tour operators, the Montague is our first choice for hotel in London. As usual, the service was superb, from the sales department to the front desk to the catering staff.
The location can't be beat and staff is wonderful. Can't say enough good things about the Montague and we've been bringing groups to the hotel for over 12 years!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review following your visit to the hotel.

As regular and much valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations.

I am absolutely thrilled that the service was superb from all departments, I will be sure to pass this feedback on to the staff who will be most grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Bucharest
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I was at this hotel this summer for a business trip and everything was marvelous.
From the consierge that was extremly nice and willing to help to the superb rooms. The room was not too big but it was enough to accomodate me and it had really nice interior, it made me feel really welcomed.
Another thing is the fact that the hotel is really in the center of London and you can easily walk to the Oxford Street (if you are interested in shopping) or to the British Museum if you are more of an art person.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent visit.

At the Montague we like to ensure that everyone has a comfortable stay with us whether they are travelling for business or leisure and I am delighted that that these efforts were noticed.

I was delighted to read that you found the Concierge to be extremely nice and willing to help. I am equally pleased that you felt welcome; I will be sure to pass this kind feedback on.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Manhattan Beach, California, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I spent a weekend in London and I stayed at this hotel from October 4-6, 2013. I chose this hotel solely based on Tripadvisor reviews. I was not disappointed. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room, although a little small for a King room, was very well appointed and very clean. breakfast was very good, and the location very close to major sights; including the British Museum which is just around the corner. I had a late dinner, a club sandwich, in the bar on Saturday night and it was delicious. My room (Room 20) faced the garden and was extremely quiet even with the window open. I highly recommend this hotel and will stay there the next time I'm in London.

Room Tip: My room faced the garden and I recommend getting a garden-facing room.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback following your recent visit.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and was not disappointed. I am pleased that the staff were friendly and helpful.

At the Montague on the Gardens we pride ourselves in excellent customer service and quality of food, so I am thrilled that you found breakfast to be very good and that you were happy with your sandwich served in the bar.

I am equally happy that you had an undisturbed and quiet night.

Thank you for your kind recommendation. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Maynard, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed at The Montague for a week long business visit and was very pleased. The location is great, as it was a short walk to my offices, but also a short walk to the underground, a quick cab to Camden, and across the street from the British Museum. Upon arriving I was greeted by name (and every time I returned from the office). My early arrival from the US meant my room was not immediately available. The staff set me up with a nice light breakfast and some tea while final preparations were made. I was in the room shortly and appreciated the personalized feel. As others have mentioned, the room sizes are a bit tight, but I do feel this is to be expected at a hotel of this age. I would recommend requesting rooms off the ground level however, as my garden view was not enjoyed in lieu of closed blinds and privacy.
The overall feel was one of excellent service and English hospitality. A classic feel with little use for trends or fads. When coming home exhausted from a long day settling into the lounge for a quick dinner and drink hit the spot perfectly. Be sure to try the breakfast, as it was definitely a great start to each day. While I may seek a more modern experience if traveling for pleasure, I have regular business in London and will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Give preference to rooms off the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay at the Montague and that the staff were able to assist you when your room was not quite ready. We like to ensure our guests are comfortable and so I am happy that you enjoyed breakfast whilst the finishing touches were being made to your room.

We like to offer our guests an area where they can relax after a long day of business or sight seeing and so I am thrilled that you had the opportunity to enjoy dinner in the lounge.

Your kind comment that service is excellent is most appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.