The Montague on The Gardens
US$322
US$256
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$215
US$170
CrownePlaza.com
US$210
  • Restaurant
London House Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
US$116
Hotels.com
US$200
US$166
4,454 results
All reviewsbritish museumblue door bistroafternoon tealeopard barrussell squarered carnationcharming hotelquiet streetbirthday cardcovent gardenthe general managerconcierge staffturn down servicelittle toucheswest endjunior suiterooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We just returned from a three night stay at this hotel and were thrilled with our choice of this hotel.
It is literally located across from The British Museum in a more quiet part of London (Bloomsbury/Holburn), but it is still within walking distance of the fun. We did cab a fair amount, however. The moment you walk up the steps into the lobby of this boutique hotel you feel enveloped in a cozy atmosphere and warm, friendly service. The hotel is decorated in gorgeous fabrics that cover ceilings, walls, chairs and sofas. Antique furniture adds to the homey yet polished atmosphere of the sitting area off of the lobby and public spaces. The king bed room was elegantly decorated in stripes and animal print neutrals with multiple dimmer switch lighting that was very romantic. The room is quite small (by American standards), but not in a way that made it unworkable for us. The only negative was that I found the bedding to be not as luxurious and comfortable as everything else. All in all- cozy, romantic and charming. The bath had a tub/shower and reasonable counter space. I love hotels that have lighted makeup mirrors! There was a restaurant (we did not use) and a great little bar that had a singer/piano music in the evening. An outside terrace and conservatory/garden dining area were also available. The two things that made our stay so wonderful were the flawless, friendly service and the extra luxurious touches that were everywhere. Great stay!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your visit to the Montague.

I was very sorry to read that you felt our bed linen was not in keeping with the same level of luxury throughout the hotel. We purchase high quality linen and have it laundered from a very reputable company, however I will share your feedback with the Executive Housekeeper for her to monitor on a regular basis.

However, I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your short stay with us and found the atmosphere to be charming, warm and cozy. I am equally pleased that you thought the decor throughout the hotel and in your room was elegant with romantic lighting.

Your kind comments that the service was friendly and flawless is lovely to read; I will ensure this is shared with the staff who will be most appreciative.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great atmosphere, just what you'd expect from a small, cozy traditional English Hotel (in the Center of London). Love the atmosphere in the lobby, the sofas and chairs which make you want to stop for a cup of tea or coffee. Stopped in the bar for a pint each evening, appreciated the quiet atmosphere and polite but reserved service. Singing piano man on Friday evening, too bad we arrived almost at the end of his set, he had a lovely voice. Rooms are small, bed soft but surprisingly comfortable. New "rainforest" showers were quite a surprise!

Perhaps the crowning glory of this hotel is how quiet it was - had a room facing the rather large back Yard, and was able to sleep with the window open - absolutely no noise! Truly rare in Central London, where noise is a common problem.

Add the very friendly staff (forgot to remove the do not disturb sign when I left in the morning - so of course room wasn't made when I returned in the evening. (Appreciated that they respected the sign and didn't just come in anyway). I asked reception if it was too late, and they said they'd send housekeeping. Room was perfect when I returned from dinner. Thanks!

Room Tip: Rooms facing back yard are very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent visit.

I am thrilled that you loved the atmosphere in our quintessential, English hotel. We like to ensure that our guests feel comfortable and at home and so I am delighted that you enjoyed the public areas including the lounge area and bar.

I am pleased that you found your bed to be comfortable, that you enjoyed the rain shower and that you experienced a peaceful night’s sleep.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind feedback. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. We like to respect our guests’ requests, so I am delighted that the housekeeping team did not enter your room when ‘Do Not Disturb’ was displayed but they were able to assist you when you returned.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago for three nights, as part of a tour. The service was excellent, and the staff were knowledgeable, extremely helpful, and efficient. The twin bed in my shared room was quite comfortable, and it was very quiet at night, even though our room was street side and street level. Breakfast and lunch and a special dinner were very good, although the coffee was not to my liking. It was an excellent location next to the British Museum. The concierge was outstanding, and all front staff were friendly, polite, and always ready with a smile. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback following your recent visit.

I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us here at the Montague. I am happy that you found your room to be comfortable and enjoyed a peaceful night.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always lovely to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to go beyond our guest’s expectations of service and it is always gratifying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they were knowledgeable, extremely helpful and efficient, especially our Concierge and Front Desk staff. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

I am equally thrilled that you found your breakfast, lunch and dinner in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro to be good, although I was sorry that the coffee was not to your liking.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our four nights at the The Montague. As the other reviews note, it is a snug fit and an older property but the terrific location, renovations and the very attentive service were offsets to these negatives. It feels a bit like staying on a cruise ship! The staff was "over the top" on friendliness and perhaps this is off putting to some guests. Candidly, they could tone it down a bit, especially the gesture at the end of our stay where the concierge handed us a card asking us to write a positive review on Trip Advisor. That was a first.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Visit-upstate-NY
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit to the Montague.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your short stay with us.

Your comments regarding our team are most appreciated; we invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care to ensure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our efforts worthwhile.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Whenever we come to London, for a show or shopping, we always stay at the Montague on the Gardens. We are never disappointed. The welcome and service you receive from every single member of staff makes this a lovely place to stay. The staff training is obviously impeccable as they all have a professional yet genuinely friendly attitude without the obsequiousness you often get in big fancy hotels. The rooms are so comfortable and beautifully furnished/decorated with generous tea and coffee supplies and mineral water. Freshly made canapés and a tray of fresh fruit was delivered just before dinner time and when our bed was turned down, chocolates and home made biscuits were left for us - a lovely touch! The bathroom was large and immaculately clean with lots of luxury toiletries by Fragonard. Full English breakfast was included in our rate and is served in the cosy restaurant. There was an excellent selection of hot and cold dishes and eggs are cooked to order. We were really impressed by the friendly welcome from the restaurant staff who clearly remembered everyone who had eaten there before, greeting them all by name and even remembering where they had sat last time! Thank you for another perfect stay - we can't wait for next time!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review following your visit to the hotel.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to develop the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations, and made your stay with us an occasion to remember.
I am thrilled that you enjoyed the room allocated to you and was happy with the amenities provided including the tea/coffee, large bathroom and the toiletries.

Your kind comments that the service provided is welcoming and that the staff were professional yet friendly are most appreciated. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the wide variety of breakfast options in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.