“A very special stay”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed at The Montague the night before and the night of my wedding and the fantastic service and welcome I received from the hotel staff helped make it the most wonderful weekend.

My bridesmaid and I were upgraded to a suite from a Deluxe King on the first night of our stay and had a really relaxing evening and excellent sleep. There were so many lovely touches, including complimentary canapés, water, champagne and shortbread, which made us feel truly special (I have stayed at 5star hotels before and have never had such good service).

The hotel were happy to let us stay in our room until 2pm and let our beautician (and my sisters who were staying at The Beauchamp over the road) come up to the room. They then moved all of our bags into our new rooms for us.

The suite my husband and I stayed in on the night of our wedding was absolutely beautiful and again the little touches - a signed card from staff, dessert and the candles and flowers - were beautiful.

A truly fantastic hotel. Highly recommended. I have already told my husband I want to come back for our first anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review about your recent visit.

Congratulations to you and your husband on your recent wedding, I am delighted that you chose to spend the night before as well as the night of your special day with us here at the Montague.

Your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations, and made your stay with us an occasion to remember. I am pleased that you enjoyed a peaceful and relaxing sleep ahead of your special day.

Our staff take genuine interest in our guests and they like to make sure that they have everything they may need or want during their visit to the hotel. I am thrilled that they organised a late check out, allowing you to get ready and moved your bags to the room you shared with your husband.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your first anniversary!

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I made a booking here at short notice. The hotel was familiar to me from previous visits but I had not stayed there. The staff are very anxious to please almost too much so. Upon arrival I was given a brief tour and then shown my room. I have to say it was small inspite of the use of mirrors and the view consisted of a brick wall. I indicated I would like to see another room more in keeping with the brochure. This was on the front with a street view. The decor was ok though all in beige and the bathroom small. I am not sure why I was initially given what must have been the worst room in the hotel. I had travelled thousands of miles to attend a family funeral and the "classic king" room I had booked was vastly different from the reality. If you are staying for five nights you deserve better. Otherwise I have no other issues. Excellent afternoon tea.

Room Tip: do not always accept what they give you. you have a choice.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Ken L

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit.

I am sorry to read of your recent loss and that your visit to London on this occasion was for unfortunate circumstances.

I am equally very sorry that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. I am sorry to hear that this particular room was not to your taste.

However I am pleased that the staff were able to assist you with accommodating you in a more comfortable room.

Your kind feedback that the Afternoon Tea is excellent is most appreciated and I will be sure to pass this feedback on to the Kitchen and Restaurant teams.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We enjoyed a lovely dinner as the culmination of a trip to introduce our extended family to England. The setting was lovely, the food very good, and the ambiance cozy, and elegantly English. We are there after a wonderful review of history at the British Museum, which is adjacent to the hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Dorothy A

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent visit to the Montague.

I am absolutely delighted that you enjoyed a lovely dinner in our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro. We like to ensure that our guests feel comfortable and welcome from the moment they arrive. I am thrilled that you found the ambience to be cozy and elegantly English. We are a small, traditionally English boutique hotel and so it is wonderful to know that we met your expectations.

Your kind feedback that the food was lovely is extremely appreciated and I will be sure to pass this on to the Kitchen team who will be most grateful.

I hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for only one night at the end of a month in UK and France. Will make it our first stop next time. The staff are exceptional at this hotel. It is well worth paying the extra 30 pounds or so to experience true hospitality. We enjoyed drinks in the bar, dinner and breakfast in the Blue Door restaurant. The room was well appointed and spotless and although on the front of the building on the ground floor there was no outside noise. The hotel is located at the back of the British Museum so a good place to spend some time on last day in UK. It is an easy walk to Oxford Street.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Libby040

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations, and made your stay with us an occasion to remember. I am pleased that you will make the Montague your first stop when visiting London next.

I am happy that you experienced a quiet night’s sleep with no outside noise disturbing you. I am equally delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy drinks and food in the Terrace Bar and Blue Door Bistro.

I am thrilled that you felt the staff to be exceptional. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We just returned from a three night stay at this hotel and were thrilled with our choice of this hotel.
It is literally located across from The British Museum in a more quiet part of London (Bloomsbury/Holburn), but it is still within walking distance of the fun. We did cab a fair amount, however. The moment you walk up the steps into the lobby of this boutique hotel you feel enveloped in a cozy atmosphere and warm, friendly service. The hotel is decorated in gorgeous fabrics that cover ceilings, walls, chairs and sofas. Antique furniture adds to the homey yet polished atmosphere of the sitting area off of the lobby and public spaces. The king bed room was elegantly decorated in stripes and animal print neutrals with multiple dimmer switch lighting that was very romantic. The room is quite small (by American standards), but not in a way that made it unworkable for us. The only negative was that I found the bedding to be not as luxurious and comfortable as everything else. All in all- cozy, romantic and charming. The bath had a tub/shower and reasonable counter space. I love hotels that have lighted makeup mirrors! There was a restaurant (we did not use) and a great little bar that had a singer/piano music in the evening. An outside terrace and conservatory/garden dining area were also available. The two things that made our stay so wonderful were the flawless, friendly service and the extra luxurious touches that were everywhere. Great stay!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your visit to the Montague.

I was very sorry to read that you felt our bed linen was not in keeping with the same level of luxury throughout the hotel. We purchase high quality linen and have it laundered from a very reputable company, however I will share your feedback with the Executive Housekeeper for her to monitor on a regular basis.

However, I was thrilled to read that you enjoyed your short stay with us and found the atmosphere to be charming, warm and cozy. I am equally pleased that you thought the decor throughout the hotel and in your room was elegant with romantic lighting.

Your kind comments that the service was friendly and flawless is lovely to read; I will ensure this is shared with the staff who will be most appreciative.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great atmosphere, just what you'd expect from a small, cozy traditional English Hotel (in the Center of London). Love the atmosphere in the lobby, the sofas and chairs which make you want to stop for a cup of tea or coffee. Stopped in the bar for a pint each evening, appreciated the quiet atmosphere and polite but reserved service. Singing piano man on Friday evening, too bad we arrived almost at the end of his set, he had a lovely voice. Rooms are small, bed soft but surprisingly comfortable. New "rainforest" showers were quite a surprise!

Perhaps the crowning glory of this hotel is how quiet it was - had a room facing the rather large back Yard, and was able to sleep with the window open - absolutely no noise! Truly rare in Central London, where noise is a common problem.

Add the very friendly staff (forgot to remove the do not disturb sign when I left in the morning - so of course room wasn't made when I returned in the evening. (Appreciated that they respected the sign and didn't just come in anyway). I asked reception if it was too late, and they said they'd send housekeeping. Room was perfect when I returned from dinner. Thanks!

Room Tip: Rooms facing back yard are very quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent visit.

I am thrilled that you loved the atmosphere in our quintessential, English hotel. We like to ensure that our guests feel comfortable and at home and so I am delighted that you enjoyed the public areas including the lounge area and bar.

I am pleased that you found your bed to be comfortable, that you enjoyed the rain shower and that you experienced a peaceful night’s sleep.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind feedback. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. We like to respect our guests’ requests, so I am delighted that the housekeeping team did not enter your room when ‘Do Not Disturb’ was displayed but they were able to assist you when you returned.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago for three nights, as part of a tour. The service was excellent, and the staff were knowledgeable, extremely helpful, and efficient. The twin bed in my shared room was quite comfortable, and it was very quiet at night, even though our room was street side and street level. Breakfast and lunch and a special dinner were very good, although the coffee was not to my liking. It was an excellent location next to the British Museum. The concierge was outstanding, and all front staff were friendly, polite, and always ready with a smile. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback following your recent visit.

I was delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us here at the Montague. I am happy that you found your room to be comfortable and enjoyed a peaceful night.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always lovely to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to go beyond our guest’s expectations of service and it is always gratifying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they were knowledgeable, extremely helpful and efficient, especially our Concierge and Front Desk staff. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

I am equally thrilled that you found your breakfast, lunch and dinner in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro to be good, although I was sorry that the coffee was not to your liking.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again in the near future.