“Excellent hotel in central London” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent hotel in central London”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed at the Montague for a week in November and liked it very much. It's the rare hotel that lives up to its high reviews. I had actually stayed here for a week 15 years ago, and had very fond (if hazy) memories of this hotel from that time. The hotel was just as lovely, clean, convenient, and helpful as I remembered, which is really saying something. I get the feeling it will continue to have stellar services in 15 more years as well.

I stayed in a single room, and even though single rooms are naturally very small in any hotel, I was actually pleasantly surprised with the space and thoughtful setup. The only thing I might suggest are hooks on the wall for coats or bags, as table and chair space was limited.

Breakfast was very good. The dining room managers and servers were pleasant, friendly, and capable. They had my name down by the second morning, and always greeted me even if I wasn't in the dining room. Getting extra coffee or toast was no problem. I noticed they did this for all guests, recalling names and previous conversations. I was really impressed with that level of service.

One thing to note is that they do offer some complimentary morning amenities such as coffee, fruit (apples, bananas, grapes), mini muffins, and granola bars. Really quite enough for those that don't want a giant breakfast. This was not in any of the room literature or mentioned to me at check-in. The table was discreet enough that it took several mornings and an overhead conversation for me to realize I could help myself. Similarly, they seemed to have a cozy hot chocolate setup in the afternoons, but again I was unsure if this was complimentary or some type of paid deal.

Two odd thing that happened were: 1) I had set my room to Do Not Disturb around 7 PM but at 8 PM the front desk called my room and wanted to confirm that I did not want turndown service that night. It was very disruptive to my evening. You might give a verbal confirmation ahead of time if you are sleeping at odd hours. And 2) on my first day in the room they tried to deliver "complimentary welcome amenities" but left a card to call Housekeeping for them since I had set my room to Do Not Disturb while I showered. Three times I called housekeeping and referenced this card, but nothing happened, they seemed very unsure what I was talking about. But every day they would also move the card to a prominent new position on my bed or desk, as though urging me to call about it. When I asked about it at check out they said it was just free biscuits and offered a chocolate bar instead. That was fine but just strange. But those are minor quibbles.

If you are in London and want to see a lot of the British Museum like I did, you really can't pick a better hotel. It's a decadent feeling to be able to walk around the corner to (what I think is) the greatest museum in the world. I would definitely stay here again, and recommend it wholeheartedly to others.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank LauraLatte
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent visit.

I would like to apologise that no one informed you about the complimentary grab and go style breakfast and hot chocolate in the afternoon offering we provide. I will ask that my staff share this information with our guests in future.

With regards to the room service, I am sorry for any inconvenience this caused you. During the afternoon we attempt to deliver any complimentary amenities. During this time we also endeavor to service our guests’ rooms. When the Do Not Disturb sign is on we deliver a card for each service. They are very similar but do have different information on. I am disappointed that my team were unsure of what you were asking about when you called them. I will ensure that the various departments undergo re-training about what we offer our guests. I would also like to apologise that on this occasion, with your DND displayed that your evening was disrupted by a call from the front desk.

However, I am pleased that this did not detract too much from your stay with us and you found the hotel to be lovely, clean and convenient. I have noted your comment about extra hooks for coats and bags and will share this with my Rooms Division Manager.

Your kind words that the staff were pleasant, friendly and capable are most appreciated. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

Thank you also for your kind recommendation. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Worcestershire England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

My wife and I have been staying at the Montague once or twice a year for ten, or is it twelve years? The reason for this is that each time we stay there we feel as though we have been thoroughly spoilt by all the staff who, if possible seem to get better each time we return. This starts as soon as we enter the hotel with the concierges and the reception staff and continues with the restaurant and bar staff and even the chamber maids are wonderful.
It is difficult to find many new things to say about this jewel of a hotel which haven't already been said by others but I must say that on this occasion we took our dog with us (it is a dog friendly hotel) and our opinion of this wonderful place is shared by him! He had the same level of service as his human owners and loved it!
All I can say to everyone at the Montague is, yet again, a very big thank you!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore thrilled that we have once again met your expectations, and made your return stay an occasion to remember.

At the Montague, we welcome all guests, whether human or pets. We like to ensure that everyone has a comfortable stay and I am delighted that this was recognised.

As you will know, we are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am happy that they made you feel thoroughly spoilt during your time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We had a genuinely warm welcome on arrival, including a quick tour of the hotel. The room was excellent and we had a good night's sleep thanks to the very comfortable bed and quiet surroundings.
Superb food and very pleasant staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I am pleased that you had a delightful stay with us and experienced a good night’s sleep due to the comfortable mattress and quiet surroundings.

Your kind words that the staff were very pleasant and the food in the Blue Door Bistro was superb are so lovely to read. I will be sure to pass this lovely feedback to the team who will be most appreciative.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

A perfect few days away at the Montague - room was well equipped and comfortable, afternoon tea and breakfast were lovely. The staff were so helpful and informative at all times. We met other guests who use it as their regular stopover in London and all were as enthusiastic about the hotel and all of the staff as we are. Obviously, our experience is the norm! We loved it and will definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the hotel.

I was delighted that your stay at the Montague was perfect! Our staff take genuine interest in our guests to ensure that their stay is comfortable and memorable and so I am pleased that their efforts of being helpful and informative were noticed.

I am equally thrilled that you had the opportunity to experience our Afternoon Tea and found that as well as the breakfast The Blue Door Bistro to be lovely.

We are delighted that you will definitely be returning and look forward to welcoming you then.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

I booked this hotel without knowing much about it, and what a nice surprise. It's not common to find such a service-oriented hotel in London nowadays, especially not during the Holiday season, but The Montague delivered that and much more.

From the moment I checked in, Vanesa took me on a tour to look at the available rooms, each uniquely decorated, while explaining to me all the amenities of the hotel. Also, I was very impressed that every time I'd go out, at least two staff members would approach me to see if I needed assistance.

I really recommend this hotel due to its great customer service, room decor, and location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ramosri
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that, as a last minute booking, the Montague was a nice surprise and you enjoyed your time with us.

Our staff like to ensure that our guests have a comfortable stay and they will do all they can to provide this. I am happy that Vanesa made you feel welcome and explained the amenities available whilst giving you a tour of the hotel.

We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Vanesa and the team.

Your kind recommendation is most appreciated. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I'm a bit disappointed with this hotel because there wasn't minibar in my room (standard room).
Also they put me in a small room and the minuscule "fitness room" is not great. Probably it is a good choice if you want to pay for superior rooms but it is not a great choice if you don't want to pay too much.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank JohnEsc
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit.

I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the lack of mini bar in your room. We currently only provide a mini bar service in our Deluxe Rooms and Suites however, there is a 24 hour room service to all of our guest rooms. We would be more than happy to arrange for a minibar to be placed in your room, subject to availability. Please do let us know when making your booking that this is a preference and we will do our best to assist you.

I have also noted your comments with regards to the size of our fitness suite and I would like to thank you for this and apologise for the disappointment this would have caused to you. Unfortunately due to a lack of available space, we are unable to provide a larger fitness area within the hotel. During your next stay should you require further information regarding local Health Clubs please speak with our Concierge who would be delighted to make arrangements for you.

I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

Wow what a quirky idea. The outside terrace has been converted into an Alpine Ski Lodge for the Xmas season. A must visit to see the reindeer, snowmen and falling snow, all in Central London. Bespoke flavoured spirits and festive platters are available on site. Booking essential.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to visit the Ski Lodge and that you found it to be a quirky idea!

The Ski Lodge is something that we enjoy at the Montague because of its great atmosphere and truly festive feeling and so I am thrilled that you felt it was a ‘must visit’ venue.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.