“Personable service with personality!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I spent Saturday night here to celebrate my wife's birthday. I booked due to the other excellent reviews on here. The service was exemplary from the first moment with our being greeted outside, our luggage collected from the taxi and greeted by name at reception. The decor is striking, and with Georgian decadence. As it was my wife's birthday we were given a complementary room upgrade which was a nice touch. Tommy the porter showed us around the hotel which was a nice touch, before taking us up to our room and once again then going through some of the features of the room. Tommy then left us to relax while he collected our bags. Tommy was personable and helpful in a non pushy and relaxed way. We went to the bar for a light snack which were quickly delivered alongside some complementary and delicious olives and candied pecans. We went out for the evening so I can't comment further on dinner etc. when we returned later that evening we returned to the bar for some cocktails expertly and carefully mixed by Declan. A nice touch in the room was the night light in the bedroom and bathroom. Breakfast the following morning was high quality, it was particularly nice to see some white pudding as well as black with the English breakfast! We left the hotel later that morning and my wife was given a birthday card signed by a number of staff members. Another nice touch - as others have mentioned it's the little things that add up to a great experience! We would definitely return - Thank you to all the staff that made our stay so enjoyable - you all do a great job!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank roystammers
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive review following your recent visit.

We are very honoured that you chose to celebrate your wife’s birthday with us and that it was a pleasant and memorable occasion.

I am delighted that Tommy assisted you on arrival with your luggage and showed you around the hotel. I am equally pleased that you enjoyed the cocktails Declan mixed for you in the Terrace Bar. We are very proud of our staff and so it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Tommy and Declan.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed breakfast served in The Blue Door Bistro, especially the white pudding. I will share your feedback with the Kitchen team.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night on New Years Eve and I can honestly say this was the best service I've ever received at a hotel.
The staff were incredibly welcoming in a down-to-earth, non-stuffy way and had the best attitude to their work.
The rooms are elegantly decorated and the location is great.
Not ideal for a long stay due to the rooms being a bit tight, but it's fine for one or two nights.

Very memorable stay.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Audrey994

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

As a much-valued guest, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations, and made your stay with us a memorable one.

Our staff take pride in all they do to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they provided the best service you have ever received and that they were down to earth with a positive work attitude. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the team who will be most appreciative.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

It is an odd quirk of fate, but a signal problem at Watford helped us to find our now hotel of choice in London. One Saturday, after a Friday night in the capital we got back to Euston to find that all trains North were cancelled. As a result we took to trip advisor to find the nearest hotel to Euston that we could get a room at. We found the The Montague on the Gardens, and what a find.
It's location is perfect. Just 15 minutes walk from Euston, 2 minutes walk from the British museum and 15 minutes from the West End - perfect for the theatre!
It is traditional as opposed to modern in its decor, but the rooms are all clean and very comfortable. The nice big beds in all the rooms are luxurious and almost too nice to leave, but the breakfasts are most definitely worth getting up for. On a recent visit we were upgraded to a junior suite that was a two level room with DVD player and coffee machine.
However, the hotel's greatest feature (and that is not to undersell any of the points above) is the service. It is incredible. No request is too much trouble. From the moment you enter the hotel you are treated like royalty from the friendly reception staff to the helpful concierge. There are freshly made biscuits left in your room and on the last visit, which was for a birthday, I received canapés and a card signed by some of the staff on duty that night!
The service is never too much and doesn't feel at all staged.
I'm sure there are cheaper hotels in London, but even if you were to stay at some of the more famous luxury hotels I doubt the service would be any better. For special treats, this is a perfect base for visiting central London.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent visit.

I was sorry to read that you experienced some issues with your train however I am delighted that it led you to the Montague and that it is now your hotel of choice in London. I am pleased that you liked your room and found it to be clean, comfortable and luxurious.

Your kind comment that the breakfast served in The Blue Door Bistro is ‘worth getting up for’ is most appreciated.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always rewarding to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that you were happy with the service and felt that no request was too much trouble. The staff like to ensure our guests are happy and have everything they want during their time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I just stayed at The Montague on the Gardens for a third time. Terrific location (Bloomsbury, across the street from the British Museum), nice rooms, and perhaps the consistently best service I've experienced anywhere in UK and Europe. All staff were helpful and knowledgeable, professional, but above all, friendly and accommodating. Public facilities -- restaurant, bar, lobby - quintessentially English: charming, inviting and cozy. The bar is particularly great: a place where you just want to sit and chat and, well, drink, in a relaxed and comfortable spot.
I can't say enough about the staff -- just about the best anywhere.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JECEsq.

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent stay.

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your return visit and that you feel the Montague provides the best service you have experienced in the UK and Europe.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. I am thrilled that they were helpful, knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating during your time with us. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile and comments such as these provide great motivation for the team.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the public areas finding them to be quintessentially English and that you especially like the Terrace Bar.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed at the Montague twice in December, the first time on business and the second time with family over Christmas. As always, it is a great place to stay - excellent staff, well located, good food, and a welcoming ambiance. We had two Junior Suites for the family visit, which were smallish (like most London hotel rooms), but well appointed. I love the English breakfast every morning. We attended the Christmas Eve dinner when there with my family and it was very nice. The staff then delivered small Christmas stockings full of goodies to our rooms - a really nice touch. I look forward to staying there again on my next trip to London.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

Our staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that their stay with us whether for business or pleasure is most comfortable and memorable. I am pleased that you have had the chance to stay with us for both reasons.

I am honoured that you chose to spend the festive season with your family at the Montague and that you enjoyed the stockings we delivered. I am equally delighted that you found your Christmas Eve dinner to be very nice and that you loved the breakfast each morning.

We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the staff.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

In early November I had two separate stays – a 3 night weekend during a visit to the UK and a separate 1 night stay a few days later prior to returning to Canada.

The Montague is my preferred choice when staying in London both for business and pleasure – my wife and I have been returning for over six years. The service is always impeccable and these two stays were no different. The staff are friendly, courteous and very knowledgeable and always willing and able to assist – as necessary.

My rooms were up to their normal high standard: well appointed, quiet and clean. I had room service at least two evenings during my stay – and it is always both enjoyable and relaxing after a long day. However, the breakfast buffet is always my favourite part of the stay – a very civilized affair.

We hope to continue staying at the Montague for many years to come.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Blue_Quill

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stays with us.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely significant to us as it helps us to develop the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore thrilled that we have once again met your expectations, and made your return stay with us an occasion to remember.

I am delighted that the Montague is your preferred hotel when visiting London and your kind words about the staff are most appreciated. I am pleased that they were courteous, very knowledgeable and always willing to assist. I will be more than happy to share these lovely comments with the team.

I am equally thrilled that your room service was enjoyable and that the breakfast served in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro is your favourite.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I organised a client's Christmas Party at the Montague for December 2013 and was extremely impressed in the service received through the planning stage and the event itself. The professionalism of the staff was present throughout the process. On the day, we were met on arrival by the attentive operations team and checked in by the professional reception staff. Through the entire event, we could not have asked for better service. The event space was meticulous and well presented. I have used this property in the past and have always found the hotel staff and service to be of a very high standard, I would have no problem in recommending or using the Montague on the Gardens again. Thank you everyone at the hotel!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Justin02014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was delighted that you were impressed with the event you had organised for a client and that you found the event space to be meticulous and well presented.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care from start to finish and make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received brilliant service. I am pleased that you felt the staff were professional and that you couldn’t have asked for better service. It is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed and I will be thrilled to share your wonderful feedback with the team.

Your kind recommendation is most appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.