“Superb place, superb staff, top marks all round”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
High Wycombe
“Superb place, superb staff, top marks all round”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I regularly drop in here for drinks or lunch and even held my celebration party here after I was awarded the Freedom Of The City of London. It's so nice to be greeted by the doorman with a cheery 'good afternoon sir' as he holds the front door open for me. The terrace bar at the rear is an oasis of calm, serves great cocktails and a good lunch that isn't too expensive. The staff take your drink order at the table, the food is great, the service simply superb and everyone is very friendly. This place is a true slice of heaven in London. Long may it continue.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AndrewPSmith
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

Congratulations on your Freedom of the City Award, we are honoured that you chose to celebrate this celebration occasion at the Montague.

Your kind words that the Terrace Bar is an oasis of calm with great cocktails and food are most appreciated. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they were cheerful, friendly and provided superb service. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I had the unruly task of organising our Christmas Party this year, being very fond of the Montague and all its staff it was of course one of my first point of calls. After I was faced with various options I’m so happy I went with this hotel! The night was amazing, the staff covered everything so I could sit back and enjoy the party, the help and support from the sales and events team on the run up to the event was always helpful and suggestive. All of my staff members thoroughly enjoyed themselves, with comments that it has been the best work party they have been to in years! Would defiantly recommend, food brilliant, hospitality brilliant an overall excellent experience.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

I was delighted that you were impressed with the party you had organised for your work Christmas event and you had an excellent experience.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care from start to finish and it is motivating to read that your colleagues felt it was the best work party they had been to in years. I am pleased that you felt the staff were helpful and suggestive from start to finish; allowing you to enjoy the party yourself. It is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed and I will be thrilled to share your wonderful feedback with the team.

Thank you for your kind recommendation. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is a nice hotel with a "boutique" ambiance. The staff are very attentive and helpful. It is located directly across the street from the British Museum and is very convenient to the underground subway system. The food in the restaurant is excellent.

Warning to US travelers - the hotel will seem older and smaller than what you are used to in the States. The rooms are quite snug, with very little free space - it was fine for me traveling alone, but I cannot imagine what it would be like with a second person. That being said, the hotel was maintained in excellent condition.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank poohmacat2
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay at the Montague and found the staff to be attentive and helpful. I have also noted your positive words about our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro. Your lovely comments provide great motivation for the team.

Thank you for the feedback regarding our rooms. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would like to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room. We like to ensure our guests are comfortable and we do all that we can to ensure that this is achieved.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Me and my friends visited the ski lodge for my birthday during December and had an absolutely fantastic time. All your staff were brilliant and made it a really special birthday for me. They were very flexible with us to meet our needs and there is nothing we could fault them on...we particularly liked their Christmas jumpers and hats!
Thank you for being brilliant and we will definitely be keeping an eye on what you have to offer next Christmas time :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

I am thrilled that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us at the Ski Lodge. Our staff like to ensure that our guests have everything they want and that they have a memorable time when they are at the hotel and so I am pleased their hard work was noticed.

Please do check our website as we regularly update it with all our events for 2014 including winter.

London
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent Saturday night here to celebrate my wife's birthday. I booked due to the other excellent reviews on here. The service was exemplary from the first moment with our being greeted outside, our luggage collected from the taxi and greeted by name at reception. The decor is striking, and with Georgian decadence. As it was my wife's birthday we were given a complementary room upgrade which was a nice touch. Tommy the porter showed us around the hotel which was a nice touch, before taking us up to our room and once again then going through some of the features of the room. Tommy then left us to relax while he collected our bags. Tommy was personable and helpful in a non pushy and relaxed way. We went to the bar for a light snack which were quickly delivered alongside some complementary and delicious olives and candied pecans. We went out for the evening so I can't comment further on dinner etc. when we returned later that evening we returned to the bar for some cocktails expertly and carefully mixed by Declan. A nice touch in the room was the night light in the bedroom and bathroom. Breakfast the following morning was high quality, it was particularly nice to see some white pudding as well as black with the English breakfast! We left the hotel later that morning and my wife was given a birthday card signed by a number of staff members. Another nice touch - as others have mentioned it's the little things that add up to a great experience! We would definitely return - Thank you to all the staff that made our stay so enjoyable - you all do a great job!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank roystammers
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive review following your recent visit.

We are very honoured that you chose to celebrate your wife’s birthday with us and that it was a pleasant and memorable occasion.

I am delighted that Tommy assisted you on arrival with your luggage and showed you around the hotel. I am equally pleased that you enjoyed the cocktails Declan mixed for you in the Terrace Bar. We are very proud of our staff and so it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Tommy and Declan.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed breakfast served in The Blue Door Bistro, especially the white pudding. I will share your feedback with the Kitchen team.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night on New Years Eve and I can honestly say this was the best service I've ever received at a hotel.
The staff were incredibly welcoming in a down-to-earth, non-stuffy way and had the best attitude to their work.
The rooms are elegantly decorated and the location is great.
Not ideal for a long stay due to the rooms being a bit tight, but it's fine for one or two nights.

Very memorable stay.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Audrey994
Dear guest,

As a much-valued guest, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have met your expectations, and made your stay with us a memorable one.

Our staff take pride in all they do to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that they provided the best service you have ever received and that they were down to earth with a positive work attitude. I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the team who will be most appreciative.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

It is an odd quirk of fate, but a signal problem at Watford helped us to find our now hotel of choice in London. One Saturday, after a Friday night in the capital we got back to Euston to find that all trains North were cancelled. As a result we took to trip advisor to find the nearest hotel to Euston that we could get a room at. We found the The Montague on the Gardens, and what a find.
It's location is perfect. Just 15 minutes walk from Euston, 2 minutes walk from the British museum and 15 minutes from the West End - perfect for the theatre!
It is traditional as opposed to modern in its decor, but the rooms are all clean and very comfortable. The nice big beds in all the rooms are luxurious and almost too nice to leave, but the breakfasts are most definitely worth getting up for. On a recent visit we were upgraded to a junior suite that was a two level room with DVD player and coffee machine.
However, the hotel's greatest feature (and that is not to undersell any of the points above) is the service. It is incredible. No request is too much trouble. From the moment you enter the hotel you are treated like royalty from the friendly reception staff to the helpful concierge. There are freshly made biscuits left in your room and on the last visit, which was for a birthday, I received canapés and a card signed by some of the staff on duty that night!
The service is never too much and doesn't feel at all staged.
I'm sure there are cheaper hotels in London, but even if you were to stay at some of the more famous luxury hotels I doubt the service would be any better. For special treats, this is a perfect base for visiting central London.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent visit.

I was sorry to read that you experienced some issues with your train however I am delighted that it led you to the Montague and that it is now your hotel of choice in London. I am pleased that you liked your room and found it to be clean, comfortable and luxurious.

Your kind comment that the breakfast served in The Blue Door Bistro is ‘worth getting up for’ is most appreciated.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always rewarding to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that you were happy with the service and felt that no request was too much trouble. The staff like to ensure our guests are happy and have everything they want during their time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.