“As a VIP at The Montague”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Florence, Italy
“As a VIP at The Montague”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We were in London just for 3 days and our stay has been delightful. The room was very nice and the staff has been fantastic, we were pampered at any moment. The restaurant is very good. The location is great. I look forward to my next stay there.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you had a delightful few days with us. Our staff like to ensure that our guests have everything they need to make their stay one that is comfortable and memorable. I am thrilled that you felt pampered during your time at the hotel. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

Your kind comment that our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro is also good is most appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Wiltshire
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here whilst studying at the nearby University of London on a day course. I travelled on my own and felt very secure as a female solo traveller.
I have to say it was very hard to fault the hotel on anything. The only thing not done as requested was my room to have feather-free bedding, but I approached Housekeeping shortly after my early check-in and this was swiftly rectified.
I booked a double room after reading the room are small and my room wasn't that big, but it was only me and it suited my needs.
The decor was modern in monochrome which I wasn't expecting as I'd read it was a chintzy hotel.
The staff showed me around on check-in and couldn't have been of more help. To be honest, there is much to like about this hotel. However, it is the staff that make it stand out head and shoulders above the rest. Nothing is too much trouble. They are polite and well-informed, smart and intelligent and helpful. They really make you feel at home. This applies to all staff and even the lady who did my turn down was lovely. I especially remember Ingrid (I think) from Room Service who was happy to return with another lemonade to go with my room service dinner when I discovered the tiny child sized bottle I had been given!

The food was great at dinner from room service. I was a little disappointed that my cheese and biscuits came with no butter and dry oatcakes.
I also loved the freshly cooked cookies delivered to my room in the afternoon. A great touch.

Breakfast was fit for a King and I have no idea why others have said it wasn't great. I didn't eat much as I was nervous, but there was so much too choose from. Full cooked English as well lots of continental and items to order like Eggs Benedict and poached eggs.
I was impressed by the array of fresh juices. Even beetroot which I love!

I should also mention that my bed was exceptionally comfortable and I slept really well. The room was cold when I checked in, but the heating controls were in the room and I turned it up. It heated up fairly quickly.

To be honest, I was reluctant to check out! I definitely would not stay anywhere else when I return to London. It is so central and not far from several tube stations. My taxi from Waterloo only cost £8.00 too.
Location wise it is perfect for the British Museum and also Oxford Street.

I really cannot praise this hotel highly enough. A near to perfect as anyone can expect and I also felt for London my room wasn't too badly priced either.

I hope to be back soon!!

Room Tip: I stayed in 126 which overlooked the road. Not noisy at all. Window well insulated from noise. Even...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank franniebabes
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

At the Montague we like to ensure that all of our guests are comfortable whether they are staying with others or alone and so I am pleased that you felt secure. I am equally delighted that you enjoyed a comfortable night’s sleep and that you were able to adjust your room temperature suitably.

Please accept my apologies that your preferred linen was not used in your room, although I am happy that the Housekeeping team swiftly rectified this issue.

I am also sorry that you did not get butter with your cheese and oatcakes. Please ask for this when you next stay with us as the Food and Beverage team will be more than happy to assist.

I am however, thrilled that you enjoyed breakfast in the Blue Door Bistro, especially the wide variety and the beetroot juice.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Upminster
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed here New Years Eve & for a few days after ( bit late writing this). We have stayed here a few times & we love it, staff are helpful, nice easy going, relaxing atmosphere....Rooms are all different and clean, always made welcome, bar food and service is excellent, again very relaxing, cant wit to go back.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank clcclc
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide. I am therefore delighted that we have continued to meet your expectations and made your most recent stay memorable.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always lovely to receive such positive feedback as yours. I am pleased that they were helpful and easy going. I shall ensure that your kind comments are passed on the team.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed the bar food and service, finding them to be both excellent and relaxing.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Perth, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Spent one night while on business trip, the hotel has a lovely atmosphere, the staff are lovely and very attentive, the room is very well equipped, although on the small side. Nice touches include a hand written card in the room and home made cookies.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your business stay with us and found that the hotel had a lovely atmosphere.

I am, however, sorry to read that you felt the room was a little on the small side. We do have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation. Please do mention when booking that you prefer a larger room and we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

Your kind comments that the staff are lovely and attentive are most appreciated and I will be delighted to share this lovely feedback with them, ensuring that their service is duly noted.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We were very pleased with the service as a whole, particularly the reception and the restaurant staff. The menu was tasty and at a reasonable price. The room was bright and welcoming.
My birthday celebration in the Montague Garden hotel, was a very pleasant and memorable experience.
I have already recommended this hotel to two of my friends.
I will definitely be returning for another stay in the Montague Garden.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent visit.

I am delighted that we have made your birthday celebration a pleasant and memorable occasion. I am also pleased that you found the restaurant menu in the Blue Door Bistro to be tasty.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always wonderful to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that the Reception and Restaurant staff were particularly pleasant. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

Your kind recommendation is most appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Based on other reviews I had high expectations of The Montague. All of these were met and it's now my favourite place to stay in London.

On arrival the concierge team took my bag and check in was quick and very polite. I was then shown around the hotel before being taken to my room which was one of the small touches that really makes this hotel stand out.

All the public areas are very comfortable. The ski lodge looks great and the bar is incredibly relaxed.

My room was a classic double on the 3rd floor and although it was quite small, was still incredibly comfortable and full of those little touches. Handmade biscuits and hand written welcome card, little pot of lip balm, robe and slippers and lovely toiletries. It was probably the best sleep I've had in a hotel, I think the secret is the sheet with the duvet on top and those comfy pillows!

Dinner was good. Pre- dinner drink in the bar with just the right amount of attention. The singer is great and I enjoyed the music while choosing my dinner. There are plenty of attentive staff around to answer any questions.

I went with the signature lobster and prawn cocktail followed by the duck cottage pie which were both good but a bit pricey for what they were, however, it was reasonable for Central London prices and a good option if staying at the hotel. I would have loved to try the rice pudding but was just too stuffed. I did however manage to indulge in coffee, cognac and cigar on the cigar terrace. If you enjoy a cigar, this is THE place to indulge. Great choice, wide selection of drinks, loads of cigars to choose from and knowledgeable staff. Lovely evening on the whole which is a challenge when travelling alone on business.

Wonderful nights sleep followed by a great shower set me up for breakfast.

Breakfast is a large selection of continental and cooked breakfast which was ok. They did cater for gluten free toast and again service was great. It would have been even better if the cooked breakfast was cooked to order and fresh but there were a few a la carte options but these unfortunately were extra.

So, on the whole a great stay at the Montague and I will certainly be bringing the family for a leisure break in the near future. Seriously, stay here, it really is that good.

Thank you to all the staff for such a lovely experience and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JBParks15
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time at the Montague and that you were happy with your room and the amenities provided. I am equally pleased that it was a comfortable stay and you had a great night’s sleep.

We are extremely proud of our staff and it is wonderful to receive such positive feedback as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectation of service and it satisfying to read that their hard work is noticed. I am pleased that the Concierge team assisted you on arrival and the staff were knowledgeable and attentive during your time with us.

I am pleased that you had the opportunity to enjoy a pre dinner drink whilst listening to the live pianist before moving to the Blue Door Bistro for dinner. I am happy that you enjoyed the lobster and prawn cocktail followed by the duck cottage pie. I do hope that on your next visit you have the chance to try our delicious rice pudding.

I am extremely delighted that you took the time to experience the Cigar Lounge and enjoy coffee, cognac and a cigar from our wide selection.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding breakfast, we like to ensure that all dietary requirements are catered for. Unfortunately, due to operational reasons, we are unable to serve breakfast directly from our kitchen. However, I will be sure to share this feedback with the Food and Beverage Manager to ensure that our service is kept to a high standard.

I would like to thank you for your kind words that the Montague is now your favourite place to stay and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back with your family in the near future.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Look no further than this hotel if you are staying in London!

If visiting this hotel in the summer, make sure you take advantage of the gardens, where you can sit in peaceful surroundings and enjoy drinks from the bar. The bar staff are incredibly professional and efficient, and have obviously had a lot of training. All staff are a credit to the hotel.
Quality here is second to none, the rooms are decorated in such a way that it feels as though no expense has been spared. We have had friends who have stayed here and received a free complimentary room upgrade owing to the fact that it was their anniversary.. well worth a thought!!

This will be one of the best hotels that you have ever stayed in!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us; your kind words that the Montague is one of the best hotels are most appreciated.

I am thrilled that you have had the opportunity to experience our outside areas to relax and enjoy a drink in the peaceful surroundings.

We are very proud of our staff and it is lovely to read such positive comments as yours. I am pleased that the bar staff were professional and efficient. I will be sure that your kind feedback and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

Thank you for your kind recommendation, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your friends back to the hotel soon.