“Best Small Hotel in London”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,088 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Small Hotel in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

The Montague on the Gardens is a lovely boutique hotel just off Russell Square and along side the British Museum. They are a ten minute walk from Euston Station. However, don't let their great location fool you. This is a hotel worth going out of your way for. The rooms are very comfortable and the public spaces are lovely. Its really like staying at a stately country house.
But, its the staff that make this hotel a pleasure. From the moment you enter, you are being looked after.

The bell and door staff are always helpful. The front desk could do a clinic for other more expensive flag ship hotels in the city. Ben was a star! Put simply, you're going to love staying here.

I was traveling for a work conference just up the street, but this hotel spoiled me into thinking I might actually be on vacation. The lounge is great. Its delightfully old school with a view of the lovely private walled gardens behind. They have a perfect semi-enclosed terrace where you can have a cigar and a whiskey to unwind after a long day. They really have thought of everything. If you want to melt into a big comfy chair in their saloon and watch the big game. . .you can do that too. The bar staff were both knowledgeable and friendly. Declan helped me choose a cigar and a new whiskey. He (like all his other hotel colleagues) seems to really enjoy his job and caring for guests.

Though I'd booked one of the smaller double rooms to hit my company's target price for London, I was upgraded to a very spacious room on the ground floor with a large and comfortable king bed. The bathroom is regal and the sheets are top notch. I don't love that the bed is really two twins mashed together, but I recognize this as a European standard. Excellent coffee/tea service in your room reminds you that they really have thought of everything.

The restaurant and parlor area are equally beautiful. Breakfast is delicious and probably worth the price, though be warned it is quite expensive. Tea is a grown up version and you won't be overrun with bridesmaids or 9 year olds. You can sit in the overstuffed sofa, enjoy your tea and sandwiches and work in peace. Very charming.

I think I've found my new home away from home in London.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor facing the street are quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank duchamp_98
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found the room to be very comfortable and felt the public areas were lovely.

I am equally thrilled that you enjoyed your time in the Cigar Terrace, finding it to be a place where you could unwind after a long day. We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am delighted that Declan assisted you with choosing a cigar and whisky and that the team were knowledgeable and friendly. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Declan and the team and that their service is duly noted.

Your kind feedback about the breakfast is most appreciated. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed the lounge and were able to work in peace whilst having lunch.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (735)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Staffs, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just completed our fifth stay at the Montague. As usual, everything was excellent! The Montague is a lovely hotel, and it is also so very convenient, both for the theatres and shops, but also for Euston station. When visiting London, we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank djo53
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your 5th stay with us an occasion to remember.

I am pleased to read that you found everything to be excellent. Your comment that you wouldn’t think of visiting anywhere else in London are most appreciated.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Montague from the 3rd to the 5th of February. When my husband booked the room he asked for a quiet room so we could celebrate our anniversary with a couple of long lies!

On arrival we were pleasantly surprised to be told we had a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe king room. The room was beautifully decorated and comfortably furnished with a lovely bathroom.

When we returned from our evening out we were delighted to find a card, balloon and a happy anniversary cake display with a card from the reception staff who had taken the time to decorate the bed with rose petals and fill the bath tub with more petals and floating candles!

Our visit was topped off by a fantastic afternoon tea in the conservatory. The staff at this hotel went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and comfortable. I can't recommend the hotel highly enough, there dedication to the personal touch means we will definitely be back the next time we visit London.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iskierkamummy
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you chose to spend your anniversary with us at the Montague. I am equally pleased that you found your room to be beautifully decorated, comfortably furnished and that you thought the bathroom was lovely.

Our staff really like to ensure that our guests have a most memorable time with us, especially when they are celebrating a special occasion and so it is wonderful to read their efforts were noticed. It pleases me to read that they made you feel welcome and comfortable.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your afternoon tea in the conservatory; your kind words are most appreciated.

Thank you for your positive recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed at the hotel on the 30th Jan for a work event. From the minute I arrived, it was lovely. The porters/concierge were attentive and the receptionist helpful. All were in good spirits and having just walked the 175 steps from the bottom of Russell Square tube, I was grateful for the offer of a glass of water (I'll wait for the lift next time!).
I had been upgraded from a single to a double, room 101 which suited my needs perfectly, a comfy firm bed, overlooking the garden, and a welcome note from the manager with freshly homemade biscuits. They even had my favourite herbal tea in the caddy. I had a drink in the 'lobby' with colleagues before moving off to dinner elsewhere - I had to wait a while for my drink to arrive, but there was a problem in the back of the bar (beer leakage) and the bar person gave it to me on the house. All in all, a great hotel, in just the right location & I hope to go back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Margo716
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you had a lovely time at the Montague and that you found the hotel to be great.

Our staff like to ensure that every guest has a comfortable and memorable time when staying with us. I am thrilled that the Concierge were attentive and offered you a refreshment after your experience at Russell Square. I am equally pleased that the Reception team were helpful. We like to make sure that our guests have everything they may need and so I am pleased that your favourite herbal tea was available for you to enjoy.

I was sorry that you had to wait for your drink in the bar; however I am pleased that the staff were able to fix this situation.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

WashingtonDC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

My partner and I stayed at The Montague On The Gardens while we were transiting through London for a night, and overall, we felt that it was a very nice example of a quaint and charming London hotel.

The staff at this hotel was very friendly. Even for just a night or two, the bellmen remembered our names and were always accommodating and helpful. The prices here are unfortunately rather standard, the cheapest room starting £199. For whatever reason, they upgraded us to the third highest category, a deluxe king. For downtown London at £199, it was absolutely fantastic. Soaring ceilings added a really nice touch. Contrary to the title of this hotel, we are actually right on the street and not on the garden in the back (which you can't walk on anyway because it's a different property).

At first I thought it would be kind of annoying during the night with people and cars, but this is actually a rather quiet part of London, right opposite Russell Square. The lines and pillows were nice, but the "king bed" is actually two twins mattresses put together.

The location is right across from the British Museum and I felt it was walkable to a lot of different sites. You're well-positioned, and Euston Station is about a 10-15 minute walk.

For a downtown London hotel, The Montague On The Gardens is very nice. I haven't seen the smallest room that they have for £199, but their higher category room was very nice. The rooms were gorgeous and the staff definitely understood customer service than a lot of other British hotels we stayed at. I would definitely recommend this hotel for its uniqueness and the "something different" than just Hilton over and over.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jg325
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Montague and that you found the hotel to be a nice example of a quaint and charming London hotel.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and to make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. I am delighted that the team were friendly, accommodating and helpful. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Your positive recommendation is most appreciated; I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Eastbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

It's the staff at this wonderfully-located hotel that makes is so very special. Our stay was booked through 'Late Rooms' which, at the time of booking, specified a double room. Apart from the included extras, there was no further information on the room itself. The double room turned out to be so small that I couldn't close the curtains due to the obstruction of a bedside table; the carpet was horrible (1970s!); and the bathroom door was slowly rotting at the bottom. I immediately asked reception if they had a larger room for which I would gladly pay a premium. Within minutes the manager gave us a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite. The suite was wonderful and so far removed from the original room that it was hard to believe it was the same hotel.
Breakfast and afternoon tea were excellent. Dinner not so good - possibly chef's night off? Very nice bar with wonderful sandwiches.
Furnishings and fabrics a tad ornate and somewhat dated with some truly dodgy carpets. All very clean though.
It is, however, the staff that makes this hotel so memorable. From reception through to waiting- staff and management, all are genuinely friendly, helpful and charming. It's one big happy family.
We will definitely return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Casojano
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent visit.

I was very sorry to hear that when booking your room via ‘Late Rooms’ you were not offered further information about the accommodation size. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this caused when you came to the Hotel. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. However I am pleased that we were able to offer you a larger room.

I was also concerned that you felt your dinner one evening was not very good. At the Montague we pride ourselves in excellent customer service and quality of food and anything less is not acceptable. I will certainly share this with my Executive Chef to ensure that the standard of food is of a high quality at all times.

However, I am pleased that you felt breakfast and afternoon tea were great, as well as the sandwiches served in the bar.

We are very proud of our staff and it is pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am delighted that you found them to be friendly, helpful, charming and that they made your stay with us memorable. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

Your kind recommendation is most appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Ormskirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left this hotel was nigh on perfect. The staff were simply exceptional in their attentiveness, without being intrusive. The interior, both public spaces and bedroom was spotless. If there is a better hotel in the area we have yet to find it. Even its position was ideal for theatres, shops.places of interest and establishments for food and drink. If you want a hotel that makes you feel special this is it. Would we go back? Definitely. Would we recommend it to our friends? Certainly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 12lyndag
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent stay.

I am thrilled that your stay with us was perfect from the moment you arrived until you left. I am equally pleased that you found your room and the public areas to be ‘spotless’.

We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am delighted that you found the staff to be exceptional in their attentiveness without being obtrusive and I will be sure that all of these kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

Your kind recommendation to others with the point that we will make your stay special is most appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Montague soon.