“Stunning one off hotel with fabulous staff and walking distance from everything you need!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at the montague with a friend as we were visiting London to go to the theatre.
I can not praise the hotel enough!
From the moment we walked up the steps our backs were taken and we were checked in, it was that very moment I began to relax, we had arrived earlier than planned and our room wasn't quite ready we were taken to the lounge where we were served with the most fabulous tea I have ever had! Presented so beautifully.
We then left for a stroll and returned later and asked if we might have afternoon tea, our reservation was booked instantly and we were served with stunning warm scones and the most delightful clotted cream accompanied with champagne and a selection of teas.
When we returned to our room the beds had been turned down and the wonderful touch of a chocolate left on each pillow.
The hotel had even brought an ice bucket filled with ice for our champagne we had left out on the side!
The service here really is second to none.
Our room was clean and bright with lovely views over the garden.
Our breakfast the next morning was delicious and the lady who served us was so nice and chatty.
We wouldn't hesitate to stay in this beautiful one off hotel again, and would like to thank the montague for a wonderful stay xx

Ps I would just like to add that manners cost nothing. At breakfast I noticed a number of guests never ever said please or thank you.
"Coffee please" it's not particularly hard to grasp and the staff are people after all.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank MrsFrancis2B
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

It was fantastic to read that you and your friend had a wonderful stay with us at the Montague when you came to London for the theatre.

Our staff like to ensure that our guests have a comfortable time and so I am pleased that you felt relaxed as soon as you arrived. I am equally happy that they left an ice bucket in your room so that you could enjoy chilled champagne.

I am delighted that you had the opportunity to experience afternoon tea with us and that you found it to be stunning and delicious. I am also thrilled that you enjoyed breakfast in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the staff and that their service is duly noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,354)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We had a lovely weekend at the Montague, a hotel with a classic look and atmosphere. For a winter break it was perfect with lots of wooden panelling and thick carpets. There are a number of different spaces for guests to relax in, from a lounge to conservatory and bar. The hotel has some lovely features and we were made to feel very welcome. We were greeted by excellent staff and given a tour of the whole hotel, the staff are rightly proud. Amazing window boxes too!

When I booked the hotel I let them know it was my husband's birthday and they went out of their way to make him feel special. They left treats in the room for him, a card, beautiful macaroons and fresh fruit, and a lovely box of special biscuits which he really appreciated and extremely sweet of them.

Although all hotels in London are extortionate the Montague was a good price for the location, being literally round the corner from the British Museum was great! We popped in a couple of times. The room was also a good size for London although not what you would call large, it was all perfectly pleasant and the bed was very comfy. Beautiful views over the hidden gardens behind the hotel making it feel very secluded despite it's location. We didn't hear our neighbours at all so presumed they had some good quality sound proofing.

The only slight negative was in the bar, we ate out but decided to have a cocktail on our return. The bar man seemed slightly unsure of exactly what we were ordering and told us he was new, but went off and started mixing. Unfortunately he made the wrong cocktail for me. The manager quickly came to the table (very good customer service!) and said it would be replaced immediately. I said I didn't mind as I like the type of cocktail that had been made (Bellini). However he insisted that it would be replaced, but said I should keep the bellini. On tasting it I realised it was dreadful, badly mixed and full of lumps of fruit and told the manager who then took it away. The next cocktail (expresso martini) arrived but it was also awful, unfortunately the manager had disappeared and when I told the bar man he didn't react. We left the cocktail and the bar. I was disappointed to find both cocktails on my bill in the morning. I didn't make a fuss with the receptionist as it felt petty, we had received two cocktails, they were just awful! The staff were generally excellent so I am sure it was just a new member of staff settling in.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay with us.

I was very sorry to read that you had a bad experience in our bar. This is not our usual standard and so I am disappointed that you were not happy with your cocktails and that our staff did not deal with this situation in the way that we would usually expect. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. As you stayed in November, it has been difficult to identify the particular member of staff serving you. However, I shared this feedback with my Food and Beverage Manager and she will ensure that all staff are retrained in these areas to ensure this does not happen again.

I am pleased to read nonetheless; that you chose to spend your husband’s birthday with us and that you enjoyed the remainder of your stay. I am equally thrilled that you were happy with your room and found the bed to be very comfortable.

Our staff like to do all they can to make sure our guests feel welcome and comfortable during their time at the hotel. It is wonderful to know that their efforts were noticed and you found the team to be excellent.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

The Montague on the Gardens is a lovely boutique hotel just off Russell Square and along side the British Museum. They are a ten minute walk from Euston Station. However, don't let their great location fool you. This is a hotel worth going out of your way for. The rooms are very comfortable and the public spaces are lovely. Its really like staying at a stately country house.
But, its the staff that make this hotel a pleasure. From the moment you enter, you are being looked after.

The bell and door staff are always helpful. The front desk could do a clinic for other more expensive flag ship hotels in the city. Ben was a star! Put simply, you're going to love staying here.

I was traveling for a work conference just up the street, but this hotel spoiled me into thinking I might actually be on vacation. The lounge is great. Its delightfully old school with a view of the lovely private walled gardens behind. They have a perfect semi-enclosed terrace where you can have a cigar and a whiskey to unwind after a long day. They really have thought of everything. If you want to melt into a big comfy chair in their saloon and watch the big game. . .you can do that too. The bar staff were both knowledgeable and friendly. Declan helped me choose a cigar and a new whiskey. He (like all his other hotel colleagues) seems to really enjoy his job and caring for guests.

Though I'd booked one of the smaller double rooms to hit my company's target price for London, I was upgraded to a very spacious room on the ground floor with a large and comfortable king bed. The bathroom is regal and the sheets are top notch. I don't love that the bed is really two twins mashed together, but I recognize this as a European standard. Excellent coffee/tea service in your room reminds you that they really have thought of everything.

The restaurant and parlor area are equally beautiful. Breakfast is delicious and probably worth the price, though be warned it is quite expensive. Tea is a grown up version and you won't be overrun with bridesmaids or 9 year olds. You can sit in the overstuffed sofa, enjoy your tea and sandwiches and work in peace. Very charming.

I think I've found my new home away from home in London.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor facing the street are quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank duchamp_98

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am pleased to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you found the room to be very comfortable and felt the public areas were lovely.

I am equally thrilled that you enjoyed your time in the Cigar Terrace, finding it to be a place where you could unwind after a long day. We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am delighted that Declan assisted you with choosing a cigar and whisky and that the team were knowledgeable and friendly. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Declan and the team and that their service is duly noted.

Your kind feedback about the breakfast is most appreciated. It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed the lounge and were able to work in peace whilst having lunch.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

My wife and I have just completed our fifth stay at the Montague. As usual, everything was excellent! The Montague is a lovely hotel, and it is also so very convenient, both for the theatres and shops, but also for Euston station. When visiting London, we wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank djo53

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your 5th stay with us an occasion to remember.

I am pleased to read that you found everything to be excellent. Your comment that you wouldn’t think of visiting anywhere else in London are most appreciated.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Montague from the 3rd to the 5th of February. When my husband booked the room he asked for a quiet room so we could celebrate our anniversary with a couple of long lies!

On arrival we were pleasantly surprised to be told we had a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe king room. The room was beautifully decorated and comfortably furnished with a lovely bathroom.

When we returned from our evening out we were delighted to find a card, balloon and a happy anniversary cake display with a card from the reception staff who had taken the time to decorate the bed with rose petals and fill the bath tub with more petals and floating candles!

Our visit was topped off by a fantastic afternoon tea in the conservatory. The staff at this hotel went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and comfortable. I can't recommend the hotel highly enough, there dedication to the personal touch means we will definitely be back the next time we visit London.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank iskierkamummy

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you chose to spend your anniversary with us at the Montague. I am equally pleased that you found your room to be beautifully decorated, comfortably furnished and that you thought the bathroom was lovely.

Our staff really like to ensure that our guests have a most memorable time with us, especially when they are celebrating a special occasion and so it is wonderful to read their efforts were noticed. It pleases me to read that they made you feel welcome and comfortable.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your afternoon tea in the conservatory; your kind words are most appreciated.

Thank you for your positive recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed at the hotel on the 30th Jan for a work event. From the minute I arrived, it was lovely. The porters/concierge were attentive and the receptionist helpful. All were in good spirits and having just walked the 175 steps from the bottom of Russell Square tube, I was grateful for the offer of a glass of water (I'll wait for the lift next time!).
I had been upgraded from a single to a double, room 101 which suited my needs perfectly, a comfy firm bed, overlooking the garden, and a welcome note from the manager with freshly homemade biscuits. They even had my favourite herbal tea in the caddy. I had a drink in the 'lobby' with colleagues before moving off to dinner elsewhere - I had to wait a while for my drink to arrive, but there was a problem in the back of the bar (beer leakage) and the bar person gave it to me on the house. All in all, a great hotel, in just the right location & I hope to go back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Margo716

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you had a lovely time at the Montague and that you found the hotel to be great.

Our staff like to ensure that every guest has a comfortable and memorable time when staying with us. I am thrilled that the Concierge were attentive and offered you a refreshment after your experience at Russell Square. I am equally pleased that the Reception team were helpful. We like to make sure that our guests have everything they may need and so I am pleased that your favourite herbal tea was available for you to enjoy.

I was sorry that you had to wait for your drink in the bar; however I am pleased that the staff were able to fix this situation.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

My partner and I stayed at The Montague On The Gardens while we were transiting through London for a night, and overall, we felt that it was a very nice example of a quaint and charming London hotel.

The staff at this hotel was very friendly. Even for just a night or two, the bellmen remembered our names and were always accommodating and helpful. The prices here are unfortunately rather standard, the cheapest room starting £199. For whatever reason, they upgraded us to the third highest category, a deluxe king. For downtown London at £199, it was absolutely fantastic. Soaring ceilings added a really nice touch. Contrary to the title of this hotel, we are actually right on the street and not on the garden in the back (which you can't walk on anyway because it's a different property).

At first I thought it would be kind of annoying during the night with people and cars, but this is actually a rather quiet part of London, right opposite Russell Square. The lines and pillows were nice, but the "king bed" is actually two twins mattresses put together.

The location is right across from the British Museum and I felt it was walkable to a lot of different sites. You're well-positioned, and Euston Station is about a 10-15 minute walk.

For a downtown London hotel, The Montague On The Gardens is very nice. I haven't seen the smallest room that they have for £199, but their higher category room was very nice. The rooms were gorgeous and the staff definitely understood customer service than a lot of other British hotels we stayed at. I would definitely recommend this hotel for its uniqueness and the "something different" than just Hilton over and over.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jg325

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Montague and that you found the hotel to be a nice example of a quaint and charming London hotel.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and to make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. I am delighted that the team were friendly, accommodating and helpful. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Your positive recommendation is most appreciated; I look forward to welcoming you back soon.