“Genteel luxury in Bloomsbury”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Menlo Park, CA
“Genteel luxury in Bloomsbury”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I spent a long time looking for London lodgings for a week in January. I found that by and large London is a very expensive place and the price-to-value ratio is not always consistent. Thus, I decided to opt for a higher-end place to ensure quality, and booked at the Montague.

This turned out to be a very good decision. The Montague is tucked into a lovely low-rise neighborhood between the British Museum and Russell Square. You can walk everywhere from here, and still return to this peaceful neighborhood outside the hustle and bustle of downtown London.

The hotel itself is lovely. We had stays of 2 and 3 nights with a day in the middle, and thus tried two different room classes. For the longer stay, we treated ourselves to a junior suite on a 3 nights for 2 rate, and for the short stay had a king room (upgraded to a deluxe). Both rooms were impeccable and good-sized, with comfortable beds and well-equipped bathrooms. The junior suite had a walk-in closet! Both rooms were exceptionally well organized and functional. Although it's a small thing, all the switches in the room are labeled so you can determine what they do, several of the easily accessible electric sockets take multiple plug formats, and the wireless internet works well and is free.

The hotel staff is equally impeccable: formal in that particularly British way, but fundamentally friendly and helpful. I was particularly impressed to see the hotel manager regularly working on the lobby floor with the regular staff (as opposed to being sequestered in a back room office).

We had a cream-tea as part of a package, and that was lovely ... although it would have been nicer in the warm weather in the garden. We otherwise didn't try the restaurant.

All in all, I would stay here again in a flash!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank wobbs1
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the hotel.

It is wonderful to read that you were not disappointed with your decision to stay at the Montague after your research of hotels in London.

I am delighted that you were happy with both rooms that you stayed in and that you found them to be impeccable, good sized with comfortable beds and well equipped. We like to ensure that our guests stay is stress free and so I am pleased that you found the rooms to be functional with the labelled switches and that you had no issues with the free Wi-Fi.

Your kind feedback that the cream tea was lovely is most appreciated, I hope that you can visit again in the summer and have the opportunity to enjoy this in one of our outdoor areas.

The staff and I enjoy meeting guests and getting to know them so that we can make sure that their stay is memorable and that they feel comfortable. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am pleased that they were friendly and helpful. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (743)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Having had an enjoyable lunch here last summer, we thought we would try out the hotel next time we needed to stay in London. The staff are very attentive, friendly and welcoming. The room was lovely with a very comfortable bed and duvet and was very quiet. We could not hear anyone next door or above or below us.

We had an excellent breakfast too.

One gripe was that you can pay elect to pay extra for a 'garden facing room'. I naively thought that this meant you overlooked the gardens and opted for this. However on checking in we only had a view of the flats opposite and the flat roof right outside the window. On checking out we found we had been charged for the garden facing room. Apparently this really means that you have a room away from the road and does not guarantee you a view of the garden. They were very good and deleted the charge from our bill. However I think they should change the wording to make it clear that they are offering you a quiet room at the back rather than over the road and not necessarily a view of the gardens.

Will certainly go back and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the top of the hotel as you do get a good view from there. The road outside is n...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MollsTring
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you chose to stay at the Montague following a lunch visit. However, I would like to apologise for the disappointment you experienced with the room you were allocated. We like to ensure that our guests have a memorable stay and so I am extremely sorry that on this occasion your expectations with regards to the view in your room were not met. I have shared your feedback with my Rooms Division Manager so that he can look into this situation further.

However, I am delighted to read that this did not deter too much from your stay and that you found the staff to be attentive, friendly and welcoming. I am equally pleased that you were not disturbed by noise during your time with us. Your kind comment that the breakfast was excellent is most appreciated and I will be sure to share your feedback with the team.

Thank you for your offer of recommendation to others. I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Paris, France
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The feel of a country house hotel just a few minutes walk from the British Museum. The service is outstanding - I have stayed here several times and they really make one feel at home. Each room is individually decorated - such a pleasant change from the formula of most hotels in which you feel you could be anywhere in the world. In the MotG its the essence of British hospitality at its very best.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Simon659
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

As a returning and much-valued guest, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your stay with us an occasion to remember.

Our staff take great interest in our guests to ensure that their stay with us is one that is comfortable, to provide that home from home feeling. I am thrilled that their hard work is noticed and that you feel the service is outstanding. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

Your kind words that the Montague is ‘the essence of British hospitality at its best’ is most appreciated and equally motivating to read.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Simply one of the best places I've ever stayed. Everything here was fantastic, from the rooms to the location to the service. The cigar patio was wonderful, and the breakfast was a particular highlight. Close to some tube stations but honestly for the week I was there I walked most everywhere - it's that central to most of the sights.

This is definitely a service-oriented hotel so if you prefer anonymity this really isn't your place; I've stayed other places before where the staff stays out of sight and doesn't say hi, good morning, etc, and this is exactly the opposite - everyone is incredibly personable and will refer to you by "Mr." or "Ms." whatever. Very professional.

A gigantic thank you to the staff when I arrived at 5 AM my first day for letting me check in early; that nap saved my life

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Riptor3000
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent visit.

It was delightful to read that you enjoyed your time with us, noting that the Montague is one of the best places you have ever stayed.

I am pleased that you found the Cigar Terrace to be wonderful and that our breakfast in The Blue Door Bistro was a particular highlight.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always motivating to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. They take genuine interest in our guests and so I am happy that they were personable during your time with us. I am equally thrilled that we were able to assist with an early check in. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Great location close to the Tube and the British Museum! Friendly, very British atmosphere. Special request for early checkin due to medical condition was granted. Doorman is very helpful in giving directions and getting transport.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank VTMARY75
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoyed the British atmosphere.

We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. We like to make sure that our guests are comfortable and so I am pleased that we were able to offer an early check in. It is equally wonderful to read that our Doorman was very helpful when giving directions and getting transport. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Held a 90th Birthday party in the 'Large Conservatory' of the MotG; from the outset the hotel were accommodating, considerate and helpful in making the arrangements. I was somewhat concerned that the Conservatory would not be large enough - but I was reassured that many events with groups up to my numbers (35) had been held in there and I'm glad I trusted them.

The Venue was just perfect, intimate, warm and relaxed - the food was excellent generating many compliments from my guests. The staff were on hand and available without being intrusive. "Garcia" who looked after us throughout the day was just great, he couldn't have been more attentive and kind AND he took great photographs! The hotel made my Mother's day very special.

I think this is a great place for a party or a lovely stay in London, I plan to have a weekend there soon just as a treat and to do some sightseeing!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you chose to celebrate your Mothers 90th birthday with us. It is wonderful to read that you found the hotel to be perfect, intimate and warm.

Our staff like to ensure that our guests have the most comfortable and memorable time and that their event goes perfectly and so it pleases me to read that our Conference and Events team assisted you with making the party special. I am also delighted that Garcia assisted you during the day and that he took photos.

Your kind feedback from you and your guests that the food was excellent is most appreciated.

I will be sure to share all your kind comments with Garcia, the Kitchen and C&B staff and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Europe
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The hotel has a nice feeling, it's located in a quiet street with low row houses. There is a very nice garden to enjoy and a winter garden to have afternoon tea in. The rooms are quiet but very small. You can't have your bag standing open because then you won't be able to pass. The beds are very comfortable and it's clean. But, and it's a large drawback, the surrounding neighborhood isn't very nice and there is no nice restaurants around. So you have to either walk a lot or spend money on taxis or buses. The only place near is the British museum.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your recent visit.

I was sorry to read that you felt the location of the hotel wasn’t the right place for you. Our Concierge team can offer lots of recommendations for popular and suitable restaurants within reasonable distance. I would like to apologise if they did not offer more service during your stay.

I have also noted your comments with regards to the room that was allocated to you, and I would like to apologise for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room.

However, I am pleased that you found the bed to be comfortable and clean.

I am equally delighted that you felt the hotel had a nice feeling and that you had the opportunity to experience our outside areas for tea.

We hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.