“the perfect London base”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #11 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 March 2014

The Montague is excellent if you like comfort, attention to detail and friendly, cheerful service. You pay accordingly, as it is not cheap, but worth the expense (more than can be said for many over-priced London establishments). Although it has 100 rooms, the hotel feels much more intimate than that would suggest - rooms and public spaces are small scale, in keeping with the original terrace of properties. Its situation is ideal if you want to visit the British Museum - literally just around the corner from the main entrance. In-room entertainment offers good choice - we were able to catch up with a recent film release we had missed. The restaurant staff were helpful in coping with our food allergies, and we were very well looked after, especially by Anya. This was our second visit, and it now becomes an annual event.

Room Tip: Room 30 is lovely - ground floor, garden view, just round the corner from the restaurant. Can be kin...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemary S
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay with us

Your kind comment that the Montague is comfortable with a friendly and cheerful service is most appreciated. I am delighted that you were not disappointed on your second visit to the hotel.

We like to ensure that our guests are happy and have anything they may need during their time with us and so I am extremely pleased that Anja looked after you and assisted with your dietary requirement in our restaurant, the Blue Door Bistro. We always strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Having stayed at the Monty over many years on business, I was in no doubt as to where I would stay when I retired whenever my wife and I are in London. The staff at the Montague never fail to impress with their friendliness and fantastic service. They are always attentive (without being over-bearing), thoughtful and helpful. It really does feel as though you are visiting friends and you sense the staff feel that too.

All the rooms I have stayed in have been beautifully decorated and there is a wonderful homely and comfortable feel about all the public rooms that are stylishly and sumptuously furnished. The quality of the food is outstanding and the breakfasts, in particular, are a feast with everything you could wish for.

Besides the overall service quality, it is also the small touches that makes the hotel stand out: the un-prompted upgrade; the telephone call to check that everything is OK; the small gift of homemade biscuits; the personal note of welcome from the Manager; topping up the nibbles whilst having a nightcap; the waitress at breakfast getting a mango juice from the bar which was not obviously available on the breakfast table.

The hotel is ideally situated for the places we often visit including the Royal Opera House, Ray's Jazz in Foyles and the British Museum. There are loads of excellent restaurants nearby should one choose to eat out. The Concierge staff, brilliantly led by the wonderful Mustafa, will always help out with directions and, on one occasion, got scarce theatre tickets for us.

This modest-sized, boutique hotel, and by that I mean the staff really, stands head and shoulders above any other in its class I have stayed in anywhere in the world.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chris_r_miller

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the hotel.

At the Montague, we like to ensure that all of our guests whether they are visiting for business or leisure feel comfortable and at home when with us and so it is lovely to read that our efforts are noticed. Your kind comments that our staff never fail to impress and are attentive, thoughtful and helpful are most appreciated. I am especially happy that Mustafa and his team were able to assist with directions and theatre tickets for you.

It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed breakfast in our restaurant the Blue Door Bistro. Your kind words that the quality of the food is outstanding is most appreciated. We like to make sure that our guests have everything they may need or want and so I am pleased that the team arranged for you to have mango juice.

I will be delighted to pass this kind feedback on to the staff and ensure that their hard work is recognised.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed here 8th march on a quick visit to visit friends and family, and was pleasantly surprised at the luxury and service received from this boutique hotel. My room was a little on the small side, but not a problem for one person and was beautifully furnished. Had lunch on the outside terrace which was superb. Every member of staff was very attentive, especially Paulos who looked after us on the outside terrace, and made you feel very special, nothing was to much trouble. Will definitely be booking a return visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lynda T

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us whilst visiting friends and family and that you were pleasantly surprised.

I am equally thrilled that you had the opportunity to dine on the Terrace which you found superb. We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always positive to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am pleased that Paulos assisted you and that he made you feel special during your visit. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Paulos and that his service is duly noted.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

My family and I have been guests in the Montague Hotel for a long time and each time we come it is wonderful. I spent my birthday in London 2 weeks ago and I received wonderful service including a delicious cake and a very kind birthday card. As always the staff was brilliant making this occasion very special.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide. I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations, and made your birthday an occasion to remember.

I am delighted that the staff made this celebration special for you during your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

This hotel was a pleasant surprise in London. There was plenty of staff to help with your every need. The decor is beautiful and very comfortable. My room was a little small but the beautiful furnishings helped make up for that. I received a phone call to make sure all was ok with my room, then also received a visit from house keeping with complimentary home made biscuits .. Which were beautiful and a wonderful gesture. I stopped shrove Tuesday and here was a chef in the lounge area cooking complimentary pancakes. The bar area is quaint and I could spend many an hour watching the world go by. Only thing to watch out for was the pricey drinks - a house vodka was 11.50 !

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you found the Montague to be a pleasant surprise in London. Your kind comments that the decor is beautiful and that it is very comfortable are most appreciated.

I am glad that you had the opportunity to spend some time in the bar to watch ‘the world go by’. We like to celebrate special occasions and holidays so I do hope that you enjoyed one of the Chef’s complimentary pancakes!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Visited my sister here for lunch and had a fabulous time. The hotel is excellent and the attention to detail is amazing. Staff are fabulous but a special mention to Paulus who went the extra mile. I felt like a princess, nothing was too much trouble and he shone like a star!
Fantastic food, service and ambience'

This is a hidden gem and I will be back!
Well done Red Carnation Hotels!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you and your sister had a fabulous time with us when you came for lunch in The Blue Door Bistro.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always lovely to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am pleased that Paulos went the extra mile when serving you and that he ‘shone like a star’. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Paulos and that his service is duly rewarded.

Your positive comments that the food, service and ambience were fantastic are equally most appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Simply put, all was perfect. Especially the staff was extremely pleasant, maybe the most pleasant I have ever experienced. Rooms were nice and clean, food perfect, so was bar. I can only recommend and for sure I will be back soon myself.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments about your recent visit.

I am thrilled to read that you found everything perfect during your stay with us at the Montague.

Your lovely comment that the staff were the most pleasant team you have experienced is most appreciated. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and to make sure that our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

I am equally delighted that you felt the rooms were nice and clean and that the food was perfect. I will be sure to share your kind feedback with the staff.

Thank you for your positive recommendation, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.