“Fantastic, above and beyond attention to detail that ensured a great stay!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #12 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“Fantastic, above and beyond attention to detail that ensured a great stay!”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Thank you everyone at the Montague for making our weekend a memorable one! I highly recommend this hotel. Putting aside the special attention payed to me for my birthday; the complimentary upgrade to the Queen suite, the special personal messages from the staff; the rose petals in the room and in the bath along with the floating candles, the complimentary hors d'oeuvres and the presents of home-made biscuits and cuff links! this was a really enjoyable stay.
The staff were very attentive and friendly and the food at breakfast was fresh and very nice.
We have stayed at some very nice hotels in London, however this was by far the most impressive as far as service, quality and friendliness is concerned.
Thank you to everyone at the hotel from the concierge and reception staff through to the dining room and kitchen staff, the housekeepers and the management, all of which contributed to a fantastic experience.

Room Tip: The Queen suite is lovely with a nice view of the gardens.
1 Thank Trev W
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following you recent visit.

Our staff really like to make sure that our guests have a memorable and comfortable time with us here at the Montague. I am delighted to read that their efforts were noticed and that you had a enjoyable stay to celebrate your birthday. I am equally pleased that the team were attentive and friendly; I will ensure that their service and hard work is duly recognised.

Your wonderful comment that you found the Montague to be the most impressive of the hotels you had stayed in where service, quality and friendliness is concerned provides great motivation for the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (753)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had wanted to stay at this hotel for a number of years but had always chosen cheaper hotels close by in London. My husband and i were to travel onto Paris for 6 days to celebrate my birthday and so i also decided that i would finally book this hotel to make the trip even more special ...and special it was! From the moment we were met at the front door, we were welcomed by staff, who were very warm and friendly and we were made to feel relaxed and right at home. After checking in, one of the porters gave us a little introduction tour of all the downstairs areas. The King bedroom was light, bright, spacious, very comfortable and a lovely relaxing night sleep came as a result. The room was situated at the rear of the hotel, with a garden view. The sitting/television area was great with plenty of space and had numerous magazines to browse through. After spending the afternoon at The British Museum, (which is right across the road), we returned to the room to find complimentary biscuits, a personalized welcome card, a plate of savory food items, a plate of macaroons with the message of 'happy birthday' written in chocolate, oh and also a balloon. This just made my day! Breakfast the next morning was very delicious and plentiful. I will not hesitate again to book a room here and i am already planning my next trip abroad to also coincide visiting London again. Thank you to all the staff, you really do make a difference!

1 Thank MandyCardiff
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you chose to continue your birthday celebrations at the Montague on the Gardens Hotel and that we met your expectations, making this special occasion memorable.

I am delighted that the staff were welcoming and made you feel at home. The team endeavour to ensure that our guests are most comfortable during their time with us and that their stay is truly unforgettable. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the staff.

I am equally pleased that you enjoyed your room and found it to be light, spacious and very comfortable and that you experienced a relaxing night’s sleep.

Your kind comments that breakfast was very delicious and plentiful are most appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Greater Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

During our stay here for six nights not once did we have a problem or issue with the Hotel or the ever smiling and helpful staff. They establishment is exquisite and their attention to detail results in a memorable, enjoyable and relaxing stay which is surely what we all want? I would have no hesitation in recommending this to fellow travellers.

2 Thank HarareScotsman
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

At the Montague our staff endeavour to exceed our guests’ expectations of service and I am delighted to read that your stay with us was excellent. The team like to ensure that every guests stay with us is memorable and comfortable and so I am pleased that you enjoyed your time at the hotel and found it to be relaxing.

Your kind recommendation is most appreciated, thank you. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The hotel is charming and quaint with a great central location in Bloomsbury next to the British museum. Everyone on the staff is friendly and eager to help. Susanna and Tomas were exceptionally helpful and nice. The room is not large, but its clean, light, and tasteful, and small is normal for London and this price. The room was facing the back garden area. The only problem was the noise from the room above in the morning. The person was walking around alot and the floor was squeaking loudly, so I couldn't sleep past 7am in the morning. When I conveyed this to the front desk, they were understanding and offered to move me to another room. I chose not to move and the next two mornings were fine with a new, less noisy occupant. The bed was very comfortable too. The afternoon tea is the back garden room is quite pleasant and the English breakfast from room service was good and plentiful. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank CStock
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review following your recent visit.

Your feedback with regards to the noise from the guest in the room above you is appreciated. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance this would have caused. We are limited with what we are able to do with regards to noise levels within the hotel; however I have asked my Chief Engineer to investigate possible ways in which we can improve the sound proofing of our rooms without causing further disruption to our guests. Nonetheless, I am delighted that the team offered to assist with a room move.

We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. I am thrilled that Susana and Tomasz assisted you during your stay and were exceptionally helpful. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our efforts worthwhile and I will ensure that their service is duly noted.

I am equally pleased that you had the opportunity to experience our afternoon tea and that you felt breakfast was good and plentiful.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I had visited this hotel last year on business and it was so nice that I decided to bring my husband back for a surprise weekend to celebrate his birthday. We had one of the Bloomsbury weekend packages which includes champagne and complimentary 'tea'. My husband was very impressed with the hotel, as was I and although the rooms are small it wasn't a problem - the ambience, staff, decor and attention more than make up for it. Best thing about the hotel - the personal attention given by the staff - they always make you feel like you are the most important person in the world: the quality of the staff services is the best we have encountered. The worst thing - the 12.5% service charge in the bar. We could have done without the complimentary tea as neither my husband nor I like tea or cakes and we're not that keen on sandwiches either. However as it was free we could not miss out and ended up too full to have dinner (so saved a bit of money!). I am thinking of booking for the same weekend next year as we had such a good time, but will have to count the pennies.

2 Thank lauran1902
Dear guest,

As much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your husband’s birthday an occasion to remember.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always motivating to receive such positive comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am pleased that they were attentive during your time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The Montague is the quintessential dream of a boutique holiday. It comes with whimsical, quaint furniture, international and attentive staff, a great location and a wholesome breakfast set in a cosy bistro. Just a stone's throw from the British museum you are in a quieter part of Central London but basically just around the corner from Soho. I shelled out a few quid more which was really worth it - the room I had chosen had a comfy four poster bed but with a footboard which is difficult for me as I am rather tall. Reception would have moved me to another room immediately, but I chose an upgrade instead. Well worth it. There was live music in the bar when I arrived which gave the place a very laid back atmosphere. Definitely one to return to.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OliverJavert
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent visit.

I am thrilled that you found the Montague to be the quintessential dream of a boutique holiday and the staff to be attentive, your feedback is most appreciated.

We understand that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and so I am pleased that you felt it was wholesome.

It is equally delightful to read that you had the opportunity to enjoy the live pianist in the bar in the evenings.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 29 March 2014

There is nothing to fault when it comes to the staff, the breakfast and the ambience. From the moment we walked in, everyone made us feel at home. Ours was a romantic getaway and at £225 for our room we had high hopes. But it was small. Very small. Perfect in decor and facilities but small, small, small. I even asked at reception if our room was a double as at one point, I thought it might be a single and there had been a mistake. But no. My husband is very tall and did not sleep well at all as space was limited.
If we were staying again, we would save up, pay more and get a suite. We would also ask for a room with a view over the gardens.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view over the gardens and go for more than a standard double.
2 Thank AnitaBreak41
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent stay.

I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the discomfort this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room.

However, I am delighted to read that you found that there was nothing to fault about the staff, breakfast and ambience. The team like to ensure that everyone feels welcome at the Montague and so I am pleased that their efforts were noticed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.