“Home away from home”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Nestled between Russell Sq and the British Museum, this small hotel is ideally located in the Bloomsbury area. My room on the second floor was very comfortable looking out over the gardens. The staff are very friendly and helpful land the bar and restaurant are first class. If you're looking for a very personal hotel stay in this end of London, this is well worth considering.

Room Tip: Watch out for rooms with internal stairs
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Started
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found your room on the second floor to be comfortable.

We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that the staff were very friendly and helpful. I shall ensure that all of your kind feedback and praise are passed on to the team.

Your kind comments that the Terrace Bar and restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro are first class are highly appreciated.

I would like to thank you for your positive recommendation of the Montague to others if they are looking for a very personal hotel.

I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Utah
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Kind of our third visit to The Montague (the first two visits were in the same week). All the staff are pleasant and helpful, especially the dining room attendants. It's a very convenient location -- 4 different tube lines are an easy walk away and a short walk back from most theaters. The rooms are comfortable (best hotel bed I have slept in), and surprisingly quiet for a busy neighborhood. Really, splurge a little, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for off the street.
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent stay with us.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely significant to us as it helps us to develop the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore thrilled that we have once again met your expectations, and made your return stay an enjoyable occasion.

Your kind comments that the staff are pleasant and helpful; especially the dining team are most appreciated. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is motivating to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I am equally thrilled that you find the rooms, particularly the beds to be most comfortable.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Co Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 4 April 2014

First the good parts - the hotel has a great location in Bloomsbury, close to the British Museum and within easy walking distance of Covent Garden/Soho etc; the public areas are lovely with lots of nice spots to sit down and relax; the welcome and friendliness from the reception team (front door, concierge and especially Leti on the reception desk - hope I got her name right) were all absolutely first rate; lots of nice touches (hand written note, beautiful cookies at bed time etc); the bathroom was great (ambient blue lighting at night time and a clever non slip surface sprayed onto the bath) with a lovely bath/shower, comfy bathrobes and lovely toiletries.

Now for the bad parts - we were in room 224 (facing the street) and it was tiny for a double room. The decor was great and a large mirror was cleverly positioned to try to make the room feel bigger but it was so small that it felt positively claustrophobic - if one person was standing up, you couldn't get by, very little room around the bed, which was very small itself for a double. The expression 'you couldn't swing a cat in it' sprung to mind. We actually went down to reception and asked if we had been given a single room by mistake but were told that it was a standard size. The television was small (had to be small to be in proportion with the room) and there was very little table top space to put the delivered continental breakfast (thankfully only for one) anywhere.

I appreciate that the hotel is constrained by its architecture, and the designers have done the best they can with the limited space, but consideration should really be given to at least warning customers of the space limitations with the smaller rooms - we wouldn't have wanted to stay a second night in it (and if you can afford it, book a larger room if planning to stay for a few days).

The second major issue was the noise from the room above. The guest(s) staying directly above us were walking about from 6.00am and the floorboards were very creaky and noisy, meaning that we were awake two hours earlier than planned. Very annoying for what was meant to be a quiet, relaxing night away from the kids! There definitely needs to be far better sound proofing.

Lastly the service and here it was really a case of absolutely outstanding on day one but then, perhaps having been spoiled, day two proved a letdown. On the first day my wife sat in the reception lounge area and was treated like royalty, continually fussed over (in a nice way) and offered free tea/coffee and even cake - well above and beyond what you would normally expect. On day two, in virtually the same spot and for a longer period of many hours, she was completely ignored and never even once approached by a member of staff. There were preparations going on for a big function that day but it really was like from one extreme to the other! And secondly at breakfast, my wife asked to sit at a table near the window with a lovely view which had a few items left on it and was told she couldn't sit there because it needed to be cleaned. Fair enough, but two minutes later another couple repeated the same request to the same member of staff and (though there were still other available prepared tables) were told that was fine and she immediately cleaned the table for them. Talk about being made to feel second class! Minor quibbles really, but on top on a very shortened and uncomfortable night's sleep, enough to turn what was in may ways a five start hotel into a somewhat disappointing three star experience.

Room Tip: Avoid room 224 - very small - and book a bigger room if staying for several days
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent visit.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment you experienced with regards to the room that was allocated to you. Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room.

Thank you also for your feedback with regards to the noise from the guest in the room above you and the floorboards. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance this would have caused. We are limited with what we are able to do with regards to noise levels within the hotel.

We pride ourselves in excellent customer care and service at The Montague and anything less is not acceptable. I was extremely disappointed to read about the inconsistent service you experienced during your stay in both the lounge and at breakfast.

I have spoken to each relevant HOD to ensure that these areas are looked into and that remedial action is taken to avoid disappointment for our guests in the future. The team will provide further training in these areas and the maintenance will be thoroughly checked throughout the hotel.

However, I am pleased that you found the public areas to be nice spot to sit and relax and that the Reception team, especially Leti were welcoming and friendly. I am equally happy that you felt the bathroom in your room was great and you enjoyed the amenities provided.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back and to restore your faith in the Montague.

Singapore
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed at the Montague for four nights in March with our three children, and the hotel itself was the highlight of the trip. The rooms are charming, the breakfast buffet is excellent, and the location is ideal. However, the best part is the staff. From the moment we walked in the door, the staff treated us like royalty. (Literally, for our four-year-old son, who is going through a prince phase). Every night, there were gifts, goodies, and personalized notes for the family. They gave our four-year-old Montague teddy bears, kid-sized slippers, and coloring books. Special thanks to Leti, Luke, Daria, and Lucia, who let our son help out with the buffet and made him an honorary member of the staff when we left, presenting him with a Montague badge with his name on it and a certificate saying he had completed an internship with the hotel. If you have young children, there is nowhere else to stay! We loved it!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank ExpatFamilySing
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your recent visit.

Here at the Montague we like to ensure that every guest has a memorable stay with us, especially our younger visitors. I am thrilled that your children enjoyed the amenities that we provided during their time with us.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I was delighted that Leti, Luke, Daria and Lucia made sure that your son had a truly special stay and rewarded him for his ‘work experience’ on departure. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to team and that their service is duly rewarded.

Your positive comments that that the breakfast in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro was excellent is equally most appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming your family back to the hotel again.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

This is an old hotel by the British Museum. I had a suite facing the gardens at the back and it was very quiet. The service was excellent. Whatever item I needed or small repair was done promptly and graciously. Breakfast was great -- and so is room service. I really liked Bea Tolman's special recipes! We were spoiled with a lovely gift basket on day one, followed by daily canapes. This is a really special hotel and highly recommended for its charm and topknotch service. Keep up the good work, Red Carnation!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the garden side. I was in the Lady room on the first floor -- lovely large wind...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alexandra B
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your stay at the Montague.

Your comments regarding our service are highly appreciated. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

I am equally thrilled that you enjoyed Bea Tollman’s recipes in our restaurant, The Blue Door Bistro.

I would like to thank you for your positive recommendation for our charm and top-notch service.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Boston
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Thank you everyone at the Montague for making our weekend a memorable one! I highly recommend this hotel. Putting aside the special attention payed to me for my birthday; the complimentary upgrade to the Queen suite, the special personal messages from the staff; the rose petals in the room and in the bath along with the floating candles, the complimentary hors d'oeuvres and the presents of home-made biscuits and cuff links! this was a really enjoyable stay.
The staff were very attentive and friendly and the food at breakfast was fresh and very nice.
We have stayed at some very nice hotels in London, however this was by far the most impressive as far as service, quality and friendliness is concerned.
Thank you to everyone at the hotel from the concierge and reception staff through to the dining room and kitchen staff, the housekeepers and the management, all of which contributed to a fantastic experience.

Room Tip: The Queen suite is lovely with a nice view of the gardens.
1 Thank Trev W
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following you recent visit.

Our staff really like to make sure that our guests have a memorable and comfortable time with us here at the Montague. I am delighted to read that their efforts were noticed and that you had a enjoyable stay to celebrate your birthday. I am equally pleased that the team were attentive and friendly; I will ensure that their service and hard work is duly recognised.

Your wonderful comment that you found the Montague to be the most impressive of the hotels you had stayed in where service, quality and friendliness is concerned provides great motivation for the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cardiff
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I had wanted to stay at this hotel for a number of years but had always chosen cheaper hotels close by in London. My husband and i were to travel onto Paris for 6 days to celebrate my birthday and so i also decided that i would finally book this hotel to make the trip even more special ...and special it was! From the moment we were met at the front door, we were welcomed by staff, who were very warm and friendly and we were made to feel relaxed and right at home. After checking in, one of the porters gave us a little introduction tour of all the downstairs areas. The King bedroom was light, bright, spacious, very comfortable and a lovely relaxing night sleep came as a result. The room was situated at the rear of the hotel, with a garden view. The sitting/television area was great with plenty of space and had numerous magazines to browse through. After spending the afternoon at The British Museum, (which is right across the road), we returned to the room to find complimentary biscuits, a personalized welcome card, a plate of savory food items, a plate of macaroons with the message of 'happy birthday' written in chocolate, oh and also a balloon. This just made my day! Breakfast the next morning was very delicious and plentiful. I will not hesitate again to book a room here and i am already planning my next trip abroad to also coincide visiting London again. Thank you to all the staff, you really do make a difference!

1 Thank MandyCardiff
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you chose to continue your birthday celebrations at the Montague on the Gardens Hotel and that we met your expectations, making this special occasion memorable.

I am delighted that the staff were welcoming and made you feel at home. The team endeavour to ensure that our guests are most comfortable during their time with us and that their stay is truly unforgettable. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the staff.

I am equally pleased that you enjoyed your room and found it to be light, spacious and very comfortable and that you experienced a relaxing night’s sleep.

Your kind comments that breakfast was very delicious and plentiful are most appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.