“Just not my style”

GreenLeadersGold level
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Just not my style”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The greeting was very pleasant, helpful and accommodating. The room decor was certainly unique with embossed 'fabric wallpaper' the furnishings were OK, maybe it was the lolly pink curtains that were too feminine (and I am very female), that just did not work for me. The corridors are small and relatively busy, it was a Saturday night.

I cannot fault the staff, nothing was a trouble

The location is great I could walk to sights and shopping, access to transport is excellent and the front desk very obliging with helpful information

I was disappointed - the best explanation is that I felt closed in, I like the feeling of openness and light; I simply found the dark wood in the entrance room oppressive and the room a little too congested.

Hotels in London are very expensive and I realize space is a valuable commodity, I have stayed in smaller rooms in London and not felt quite so closed in

Sorry not to be so positive as many other reviews

Room Tip: Perhaps check the floor space iif you are a little claustrophobic like me! All rooms appear to be...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank FranEH1204
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your visit to the Montague.

I was sorry to read that you didn’t have a fully comfortable stay with us. We are limited with what we can do with regards to space being an older style Georgian townhouse. We have a wide selection of rooms of different sizes and decor and I would like to apologise for the disappointment caused with regards to the room you were allocated.

However, I am pleased to read that you could not fault the staff and that nothing was too much trouble for them. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed and so your kind comments are most appreciated.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 15 April 2014

If you love superb and original decoration, try this hotel. It is a pleasure for the senses, all five senses. And each room or suite keeps the standard. Housekeeping is most reliable and kind. The pub is cozy, secluded and silent. The view of the gardens is something to enjoy. You may find the closets a bit tiny for American standards, but all the rest makes you forget about this. Take a look at all the other rooms if the door is open, and you may get inspiration for your own home. For business trips, or vacation, the best, in my opinion, hotel in London. congrats to all the Montague on the Gardens staff, from the manager to the bellman. All of them make a difference.

Room Tip: Try the ones that are on the first floor, with the bathroom and sitting area and desk downstairs, on...
Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank StellaPilar
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

Your kind comments about the decor are most appreciated; I am delighted that you found it to be superb and original. Our owners spend a lot of time trying to make each room unique and perfect and I am delighted that their efforts have been noticed. I am equally pleased that you enjoyed your time spent in the Bar and felt it was cozy, secluded and silent.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours and so I am thrilled that they make a difference, especially the Housekeeping team who were kind and reliable, I will be sure to share this motivating feedback with them.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in January for our mini moon for 3 nights!! Was fantastic ! Although we were it most of the days the room was beautiful .. When we returned at night there were canapés and fruit left for us and on our first night we returned to find a bath filled and rose petals!? Breakfast was a delight and the staff brilliant. Location perfect also I would definitely use this hotel again!!!

X

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Beaney1980
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

Many congratulations to you both on your recent wedding. I am delighted that you chose to celebrate your ‘mini moon’ with us at the Montague and had a fantastic stay.

It is wonderful to read that you found your room to be beautiful and that you enjoyed the romantic turndown we prepared for you.

Your kind comments that the breakfast was a delight and that the staff were brilliant are most appreciated. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team

I look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel in the near future.

zurich
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The price here is average for London hotel in this location (right next to British Museum). The decor is very "stuffy" (lots of flowers, patterns, although some people might like this as very "english" to me it was a bit over the top). Generally the rooms were clean and welcoming and the bed & linen good quality. I had major problems with internet (I have an apple computer) - although the staff at the Montague could not have been nicer or more helpful, the IT service provider was not very responsive or good. I would say this is a nice hotel, especially for older people, but not somewhere I would recommend for business.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank thzurich
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent visit.

I was really very sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations of a ‘business hotel’ following your stay. I am equally sorry for your disappointment with regards to the decor of the hotel. We often get compliments for the quintessential British style of the hotel; however I do understand that this can sometimes not be to the taste of all guests.

I would also like to apologise for the problems you experienced with the Wi-Fi and your Apple computer. We are currently undergoing an upgrade of our system so that problems such as these should not occur in future.

However, I am pleased that you found the rooms to be clean and welcoming and that you felt the bed was comfortable.

We are very proud of our staff and it is pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am delighted that they assisted you with the issues with the Wi-Fi and that they couldn’t have been nicer or more helpful.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back as perhaps a leisure guest.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and three friends stayed as part of a ''before'' wedding weekend. The genuine friendly attention by all staff made for an exceptionally memorable weekend which I know they will remember for a long time. I cannot speak too highly of Charlotte and the other reservation staff for sorting everything for me especially as I had to do all arrangements by email due to working in a remote area. Everything was answered and organized perfectly. Staff at the Montague come deservedly above 5.Impressed and grateful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TonyO22
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for sharing your lovely comments about your recent visit.

I am delighted that your wife and friends enjoyed their stay at the Montague. Our staff like to ensure that our guests have everything they may need and that they have a memorable time with us. It is wonderful to know that their efforts were noticed.

Your kind feedback that Charlotte and the team assisted you prior to their stay is most appreciated. I am pleased that everything was answered and organised perfectly. We aim to go beyond our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly rewarded.

I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming your wife, friends and also yourself back to the hotel soon.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Montague on the Gardens for two nights and couldn't have been happier. The room was lovely and the bed extremely comfortable, but the best part was certainly the high level of customer service by the staff.

The front desk people were very welcoming and the concierge extremely helpful. The staff at the restaurants/bar were friendly and attentive.

While there, my husband celebrated his birthday and the staff went above and beyond! A delicious birthday treat and serenading with happy birthday was a lovely surprise.

The food was delicious and afternoon tea was a real treat. I would highly recommend this hotel both as a peacefully well located base for a London holiday and as a great example of what customer service should look like.

Thanks for the great stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Montesgal
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

It is wonderful to read that you chose to celebrate your husband’s birthday with us and that it was a memorable occasion.

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Montague and that you found the room to be lovely and that the bed was extremely comfortable.

We are very proud of our staff and it is motivating to receive such kind comments as yours. I am thrilled that the staff were welcoming and helpful particularly the Front Desk, Concierge and Restaurant teams. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are shared with the staff.

I am pleased that you had the opportunity to experience our afternoon tea and thought the food was delicious.

Thank you for your positive recommendation, I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We had a wonderful four nights here when in London celebrating my birthday.Every member of staff was helpful and pleasant and they made that extra effort which means so much.Would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a hotel in London. Great situation for sightseeing and plenty of places to eat within walking distance .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with redspottedhanky.com

2 Thank Patricia D
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review regarding your recent visit.

As much-valued guests, your comments are extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore thrilled that we have met your expectations and made your birthday an occasion to remember.

Thank you for your comments that the staff were helpful and pleasant. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Your positive recommendation is highly appreciated, I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.