“Perfect location, exceptional service”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We recently spent three days in London as part of our five week honeymoon. The Montague on the Gardens was an absolute delight!
Located in beautiful Bloomsbury, we found it a perfect base from which to explore the city. We chose to walk, however there is plenty of public transport nearby.
We were lucky to be upgraded to a junior suite which was greatly appreciated - it meant we had a small sitting room and big luxurious bathroom, including a full sized bath which was very relaxing
The decor was traditional and in keeping with the architecture. Whilst the appearance, facilities and location were all great, it was the staff which really made our experience a good one.
We were thrilled to receive a hand written and signed card from the senior staff, accompanied by some delicious little morsels congratulating us on our wedding, wishing us a happy honeymoon and happy future - little touches like that make lasting memories and happy customers!
The only fault (and it's a fault of practically every hotel) was the quality of the hair dryer. As a frequent traveller for work and leisure, I'm constantly dismayed to find the only expense that is spared seems to be on hair dryers. The one in our room was not good at all, but a bad hair day was insignificant!
Thank you Sebastian and everyone at The Montague on the Gardens for making the London leg of our honeymoon so enjoyable

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

Congratulations on your wedding, I am thrilled that you chose to spend part of your honeymoon with us at the Montague and that you found it to be an absolute delight.

I am pleased that you were happy with your room, especially the full sized bath in which you could relax. I would equally like to thank you for sharing your feedback with regards to the hairdryer. I will pass this on to our Executive Housekeeper to look into.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is motivating to know that these efforts are noticed. I am delighted that Sebastian and the team assisted you during your stay and that they made it so enjoyable. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on and that their service is duly noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,354)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just had afternoon tea at this hotel. The tea options were great with the chance to smell and see all of the tealeaves. The champagne was unlimited at an additional cost but more than worth it. Service was second to none. We were offerered as many refills on the food as we liked. After to going for afternoon tea for over 16 years this is definitely a favourite. Most certainly recommended. Marmite sandwiches and cheese on toast were provided on request. Thankyou Luke
Aherene.

• Stayed: April 2014
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit to the Montague.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea with us and that we are one of your favourite places.

We like to ensure that our guests have a full experience and so we like to ensure that they get the opportunity to have what they want. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed the marmite sandwiches and cheese on toast during your visit. I am equally pleased that you were happy with the choice of teas available and the champagne.

I will share your gratitude with Luke who will be most appreciative.

Thank you for your positive recommendation, I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Just spent 2 nights in this hotel which has now become my London hotel of choice! Great location and without doubt the most friendly hotel we have experienced anywhere - all the staff live and breathe customer service. Lovely building full of charm and welcoming places to sit and relax. I particularly appreciated being welcomed back like an old friend by the concierge when we finally got back from the theatre last night! The nightcap in the bar was the perfect end to a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on the compact and bijou side - fine with us but if you like space you might want to as...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you feel the Montague is your London hotel of choice!

Your comments regarding our staff are highly appreciated. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. The team take genuine interest in our guests and so I am thrilled that they were friendly and welcomed you like old friends.

I am equally pleased that you were able to relax in our public areas and that you especially enjoyed a nightcap in the bar to end your perfect stay!

I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Montague.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We love this hotel. It is our 5th vacation here. Thank you Dirk, Mustafa, Jorge,Tommy and Santos for all your help. Service here is the best of any other places in Longon and around Eur. that we have stayed. Hotel is spotlessly clean. We love the location and feel safe walking back in the evening after the theatre.
Hope to see you all again next year

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ronadebra

Dear guest,

Thank you for your nice review following your recent visit.

As regular and much valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your stay with us an occasion to remember.

Your kind comments that Mustafa, Jorge, Tommy and Sandor were helpful during your time with us are most appreciated and provides great motivation for the team. Our staff like to ensure that our guests have everything they may need and so I am pleased that they could assist you.

I am equally pleased that you found the hotel to be spotlessly clean, I will share this feedback with the Housekeeping team, who will be most grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed in The Montague on The Gardens for 8 days. We got a very small room at first, but the staff there helped us to change to a larger room with a sofa bed and a king bed. The rooms were a bit old but clean. The location is excellent -- next to British Museum and very close to 3 tube stations. It is also very quiet and not crowded throughout the whole day. An excellent stay. I would recommend to stay here if you like small hotels and museums.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sych2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review following your visit to the Montague.

I was very sorry to read that you were not entirely happy with the first room that was allocated to you, finding it to be small. However, I am delighted that the team assisted in helping you to move to a much more comfortable and more suitable room.

I am pleased that you found that the rooms were clean and the location of the hotel suited your needs.

Your recommendation is most appreciated and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Been london twice but first time spending my mum's birthday here and they had a sweet surprise for her.thanks for the great team!
Room is clean with great service and decorations are so historic..location is great even walked alone in late night is still fine:) definitely will come again

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank ChloeYip129

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your lovely review following your recent visit.

I am thrilled that you chose to spend your mother’s birthday with us and I am delighted that we have met your expectations, making her special day an occasion to remember.

I am delighted that you found the room to be clean and that the service was great.

Our staff like to ensure that everyone has a memorable and comfortable stay and so I will be sure to share your kind feedback with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

A very recommendable choice when staying in London - almost perfect in any respect, maybe just perfect! Rooms, breakfast, restaurant, staff service was just excellent. The location is good both in terms of eating out, visit shops and museums, and public infrastructure.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sthan1972

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you had a perfect stay with us at the Montague. I am extremely pleased that you found the rooms, breakfast in the Blue Door Bistro and the service to be excellent.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is motivating to know that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

Your kind recommendation is highly appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.