The Montague on The Gardens
US$278
US$229
Official Site
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
US$134
US$121
  • Restaurant
Days Hotel London- Waterloo(London)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$94
Travelocity
US$127
PremierInn.com
4,453 results
All reviewsbritish museumblue door bistroafternoon tealeopard barrussell squarered carnationcharming hotelquiet streetbirthday cardcovent gardenthe general managerconcierge staffturn down servicelittle toucheswest endjunior suiterooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We wrapped up our UK/Scotland trip in London with three GREAT nights at The Montague. My wife and I were celebrating a second honeymoon and the staff at the hotel made it very special. First of all, we showed up early (9am) after taking the overnight train from Inverness and the hotel had a room ready for us. That was the first of a number of very pleasant surprises we enjoyed over the course of our stay. The room was beautiful (room 116) and comfortable. We normally stay in Mayfair and took a chance on Bloomsbury as our tastes have changed a bit and we enjoy staying in more "neighborhoody" areas of large cities. We loved the location and took our morning walks in Russell Square every day. This is an excellent location…very quiet, safe and close walking distance to restaurants, shopping etc. Oh, and it's literally across the street from the British Museum.
The real highlight of the property was the staff. We stay in lots of nice places and have no problem paying for service. It is rare to get the kind of hospitable and warm treatment we experienced at The Montague. We are completely ruined and spoiled as I don't think it is possible for any other hotel to come close to the standard set during our stay. As I said, it was a second honeymoon and upon our return to the hotel after dinner on our first night, the room was done up with rose petals, candles, chocolates, and a drawn bath. Also there was a heart shaped arrangement of towels on the bed. Amazing…they made our dinner reservation so they knew we'd be out for a while and went in to our room and did all of that for us. It was like staying in the home of really good and thoughtful friends. They even left a card for us signed by the staff. Seriously? I'm not being sarcastic…I don't think The Ritz would be as attentive and thoughtful. In fact, we came back to our room before we headed to dinner every night and there was a little something to nibble on waiting for us. We felt like honored guests which is incredible since everyone who stays here feels the same way. It really shows how dedicated they are to delivering an outstanding guest experience.
Lastly, the concierge, Sebastien, was incredibly helpful to us and made great dinner recommendations and confirmed our car arrangements for our departure to Heathrow.
I know I'm gushing here a bit and maybe people will think our standards might not be that high, but we have stayed at St Regis, JW Marriott, Intercontinental, and Ritz properties in the past on special occasions and although we were repeat guests, they didn't deliver nearly as good an experience for us as the Montague did. The staff at the Montague clearly understand that they are in the business of taking care of people and they do that in a way that is very hard to find at any price.
We will be back for sure! Thanks to the staff of the Montague for making our second honeymoon even more special than our first!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review following your recent visit.

I am delighted that you and your wife chose to celebrate your second honeymoon with us at the Montague and that we assisted in making it more special than the first.

We understand that after a long journey our guests would like to rest and so I am pleased that we could offer you a room that you were able to use immediately and that you found it to be beautiful and comfortable.

I am pleased that you felt the staff were hospitable and warm. It is equally great to read that Sebastian was helpful and assisted you with dinner recommendations and confirmed your car arrangements to the airport. The team work hard to ensure that every guest’s stay with us is memorable and we are very proud of them and the service that they provide. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Sebastian and the team and that their service is duly noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My friend and I had a perfectly wonderful experience here. We were certain that her many dietary requirements (vegetarian, very allergic to not only gluten but almonds) would prevent us from having a true English high tea during our trip to England. The Montague served her an amazing traditional tea- tea sandwiches and scones included- and the service was excellent!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Laura A

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review following your visit to the Montague.

At the Montague we pride ourselves on exceptional service and so I am thrilled that you and your friend had a wonderful afternoon tea experience with us.

It is important to us that each guest has everything they may need or want when visiting and so I am delighted that we were able to meet your friend’s dietary requirements and that she found the offering to be an amazing traditional afternoon tea.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

This was my third visit to the Montague--I always feel reluctant to check out and start planning my next stay immediately. The service was again superb, and it was so lovely to be recognized by at least four of the staff from previous visits. That was surprising enough, but to be asked how things were going with family, etc., things we had discussed on the last visit in November, that shows real engagement from the staff!! The breakfast buffet was again delightful, and the made-to-order omelette delicious. Lucia, the breakfast hostess, is the epitome of serene efficiency and grace.

The concierge staff were outstandingly helpful, and I'd like to thank Mostofa for recommending a spectacular day out to Greenwich, including the river cruise.

We have stayed in both standard rooms and junior suites. This time, though beautifully appointed as usual, our room was a little cramped and we had to remind ourselves not to open our wardrobe door too widely lest it bang against the hinge for our main door. We would have asked for a larger room, had we not already been told the hotel was fully booked. But this is a minor quibble given the care and attention to detail which distinguishes the Montague. Every request is anticipated and nothing is too much trouble--even my husband's request for large business envelopes was greeted with "how many?"

Thanks to all the wonderful staff, to the hotel manager Mr Crockaert who greets guests each morning in the lobby, but especially to the following for their special attention: Tommy, Mostofa, Sheilagh, Lucia, and the ever-smiling Andrew.

Room Tip: Each room is unique and well insulated against noise.
Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

As regular and much-valued guests, your feedback is extremely important to us as it helps us to improve the services and facilities that we provide and I am therefore delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your stay an occasion to remember.

We are very proud of our staff at The Montague, who take genuine interest in our guests and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am thrilled that you enjoyed Mustafa’s recommendation of a visit to Greenwich including the river boat cruise. I am equally pleased that Tommy, Lucia and Andrew were pleasant during your time with us.

It is important for us to be sure that our guests have everything they may need and so it was lovely to read that we could assist with business envelopes for your husband.

Your kind words that breakfast was delightful and that your omelette was particularly delicious is most appreciated.

We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is rewarding to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly recognised.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Super comfortable four poster bed, spotlessly clean, lots of little extras – biscuits, real coffee with French press/plunger, excellent breakfast, great location. The hotel is old style comfort, antiques everywhere, old oil paintings etc… The attractive girl in the portrait looking down on me from the wall at the side of my bed may have forgotten to wear her top, but the partial nude painting was very easy to admire, I’ll attempt to post the photo but TA may not allow such images. It is an interesting choice of painting but it may not be to everybody’s taste.

There seemed to be a lot of staff, all were very friendly, doors were opened on your arrival, you were welcomed back every time you re-entered the hotel and personal greetings were metered out liberally at breakfast. Personally I found the superfluous of staff greeting you at every turn a little unnerving, but it goes with the old world, luxury, “Downton Abbey” type feel that the hotel seems to be going for.

But for stg£200 a night it was a tiny room. Think no bedside table - there was not enough room. There was a small bed side pedestal, you had to move the phone to the floor to fit an alarm clock on the pedestal. I realize that it is central London, space is at a premium, but this was almost claustrophobic. If the room was of a standard size, the grade would be 5 and not 4.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cultural-Weekenders

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I have noted your comments with regards to the room that was allocated to you and I would like to apologise for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style property, our room layouts and sizes do vary. Please would you mention that you prefer a larger room when you are next making a booking and we will ensure that, subject to availability, you are allocated a more spacious room. However, I am equally pleased that you found the bed to be super comfortable and that the hotel was spotlessly clean.

I am delighted that the staff were very friendly and welcoming. We pride ourselves on exceptional service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Second time we stayed at the Montague on the Gardens. The service was exceptional and we love the location. We like to walk in London and most places shoppers or culture lovers wish to go are accessible by foot. And the Bloomsbury area is lovely in itself, with many restaurants and pubs to experience. But we like the Montague's service, where they treat you like an old friend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent visit.

As a returning guest I am delighted that we have once again met your expectations.

Our staff take great interest to ensure that our guests feel comfortable when staying with us and so I am thrilled that you felt treated like an old friend. I am equally pleased that the service was exceptional. I shall be sure to share this kind feedback with the team.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.