“A hotel that delivers an exceptional experience.”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #12 of 1,067 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego
“A hotel that delivers an exceptional experience.”
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed four nights in room 203. From the moment we arrived we were treated to amazing service. Paul greeted us upon arrival and made us feel right at home. Sebastian at the concierge's desk got us hard to get theatre tickets and even got a shoe mended. Daria and her team were welcoming, attentive and friendly. The central location made it easy to go sightseeing. We look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank SanDiegoMabel
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments following your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in room 203 and that you were treated to amazing service.

Your comments regarding our staff are most appreciated, we invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care and make sure our guests leave us feeling they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile. I am especially pleased that Paul made you feel welcome and at home and that Daria was also welcoming, attentive and friendly. I am equally pleased that Sebastian was helpful by assisting with theatre tickets and having a shoe fixed. I will ensure that their service is duly noted.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.

Dirk Crokaert

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (752)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I have stayed at The Montague twice now. We really enjoy the ambience of the hotel. Located on a quiet street just around the corner from the British Museum, the property exudes British charm and taste. Others have commented with enthusiasm about this special hotel so I will only list the things about the hotel that are extraordinary and keep us coming back, and the things we wish were a tad better.

The staff is great--friendly and helpful. (The concierge desk printed out our boarding passes, secured the car service to take us to the airport, and took our order for early morning coffee to take with us.) Patrik, in his top hat and tails, always welcomed us back to the hotel after a long day of sightseeing, as did everyone else at the front desk.

The rooms are delightfully decorated with eccentric British printed fabric walls and fully stocked with amenities, including a desk drawer with a stapler, scissors, tape and such like. The bathrooms have huge, fluffy towels and the hotel provides a soft, cozy robe and slippers.The sheets and duvet are luxurious.

So that's all fabulous. However, the standard room is tiny, tiny, tiny…so tiny that to get around the bed to the bathroom, one person has to stand out of the way to allow the other to pass. Of course, one could pay more for a king room. We did not. We learned that a week in a tiny room with a tiny bed is a challenge. Next time we will upgrade to a king.

The other thing I wish was a bit better was the touted "full English breakfast." It was the same every morning. Slightly greasy bacon, a not very appealing select of tired fruit and the same not very good Muesli. That having been said, the full breakfast includes eggs to taste and the kitchen makes an excellent--non-greasy--fried egg that became our staple. And again, the staff here in the breakfast room is wonderful.

So…to recap: if you pay more, you will get a bigger room and if you don't mind a very average, not very fresh breakfast this is the place. Quiet, elegant, with a view out to a lovely garden in the back and a wonderful staff.

Room Tip: Room 327 has a view of the gardens in the back of the hotel. But it's a tiny room!
1 Thank loveitaly10
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review following your recent visit.

I was happy to read that as returning guests, you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us and the ambience of the hotel.

Although I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused. Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. If you would care to mention that you would prefer a larger room when next making a booking with us, we will, subject to availability, allocate a more spacious room. However, I am pleased that you found it to be beautifully decorated, fully stocked with amenities and felt that the linens were luxurious.

I would also like to apologise for the bad experience at breakfast. I have shared your feedback with the Executive Chef who will ensure that the breakfast is kept to a higher standard. I was however, pleased that you enjoyed the eggs that are made to order.

Your kind comments that the staff are friendly and helpful is most appreciated. I am especially pleased that the Concierge team assisted with printing boarding passes and transfers and that Patrik always welcomed you back to the hotel. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My husband and I just returned home after a totally delightful stay at the Montague. We cannot rave enough about the superior quality of all the staff and the comfort and pleasure we experienced in our garden facing suite. The suite was a perfect space for a longer than average stay and was an upgrade offered by Susana at Reception that we were so grateful for. Susana is a treasure!!! Her warmth, kindness and perfect helpfulness were beyond measure. Another most lovely staff member was Daria who tended to our every request and, even more so, for the daily breakfasts we just loved. We will miss Daria and Susana and will happily return to the Montague for any future London visits!

2 Thank PattiS4
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your kind review following your recent visit.

I was pleased to read that you and your husband enjoyed a delightful stay with us and that you found your room to be comfortable.

We are very proud of our staff at The Montague and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that Susana was warm, kind and helpful and that Daria tended to every request. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to Susana and Daria and that their service is duly recognized.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed at the Montague the night of our wedding. We were so looking forward to staying here because of all the gushing reviews on Tripadvisor. We felt sure that we were in for a treat.

We stayed in the 'Lady Suite', on the first floor. We had been previously shown the 'Duke Suite' which was such a depressing brown colour (it was our wedding day!) and so tired and unattractive that we asked if we could move. The lady suite was a little better in terms of the decor but the layout and design was poor e.g. a mirror opposite the loo that means you stare at yourself when you're on the toilet(!); a dressing table against a wall where there is no light. In the afternoon, while we were getting ready, we wanted to listen to the radio and were shocked to find that you have to pay extra if you want TV/radio. Another point about this particular room is that there is a noisy extractor fan just outside. It meant a poor night's sleep despite pillows and sheets against the window to muffle the noise.

When we returned after the wedding we found that the room had been 'decorated'. I don't want to sound ungrateful but I found the whole thing tacky and off-putting, with little thought put into it (e.g. candles in the bath had burnt out and left a mess, small bits of unappetizing food left out uncovered to go dry, bathmats next to the bed). I can't tell you how sorry and unappealing the room looked. I appreciate that the management want to show that they are making a special effort but everything gave the impression of the opposite - that staff were going through the motions, doing the exact same thing for all 'special' guests without any thought or care.

Finally, the afternoon tea was distinctly average (with a big, fat fingerprint on one of the cakes) and more disappointingly, the breakfast buffet was very poor quality (of the sort you would expect from a budget or chain hotel) - eggs were tasteless, smoked salmon was the very cheapest quality, supermarket sliced bread toast.

We were so disappointed. We really don't want other people to make the same mistake. There is really nothing special about this place despite what some of the reviews on here suggest.

We paid what we felt was a lot of money for one night in this place, expecting luxury, expecting to be made to feel special on our wedding day. We had a great day but both wish we hadn't been taken in by the reviews on here and gone elsewhere instead.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Ann-Marie H
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review about your recent visit.

I was very sorry to read that you and your wife did not enjoy your upgraded room and that the suite that was allocated to you was not to your taste. We have not had any previous comments regarding the design of this room; however I will certainly discuss your feedback with our projects team.

All of our radio and TV channels are free to watch except for some premium movies and music videos that are available on pay per view.

I am sorry to hear that you did not appreciate the romantic turndown that was organised for you, especially as we receive a lot of complimentary feedback about this service. I do understand that the timing was not ideal for you which I have taken on board for future occasions and for which I apologise.

I was also disappointed to read your feedback about our afternoon tea and breakfast service. I can assure you that we only use the freshest and premium quality ingredients and again apologise if this was not to your satisfaction.

We very much value all the feedback on Trip Advisor and use these comments to improve the standards and services that we offer to our guests.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion and I would like to take the opportunity again to congratulate you on your wedding.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We spent two nights at The Montague on 12 & 13 March 2014. It was our first experience at this establishment and I hope we will have the chance to return many times again. It is a top class hotel - beautifully and tastefully fitted out with all the amenities and facilities that a first class hotel offers. Yet what sets The Montague apart from others is the absolutely exceptional helpful and friendly service all of its staff display - from the doormen, to the concierge staff, to cleaning staff to restaurant staff. Absolutely every staff member exceeded our expectations. It is a hotel that clearly also prides itself on attention to details and making sure it's customers feel spoilt. On check-in our restless 4 year old was quickly placated with a chocolate bar while we were surprised to be upgraded to a suite as we were staying to enjoy a wedding anniversary
celebration. The suite was absolutely exquisite and made our stay all the more special. But there was to be more - canapés each evening, a card signed by staff and a plate of sweet treats for our anniversary. Our son did not miss out either. He was invited to make and decorate cupcakes with a delightful young chef (apologies, I cannot recall her name but she was just so friendly and fun) - it was a brilliant activity that he absolutely loved and still talks
about. We have and will continue to recommend this establishment to all our family, friends and work colleagues travelling to London. Definitely the best hotel experience we have ever had. If you stay at this hotel I am sure you will not
be disappointed. Lawrence Family, Melbourne

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Nicole L
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review about your recent visit.

As much-valued guests I am delighted that we have met your expectations and made your wedding anniversary holiday with your family one to remember. I am also happy that you were happy with the amenities provided throughout the hotel.

Our staff take pride in all they do and it is always pleasing to receive such kind comments as yours. I am thrilled that they were exceptionally helpful and that the service was friendly. The team work hard to ensure that every guest’s stay is memorable for everyone especially children and so it is wonderful to read that your son enjoyed his cupcake experience with the Chef. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team and that their service is duly noted.

I would like to thank you for your positive recommendation to friends, family and collegues, this is highly appreciated.

I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming the Lawrence family back to the hotel in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Hotels are almost always about compromise. Even at the Montague this is the case - our room was very small (there are other larger rooms) but practical, clean and comfortable. At the end of the day, very few people come to a hotel to spend time in the room and this certainly did not overshadow the good points.
The location is fantastic if you need / want to be in this part of London; only a short walk to the nearest public transport routes and on the same street as the British Museum.
The level of service and attention to detail is top notch. From arrival to check-out the staff managed to deliver a service that was efficient and unobtrusive whilst maintaining a level of personal interaction that is rare nowadays. What is really excellent however is the fact that this applies to all the staff.
The Montague is a charming place with plenty of space in the traditionally decorated public areas. The bar is small on first site but extends well beyond the first room into conservatories and even into covered and heated outdoor spaces. Every available space is used for some purpose and this adds to the charm.
The food - both at breakfast and dinner was excellent and the service continued to be outstanding.
All in all an enjoyable and comfortable stay but what sets this hotel apart is the combination of excellent service and stylish old-world charm.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your recent visit.

I was sorry to read that you found your room to be small, however it is lovely to know that it was practical, clean and comfortable and that this did not overshadow your time at the Montague.

Our staff like to ensure our guests have a pleasant time with us and have everything they may need to ensure a comfortable and memorable stay and so it is always pleasing to receive such kind feedback as yours. I am delighted that you found the service and level of attention to be top notch. It is equally positive that the staff were efficient and unobtrusive whilst maintaining a level of personal interaction. We constantly endeavour to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I am pleased that you liked the Terrace Bar and public areas and that you had the opportunity to dine in The Blue Door Bistro, your lovely comments that breakfast and dinner were excellent are equally most appreciated.

I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed here numerous times and thought it's about time I said how fabulous this hotel is. The service is second to none, the staff are attentive and always have a smile. Breakfast is good and fresh, and the beautiful music in the bar area of an early evening is just lovely.

Room Tip: Accidentally clicked on swimming pool and spa because I was giving excellent for everything, my mist...
2 Thank Teresa C
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely review about your recent stay with us.

As a regular and much valued guest I am delighted that we have once again met your expectations and made your recent stay with us an enjoyable one.

It is wonderful to read that you feel the Montague is fabulous and that you find the service to be second to none. I am pleased that the staff are attentive and always smiling. We invest heavily in training our staff to provide first class customer care to ensure that our guests leave us feeling that they have received exceptional service. When these efforts are acknowledged it makes all our hard work worthwhile.

Your kind comments that the breakfast in The Blue Door Bistro is good and fresh and that you enjoy the Terrace Bar in the evenings are most appreciated.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Montague soon.